Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
maga

I raise another question

with that much load of detail and sound and such, do you think that "the game" will be released on more than 1 cd ?
Is the DVD the solution of the problem ?

That's a good question. I've never seen a FPS that was more than 1 CD, and If "the game" is more than 1 CD, it wouldn't be by much. All the games I've played that are more than 1 disk usually have lots of FMV, which kills lots of space, but any cutscenes in Doom will likely use the game engine, so the real space eaters will be textures and sound(including music). Actually, I just remembered that Alien Vs Predator was 2 disks, but one of the disks was entirely CD audio.
I guess it's possible that Doom could devote one CD to music, an then the rest of the game would probably fit on one disk, but then copy protection might go down the tube and...oh, whatever. We'll just wait and see.

That's a good question. I've never seen a FPS that was more than 1 CD.

Dark Forces 2.

Never thought about it before.
That's interesting. I still hope for a bonus-cd, with a 'making of' or something on it.

I'm so sure it will be at least 2 cds. Alice already comes in 2 CD's. You have to remember the exponential amount of detail compared to Quake 3.

That's a good question. I've never seen a FPS that was more than 1 CD, and If "the game" is more than 1 CD, it wouldn't be by much.

Unreal Tournament has 2 cds..
And so does Aliens Vs Predator

With an engine like that, they can safely cut out any cinematics, wich will of course free a couple of hundred megs on the disc, so i don't think they'll go over two discs this time.

The ammount of 2d art will be increased a lot. texture detail wil probably be higher that q3, + bump-maps for everything. The geometrical data is gonna eat a LOT of space too, now that there's 10k polys on models and stuff like that. So they'll need the space :) Of course, music is gonna take more space than anything.

I don't think DVD is the solution to the problem.
You see, DVD ROMS are still not very common in today's world meaning that not all people have them.
I think the game will ship on a single CD (remember, there are no cutscenes and the game is an FPS, not a quest nor an adventure).

Personally, I think we should just pistol whip the JPL scientists until the finish working on their rewritable solid-state architecture media. But then again, I just love a good pistol whipping.

DC