Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Igor9

What kind of error can effect automap?

I am playing rw.wad and starting from map 05 onwards, the maps are all fully revealed at the start of every level. What kind of error can create this problem? I am assuming this is a map specific error because other wads do not have the same problem.

Yes, for example there's a map in earth.wad which is set in a maze of tunnels, nearly all at zero lighting, and in which the "never display on map" flag is ubiquitously set. The effect is that you are essentially blinded.

Furthermore the tunnels are populated by an off-map teleporter which randomises monster placement, so you never know what's round the next corner. It's one of the nastiest maps I've ever played.

There is a bug related to map display that I've seen sometimes. On some maps, at certain zoom factors (usually if you zoom out too much) the whole map disappears. I believe it is related to a badly constructed or overly large blockmap and can often be fixed by either running the map through a different nodebuilder, or using a different source port, or possibly both.

RjY said:

There is a bug related to map display that I've seen sometimes. On some maps, at certain zoom factors (usually if you zoom out too much) the whole map disappears. I believe it is related to a badly constructed or overly large blockmap and can often be fixed by either running the map through a different nodebuilder, or using a different source port, or possibly both.

That happens when the displayed map coordinates go beyond the range of -32767,32767. It's a simple internal calculation overflow. AFAIK ZDoom is the only port that fixed this. It has nothing to do with the blockmap. If it had the map would be unplayable (the blockmap is the most important resource during gameplay and you would see all kinds of strange effects if it was corrupted.)