Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should I Make Gate?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should I Make Gate?

• Yes! Make Gate! I want to see the episode worked on.
    • No! Don\'t make Gate! It\'s a waste of your time.
    • WTF, I\'ve never played any of these levels, why am I voting?

If any of you have played Grind2, Dream, or Heart, I made those. They're part of an episode I've been doing for a while which I intended to have six levels. However, I had a difficult time finishing Heart. My question is... does anyone think I should continue?

The next level in the series would be called "Gate," and will be the level that has the portal to Hell. I thought for a long time, and I wanted the portal to be quite elaborate and decorative, but thinking about it eventually led me to believe I was setting myself up for failure. I'm running low on "tricks" to use (all the maps up until now have explored new and interesting tricks and ideas), and I'm not sure if I could continue or not.

Any comments?

I haven't played any of your levels, but I'll make note of them and download them sometime.
As for "running of of tricks", I don't think that's quite possible. There is always something that no one has done before, it's justa matter of expanding on 'already done' techniques.
If you still think you are running out of ideas, next time, try not using them all at once :)

If you play her levels, you'll realize that she really does incorporate VANILLA tricks. This series uses tricks that can be achieved in vanilla, and a port is only required to remove limits. Watching the progress of heart was quite interesting, and I look forward to what new stuff this next level may have.

Actually, now that I think about it, why are you doing this instead of ZooM?!?111

Mancubus II said:

Actually, now that I think about it, why are you doing this instead of ZooM?!?111

I've been waiting for the last 3-4 days for Sarge to return the wad to me.

By all means! :)

The community needs good quality, but still straight-edge (as opposed to feature-whoring Zdoom and Legacy stuff) Doom wadpacks. That offer true back to the basics Doom action while still looking damn good! You wads seem to fit the bill.

Secondly all of your wads have a mish-mash of styles so no one is going to complain about the episode lacking unity. The only problem could be that some of the previous wads needs a bit of sprucing up in the detail compartment to conform with the later ones. There is nothing wrong with the action I assure you.

By all means work on the next one. Heart was top rate. There are tons of tricks in there that can be re used in a different setting.

You don't even have to have that kind of detail to make me happy ;) I love players maps, eye candy is secondary to that.

I recorded a UV Max of heart.wad - see Demo Forum.

I seldom expend the effort unless I think the wad is pretty good.

Your work is interesting and makes for good gameplay. As for zdoom-only wads, my primary interest is in recording so I really don't have much interest as the version keeps changing and demo support is lost; however, it's fine for features and general playing.

Rich said:

I recorded a UV Max of heart.wad - see Demo Forum.

Hm, I took a quick look and didn't see it. Can you show me where? I've love to watch it.

Nanami said:

Hm, I took a quick look and didn't see it. Can you show me where? I've love to watch it.

Sorry you didn't see it. I was hoping you would watch back when I recorded it.

I just checked and, to my surprise, it looks like they deleted page #3 of the demo forum.

I checked still further and found I had improved that particular demo to 10:16. If you send me an email address (my address can be found in one of my demos on the Demo Forum) I will send you a copy.

Yes!11 Make it. Even if you run low on tricks it'll still stay in theme with the first 3 because of the reta..er, original theme.

Rich said:

I checked still further and found I had improved that particular demo to 10:16. If you send me an email address (my address can be found in one of my demos on the Demo Forum) I will send you a copy.

Kara@xfury.net

insertwackynamehere said:

Why stop? If you enjoy it, you should do it!

and if you're satisfied with what you are doing, then keep doing it.