Sign in to follow this  
Kristian Ronge

Hell Revealed Map 32 Skill 2 Pacifist

From the .txt ->

"I was playing around with some HR maps on the lower skills levels and
discovered that there wasn't any boss shooter in HR map 32 on skills
3 and below... and that Yonatan was kind enough to throw in a Romero
head on skills 1-2. :-)

So I figured it would be possible to complete this map pacifist style.
Of course, the run I make here is nearly impossible in vanilla DooM 2,
because you cannot make the arch-Vile jump over the packs of monsters.

If you manage to land on the ground right next to Romero's head the
barons' fireballs will kill him off quite quickly.."

Time is 0:35, recorded in ZDooM 1.22. Hope you like this demo, it's freaky stuff.

Since the attachment feature in this forum is a bit screwed up ATM, I've used *gasp* my own web space to supply the demo! :-)

http://www.d.kth.se/~d99-kro/demos/hp32-035.zip

I liked it! Pretty extreme blast from archie. :)

Now that I think of it, I saw a similar blast in what I believe was one of Chris Ratcliff's preliminary demos of a scythe map. In that one he was thrown from atop one ledge onto another across a very large room. I've not seen anything like that until now.

I'm sure Erik or Chris will remember should they read this post. In the meantime I'll try to locate the level.

Sounds like Torn's map31 (demo: sc31-401). The jump turned out not to be necessary (or the quickest route) though.

Yes, it was level 31.

I just did an iddqd demo and got blasted back and forth from ledge to ledge a couple of times. I didn't bother to check the distance under my editor because it really doesn't matter. The illusion of distance is what is impressive.

Chris used it at the time because he didn't see the side pillars where you could run across. Good thinking.

For a similar one, see Vile's hr14-147. Of course, there are also the Plutonia map12 demos, but there the jump is rocket-assisted too.

What makes Vile's even more impressive are the extreme conditions he was working under.

Rich said:
I liked it!

Thank you, Rich. You're very kind. I'm glad to hear that. :-)

Pretty extreme blast from archie. :)

Hm.. I think (not sure because I haven't checked since I recorded) that it's a combination of blasts.. I seem to recall - incorrectly? - that the jump is sort of "two steps"; I first get shot up a bit in the air by one Arch-Vile and then another one "takes over" and shoots me further up. :-)

It has happened to me at other times as well, for example in MM map 23 if you hang around too long in the blue/yellow key room, or HR map 22. The distance you can cover is enormous.

Now that I think of it, I saw a similar blast in what I believe was one of Chris Ratcliff's preliminary demos of a scythe map. In that one he was thrown from atop one ledge onto another across a very large room. I've not seen anything like that until now.

That was indeed map 31 of Scythe (Torn's map). Ryback's demo is one of my favourite demos of the last year. :-D

Rich said:
Chris used it at the time because he didn't see the side pillars where you could run across. Good thinking.

Yeah.. I'd played Scythe through prior to watching those great demos.. And I myself had wondered how to get across (I killed the Arch-Vile pretty quick, I've made a habit of doing so when I can!), but in the end I did find the "ledge". So I was thinking "What the..? Why didn't he just run across!?" when I saw that demo.

"Of course.. that's *one* way to do it.." ;-P

hmmm... Maybe I should have made so the arch-vile were the only way to get to the secret exit (however in the old version it were a blue door, but erik removed that :P).

Edit: btw the jump size is 320units.