Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Grazza

Quick and Deadly UV Max

Nothing at all special (maybe 2 minutes should be the target time), but DooMBoy asked me to play his map. Actually, he asked me to play a newer version, but I prefer the one he uploaded to the archive.

qad-255.zip

Quick and Deadly (qad-255)

Good job! Very nice demo.

I just love chaotic battles. The higher the risk the greater the fun factor :).

Yes, it's a short enough run that you can throw caution to the winds - much more so than I did here, I'm sure.

Edit: Funny - upon watching it more carefully, I see that I did get a ghost demon this time too (in the text file I mention that one of them loused up an earlier attempt). Fortunately, in this demo it was killed (twice) by the splash damage from rockets that hit an archie. In fact, it being a ghost can actually be helpful, since your rockets go through it - just as long as the archie is close enough behind.

BTW, does anyone know if a dead ghost is always resurrected as a ghost, or is it resurrected normally (i.e. only as a ghost if it has been crushed the second time it is killed as well)?

Grazza said:
BTW, does anyone know if a dead ghost is always resurrected as a ghost, or is it resurrected normally (i.e. only as a ghost if it has been crushed the second time it is killed as well)?

Once a ghost is always a ghost.

Thanks. You'd better update that FAQ though: you can get ghost pain elementals. testimony (see text for map19 demo); hard evidence

One thing that doesn't appear to be covered in that FAQ is how and whether ghosts block player movement. I was fiddling around (to test what happened when ghosts were resurrected), and it seemed to me that the ghost demons blocked me during their attack frames, but not otherwise.

Okay downloaded the files and took a look.
You got the ghost PE in a PWAD that brings together a few handy things:
o Fast/steady crusher (one that doesn't slow way down when it touches a monster/player)
o PE that can reach the crusher
o Arch-Vile that can reach the crushed PE

May be almost impossible to get this same situation in Doom II Hell on Earth; usually one of those 3 things is missing.
However, I updated the FAQ (which currently only covers H.O.E.) anyway, since it is possible, though difficult, to get a crushed Lost Soul or PE, if it dies JUST as it's being squashed... i.e., an already-exploding Lost Soul can leave a crushed corpse if a door is closing down on it while it's dying.

Neat. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I'd seen crushed Lost Souls before (E2M2 is one place), but it didn't occur to me to try to get it to happen in Doom II, then have an Archie resurrect it.

I'll have a PWADless demo of a ghost PE on my site at some point...

Thanks again,

Led

I recall people saying that Lost Soul corpses can't be resurrected because Lost Souls have no respawn frames.

Indeed, that does seem to be the case. Twice now today I've had Archies running back and forth over perfectly-good crushed Lost Souls, and they've so far refused to resurrect 'em.
Hm.

Ryback said:

Here's another PE ghost demo.

And another (finally uploaded today)...
http://ClassicDOOM.com/ghostpe.zip
Plain Doom II v1.9 LMP; No PWAD required.
DOS, Doom95 and Boom-compatible.

Also included in the zip is a Slot-2 save-game file that basically allows a player to step into a simulation of the scenario at the end of the demo. Face the ghost PE yourself, let it chase you around, stuff like that.

BTW, I found myself wishing I could use the IDDT cheats when watching the playback; but since the demo's in Deathmatch mode, they don't work.
Is there a source port, or patch, that would allow that?

(I didn't really wanna make it a DM demo, but since you get keys automatically it seemed a quicker way to get what I was aiming for.)

Ledmeister said:

And another (finally uploaded today)...
http://ClassicDOOM.com/ghostpe.zip
Plain Doom II v1.9 LMP; No PWAD required.
DOS, Doom95 and Boom-compatible.

Also included in the zip is a Slot-2 save-game file that basically allows a player to step into a simulation of the scenario at the end of the demo. Face the ghost PE yourself, let it chase you around, stuff like that.

Heh, that was a pretty cool demo. I've always heard talk about the elusive ghost PE, but I never actually saw one until now. Sweet :)

I was thinking and not annotating. sorry.
I meant to say that PrBoom will show the other player(s) in demo playback.
I think Legacy does too, btw, IIRC.
no port I know of will allow any of the cheats to truly work (ie record). I'm sure one exists, but I'm not a port junkie who tries them all.
PrBoom has VIDD support, perhaps that goes part of the way???
sorry for the misinformation.

No prob.
What I looking for was a way to turn on all the green-triangle Thing indicators in the Automap, so I could check out what was going on with some monsters and other things that I didn't get a good look at in first-person view.
Anyway, I'll look around some more for another solution.
Thanks. :-)

Grazza said:

One thing that doesn't appear to be covered in that FAQ is how and whether ghosts block player movement. I was fiddling around (to test what happened when ghosts were resurrected), and it seemed to me that the ghost demons blocked me during their attack frames, but not otherwise.

I keep forgetting about getting back to you on that, sorry...
A ghost's vertical axis, and a player's, can't share the same space at the same time (this is why you can still telefrag a ghost). In theory your cores should always resist each other when they bump. I think it's more noticeable when the monster is attacking because it stands still... if the ghost is awake but not attacking, it's very easy for your cores to slip past each other.
Load the saved ghost PE (see previous posts) in Doom95 and type in the stealth code, and you can see what I mean about the axises es, er, axes, while the ghost is motionless but not attacking.

DooMBoy said:

Heh, that was a pretty cool demo. I've always heard talk about the elusive ghost PE, but I never actually saw one until now. Sweet :)

Thanks, glad you liked it. :-)