Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erik

CChest map12 max.

from the txt:

I made a demo for this a long time ago, but I lost it. I don't remember my old time, but I think it's about the same as this.

This map is fantastic, easily on my top 10 maps ever list. The gameplay isn't too hard, but the map is long. I fuck up 2-3 times in this demo (I fall down in the slime room with walkways, I never seem to be able to handle that room well. I also take a detour for health in that room). Also, the route isn't very standard, and sometimes I forget where to go next.

time is 27:02, this is a pretty long map =)

cc12-uv.zip

Great demo for that map. And you are right, it is a very long map to get through. The best I've been able to do on it so far (using Zdoom) is about 34 minutes. Still working on it though. But I wanted to ask a question about recording a demo on that map using Zdoom. As you know, Zdoom notifies you with a message and a sound that you have found a secret area, and it gives you a count of how many secrets you have found versus how many secrets there are in the whole map. Prboom does not keep that count for you.

Here's what I'm running into on one part of the map: After I get the red key and I'm still in that same room, I go to activate the door that opens in the wall and leads outside to the perch where the 100% Health boost is. Sometimes when I land, it may give me the health boost but it doesn't give me the message that a secret has been revealed? Thus when I complete the map, it will show 100% kills but only 80% secrets found. That makes it tough because by that time, you have a raging horde of ghouls standing around the pillar you're standing on, and you have little time to get your ass off of it and on to other places. Does anybody run into that problem with Prboom or any of the other ports? And is that something that might could be fixed? Just wondering. Thanks.

I get it sometimes, it happens mostly if you run out too quickly and don't land on the pillar properly. Make sure you move out slowly (which can be hard due to the horde below).

Marco said:

Prboom does not keep that count for you.

You can get prboom to display the number of kills, items and secrets by switching to a Boom-style HUD instead of the standard status bar (you can do this by pressing "+" twice).

However, when recording a Max demo, that gives you an unfair advantage over someone recording with the real game (they have no way of knowing these things until the stats screen appears), so it can be considered at least a mild form of cheating.

Grazza said:
However, when recording a Max demo, that gives you an unfair advantage over someone recording with the real game (they have no way of knowing these things until the stats screen appears), so it can be considered at least a mild form of cheating.

Just another reason why it's not sensible to compare demos recorded with different engines. :-)

Hey Erik, I found the original demo you recorded on my other computer. Thanks for making a new demo!

As for that secret, I knew that could happen in the original engine but never suspected zdoom. Then again I usually clear the room then get the supercharge afterwards.

cc122819.zip