Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

editing quake/half-life is easier

i can make good quake/half-life levels easy but i cant use a doom editor worth crap. if doom used brushes/solids it would be really easy to crank out levles. in fact i can't even make a good room with a doom editor, but i can make a buetiful city for half-life.

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cares?

Well, if you try to think of Doom editing in a brushes/solids frame of mind of course it's going to be difficult. However, once you get the idea behind Doom editing it's ludicrously simple (assuming of course that you don't get yourself bogged down in sector references and stuff, which is actually pretty complex).

I think the main part of the attraction (Well, for me it is, at least) of Doom editing, is the fact that with Doom's limits (For the most part, no floors over floors, slopes, curves - discounting editing for ports) and the 'unique' way the levels are made (Sectors and sidedefs, instead of brushes and blocks) make it a challenge.

Overcoming these challenges is what makes it satisfying. And I think that I get more satisfaction out of making a good looking Doom level than I would making a good looking Quake3 level, for instance. It's harder to create great results when there are such limits.

But look at what the community is producing these days. It's amazing. A brief look, and you wouldn't beleive such limits exist at all.

And that's down to the determination from people who have learned to overcome the challenge.

If you did too, I'd bet you'd enjoy it ;)

Well, that's my two pence, anyhow.

Guest Fanatic

It's a matter of opinion.

Like riding a bicycle is harder than riding a motorcycle.

They are both different. I have a harder time making things in Quake and similar engines than with a 6 year old DOOM editor using 7 year old DOOM.

It's also a usage thing. You've probably edited for Quake more than DOOM, so of course it's easier for you to edit Quake.

I still prefer DOOM editing, even after designing stuff for Quake, Quake 2, Unreal, and the Genesis engines.

Man, Quake and all that crap is impossible to edit.

Of course part of that is that the editors are so technical you'd have to be the programmer to figure them out, and if you don't know how Quake works, then you're REALLY screwed. All you gotta do for Doom is draw lines, it can't get much simpler.

Says a CAD drafter...

I tried a little Quake mapmaking back in the day, and for me the hardest part was that it's impossible to edit a 3D structure on a 2D screen without having to resort to all sorts of complex interfaces. The standard 4-view window is an example: it's easy enough in theory, but when you have to click back and forth between them time and again to stretch a brush to the right dimensions, it quickly becomes a pain in the ass. Add in the fact that in order to see one part of the level in order to edit it, you have to hide the rest of the level geometry, and Doom editing just looks easier and easier.

dude....quake editing is INSANELY easy....ive been tryin to build levels for doom for like 4 months now and theyre all crap....i tryed quark for 2 dayz and i built a whole buncha cool shit . its just the fact that u can place block all over the place. but i like making levels for doom.... the levels for quake are easy to make...but for doom...its a lot simpler...hard to explain