Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Duker900

Hey uhh whut about monster names?

So if you make a free version of doom, don't you need to think up new names for monsters? post thoughts here heh.

Given that the monster names are in the actual source code (as in the doom 2 endgame monster line-up), I'm not sure we can/will change anything. :)

We are only making an iwad, and the monster names never crop up in doom.wad or doom2.wad anyway.

I think we should allow the artists who draw the monsters the freedom to name them, I dont think we should be restricted by the fact that the names are in the exe, as its a pretty pedantic thing. Same goes for level names - at the moment, the level names are those of the original doom because we cant change the names displayed in the map, but I personally dont think we should be restricted to using the same level names as the original just because of this one tiny issue. We can change them with a dehacked patch, this is ugly although its only a cosmetic thing anyway. Anyone else have any opinions on this?

I dont think we should be restricted by the fact that the names are in the exe, as its a pretty pedantic thing.

Worrying about the levels names at all is "pedantic".

If you worry about that, then you have to worry about the texture names. Let's please use consistent reasoning.

Using a dehacked patch is "ugg". A good way to discourage wide use. Where will that end?

Someone wrote that many levels are BOOM only type levels. If that's true, then you have eliminated a big problem. Probably not a true statement?

I dont think we should be restricted by the fact that the names are in the exe, as its a pretty pedantic thing.

Worrying about the levels names at all is "pedantic".

If you worry about that, then you have to worry about the texture names. Let's please use consistent reasoning.

Using a dehacked patch is "ugg". A good way to discourage wide use. Where will that end?

Someone wrote that many levels are BOOM only type levels. If that's true, then you have eliminated a big problem. Probably not a true statement?

We are allowing boom effects in the levels, basically they should be boom compatible. Boom effects are widespread enough now to be considered "standard". All the large ports (Zdoom, Legacy, Boom/Prboom/MBF, SMMU/Eternity, EDGE etc) support boom effects.

There is some dispute about naming of things: some people want it to just be a drop in free version of doom2.wad. Personally, I think we have to accept the fact the fact it wont be identical to doom2.wad. In any case, I personally think that we should make something that is distinct and not just a clone of doom.

Almost all ports nowadays support dehacked and the few that dont, dont really suffer much anyway as it would just be a cosmetic thing to tweak the various messages.

That's a good thing. The regular DOOMx.exe won't work with it so that avoids the issue of compatibility with the commercial IWAD. It really is not compatible with the original game.

Sounds more and more like a regular TC to me (just a big one). Hopefully most here will agree that DOOMxxx or xxxDOOM is not an unusual name for TCs.

its the only real tc ever made. I dont think we should use doom in the title (see appropriate thread). It wont need an iwad to run so its fundamentally different.

I think we should allow the artists who draw the monsters the freedom to name them, I dont think we should be restricted by the fact that the names are in the exe, as its a pretty pedantic thing. Same goes for level names - at the moment, the level names are those of the original doom because we cant change the names displayed in the map, but I personally dont think we should be restricted to using the same level names as the original just because of this one tiny issue. We can change them with a dehacked patch, this is ugly although its only a cosmetic thing anyway. Anyone else have any opinions on this?

How about using BEX instead of DEH?

How about using BEX instead of DEH?

As we're designing it for boom compatible ports this would seem to make sense at first. However, some ports are "boom level compatible" but dont support the BEX extensions. We might as well go for the lowest common denominator (DEH) as .deh can do everything that .bex does, only in more ports.

I dont think any fundamental DEH stuff should be used anyway, so BEX would be a bit useless, what particular extension were you thinking of?