Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CacodemonLeader

An Ultra-Violence Speedrun for Void

After so many deaths (about over 100 deaths over 2 days or so), I've finally recorded a demo of running through Void with a time of 23:22, and that includes the time for the cinematics :\. Well anyways, here you go.

btw, you need Zdoom 2.0.50 to run this, as the newest version of Zdoom causes this demo to go out of sync :(

cacovoid.zip

Odd, I tried playing it and it ended while you were going down the retarded cliffs before the final boss.

That must have been a pain in the ass map to run, so many ways to die.

You should record more often, because the talent shows. :)

It's weird watching doom demos without the fps cap but I like it.

EDIT: played back fine for me, btw.

CacodemonLeader said:

After so many deaths (about over 100 deaths over 2 days or so), I've finally recorded a demo of running through Void with a time of 23:22, and that includes the time for the cinematics :\. Well anyways, here you go.

Hey, that was wild! I've not looked at that wad before. It's quite interesting.

Great demo - very tough. I think I would have fallen down in one of those pits on the pillar jumps. And decending that cliff made me real nervous. In fact, on each of your jumps I kept thinking, "he's not going to make it".

Also, the Final Boss showdown was facinating to watch.

Good stuff!

wow, I wasn't expecting any demos of this map given how easy it is to make a tiny error and die in many spots, but that was some nice work right there, keep it up man :)

Plays back fine for me.

Really fantastic stuff - those jumping puzzles look great when someone else is tackling them. :p

Thanks everyone. Yes the attempt was very tough but I managed to do it, and I did have a lot of falls, but the main problems in the map were the three crushing ceilings in a row and the duplicate of myself (Until I found out how to get past the ceilings and realizing that the Unmaker is useful for the evil version of myself)

I should do some more demos more often :)

Ling: The Demo runs fine on Zdoom 2.0.50, and the demo does not stop at the cliffs segment. The one mistake which would have been a failure, I typed a message explaining how close it was to falling too far. That was a close call.

I was impressed by cacodemonleader.
Yeah man you re a real marine,
I pried for you on the pit thing. :D

I've just tested this demo with zdoom 2.0.52 (the current version at the moment). Sadly it desyncs near the start.

Therefore if you want to watch this demo, you'll need a copy of 2.0.50 (50.cab), which is no longer available at http://www.zdoom.org/files/lars. If you haven't got a copy, ask here, and someone will provide you with the files one way or another. It's worth the trouble - this is a spectacular demo on a masterpiece of a map.

Demo compatibility between versions has never been a strong point for zdoom. :(

Grazza said:

That's an understatement.

Couldn't that be said the same for almost all of the other Doom engines in existance?

yes, but not Boom/Prboom... and the MBF+clones I think have compatibility until SMMU, IIRC.
Zdoom was never about Doom2 emulation as much as enhancement.
I think we should be thankful there is demo support at all.
No matter how much credit the source port developers get, I think that it is not enough.
DOOM is arguably the best game ever; with the source ports added on top of that, it is no contest.

Yes, some ports (most notably Eternity and Prboom, of those currently being developed) have support built in for many types of demos - indeed, this is one of the priorities for the teams behind them. Thus, even if the engine has changed significantly in a new version, it is still likely to play back demos recorded with older versions, or any of the demotypes (e.g. Boom, MBF) that those older versions supported.

Legacy even has a reasonable degree of compatibility between versions - I don't know how deliberate that is though. At any rate, Legacy demos from a year ago often tend to play back OK with the current version.

Anyway, the aim here wasn't to start an argument about ports, but just to alert people to this issue, and to suggest they don't delete their copy of 50.cab.

fortunatley the cabs themselves mereley contain the exe a dll and a wad so it's a quick and dirty job to have them lined up and overwrite your zdoom folder with whatever flavour yer after. i did it last night for a 47i demo, then stuck 50 back in there for void. which is why i am here

even though i'd read this thread first and new about the cliff part in advance i still nearly crapped my pants when you fell too far! that whole cliff section reeked of duke nukem imho.

i'd never gotten further than the first key on void as i just kept falling down the bloody holes. despite taking a two day break and attempting it again it still pissed me off so this demo at least let me see what i was missing. heh. the "small" part was pretty cool though it was obvious how it was done. oh, that's a duke nukem thing too come to think of it.

i did notice that after depositing the final key you nearly skidded too far when jumping on the wall on the way back, that and the pillars, eek!

Indeed, I'd be more eager to continue the heretic episodes if I wasn't expecting irony to take over and another zdoom release would come out tommorow, rendering the demos null and void again... as well as the bloody previous release disappearing from their file directory.

Right now I'm considering recording with 2.0.52 and having the working map screen for the demos.. and eventually redo the third episode.

Well, I decided to record another version of the Void Speedrun, and actually reduced the time too. Whereas the original version time is 23:22, the newer version's is 21:51. The newer version of the demo is for those who have Zdoom 2.0.52.

Speedrun will be up when approved...

clvoid52.zip

actually demo playback had been fairly good within the last couple of months, the major issue between 50 and 52 is that randy altered some of the hit detection for monsters so that zdoom checks if the actual bounding box gets hit and not a line running through the middle of the thing like doom does. he also altered how zdoom handles the blockmap to fix that bug where you can miss a monster at point blank range if it's standing in front of you. pretty big changes to the nitty gritty of the engine, which I'm assuming is responsible for the desync. this new demo (which I haven't watched yet, but I'm sure it's excellent :) will probably playback with future versions though