Find results in...
Nanami

A New ZooM Weapon

How Should the New Gun Be Added?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How Should the New Gun Be Added?

• Get Rid of the Tri-Laser and Add the Assault Rifle
    • Just Add the Assault Rifle

ZDoom 53 came out, and it allows a few Strife weapons. Right when I heard that I knew I had to examine the weapons to see if any would fit in ZooM. Those of us on the team agreed that the assault rifle would be a good addition, however, we need a vote.

Right now we have one person who wants to replace an old weapon (the tri-laser gun; it shoots three weak/medium power projectiles and is about as strong as a shotgun if all three hit) with the assault rifle, and another person who just wants to ADD the assault rifle and not replace anything.

It's not too big of a decision, we just wanted to know what everyone else thinks. Adding this gun would bring us up to 14 weapons total. Post if you like, of course, but if you're a ZooM member make sure you post your opinion on the thread so we know your standpoint.

(Note: Neither of these guns will be in the upcoming ZooM demo, so the outcome of this poll may not be the final word)

The tri-laser gun is awful, it's pretty ugly, it's not nearly as powerful as a shotgun, nor as accurate, nor nearly as fast. Trying to hit a running Doom marine with a slow slow weapon that barely deals any damage is just ludicrous. It's just wasting space in the wad. And I think Zoom has more than enough weapons as it is. Frankly I'd feel safer with a pistol and never even touch the damn thing. I vote for option 1.

sargebaldy said:

The tri-laser gun is awful, it's pretty ugly, it's not nearly as powerful as a shotgun, nor as accurate, nor nearly as fast. It's just wasting space in the wad. And I think Zoom has more than enough weapons as it is. Frankly I'd feel safer with a pistol and never even touch the damn thing. I vote for option 1.

sargebaldy said:

The tri-laser gun is awful, it's pretty ugly, it's not nearly as powerful as a shotgun, nor as accurate, nor nearly as fast. Trying to hit a running Doom marine with a slow slow weapon that barely deals any damage is just ludicrous. It's just wasting space in the wad. And I think Zoom has more than enough weapons as it is. Frankly I'd feel safer with a pistol and never even touch the damn thing. I vote for option 1.

What sarge said, and I believe that any more weapons ideas after this one should be abandoned.

SlowMotionHobo said:

What sarge said, and I believe that any more weapons ideas after this one should be abandoned.

Well we weren't planning on adding any more guns anyway. But since 53 had more Strife support, the assault rifle seemed pretty good to add.

Hell, how are you gonna simulate the bullet wandering? That's the only damn thing keeping it from being a chaingun.

Of course not, we'd just be using Strife weapon effects. With ZDoom you can use Hexen, Heretic, Doom and now some Strife weapon effects. All that information is stored right in the engine. We'd be either be using replace sprites for the guns, or would just include the weapon sprites in the wad.

I've never seen the Trilaser but I think the Mauler would be a better choice than the assult rifle.

If you want some fun, add some phosphorus grenades, and the sigil weapons.

The 'trilaser' is heretic's crossbow.. which was all right in single player heretic, but in the fast paced play of zoom is completely ineffective.

Nanami said:

I believe we've already decided to remove the Tri-laser.

Firemace!

The thing that shoots those little bombs and they bounce around stupidly and split into other smaller balls?

No.

actually that doesn't look bad, take back my arguments on ugliness. but it is still completely useless, and that's what matters more :P

ravage said:

If you don't use those sprites, I'll find a use. :P

You took the mouth right out of my words. :P