Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fanatic

MIDI Music Class

Guest Fanatic

Since it was wiped out with the recent changes (which seem to be somewhat good, even though historical data was lost), I'll post this again.

I've started the MIDI Music Class. You just need a sound card, but the class is oriented around using custom Sound Font banks I create. So a Sound Blaster AWE32/64 or Live! card is preferred. I've provided the GM patches that you can substitute too.

http://www.doomworld.com/fanatic (click the MIDI CLASS button on the left for all the details).

This first song project is due this Saturday, but you can turn it in early if you like.

Speaking of soundfonts...does anyone knows where you can download freeware soundfonts banks? If that exists, of course...

Ask Fanatic, he probably knows.

I'm working on mine at the moment... stupid Cakewalk won't let me go faster than 16th notes so I'm not exactly getting where I want, but it's turning out to have a little potential.

Guest Fanatic

Just search for "sound font" or "sf2". There are a bazillion free ones online all over the place.

Just like WADs tho, a lot suck. :)

Thanks for the tip, altough I recall making that once. I ended in places like Sonic Implants where you need to buy them...

They at least have demos, right? I wouldn't expect to pay for a soundfont I've never heard, no matter how good they say it is.

Yeah but the demo sucks big time. They're ussually kick ass instruments, but only 3 or 5 notes are stored. I'm precisely looking for unique samples in EVERY note, I don't wanna synthesize them.

Oh, I figured it would be time-delayed or something. Demos are getting a lot more useless nowadays, you almost have to find a copy of the full thing to make a proper judgement on whether you'd use the program or not. One wave editor demo I tried a few weeks ago let you use two features (one being a "save") before it disabled everything else. They deserve to have their products pirated when they make the demos like that.

Guest Fanatic

I've received the first submission! Sounds good too!