Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SoM

New SoM site!

Hey, I know this isn't *technically* eternity related, but I figure that since most of the content will be eternity related, I could go ahead and announce it here:

I opened a new website! Yay!

http://som.mancubus.net/

you can go there and see what I'm working on and what I've done. All the content is eternity related right now (except for "A penny for your thoughts?" but that's not importaint)

What is importaint right now is that you can see a bunch of shots of portals in action and even a screen shot of preliminary high res support in eternity (currently capping out at 1024x768)
anyway, let me know what you guys think.

SoM said:
preliminary high res support in eternity (currently capping out at 1024x768)

!!!

And OMG, release a beta with those skyboxes / portals already. Judging from the screenies it's even better than I'd hoped it to be!

Mordeth said:

!!!

And OMG, release a beta with those skyboxes / portals already. Judging from the screenies it's even better than I'd hoped it to be!

They are already in the code for the next release. I have no idea when that will be, but they should be out pretty soon...

Fredrik said:

Site = beautiful.

Portals = awesome.

Couldn't be better!

:D Thanks fredrik!

SoM said:

They are already in the code for the next release. I have no idea when that will be, but they should be out pretty soon...

Probably some time this month ^_^

Legacy dies and SoM's code goes to Eternity. Apart from Quasar's thought that SoM's portal code crashes Legacy (emphasis: Legacy), I definitely want to see this.

BTW, SOM if you're reading this... is it possible you could send me a small demo level of skyboxes / portals? Not the actual engine of course, but the (for me) unplayable level itself. I'd like to confirm how this is done before I go off and plan some... stuff :)

Mordeth said:

BTW, SOM if you're reading this... is it possible you could send me a small demo level of skyboxes / portals? Not the actual engine of course, but the (for me) unplayable level itself.

He'll give you the actual engine beta if you ask nicely :)

And if you live as close to him as I do, you get an in-person tutorial as well.

Lüt said:
He'll give you the actual engine beta if you ask nicely :)

I'd like to stress that I'm not asking for a PRIVATE beta version of Eternity. Just the demo level would suffice, since that tells me everything I need to know.

Are portals purely visual or can you interact with enemies in them?(eg shoot an imp in the portal sector and have him react properly)

Anyway it's a very nice effect, no more crappy steptop bridges :)

heh, quas sent me a copy with the portals + som's demo map, and it's really awesome :) i still have no idea what any of these linedefs do though so i can't really play around with it much :P

Szymanski said:

Are portals purely visual or can you interact with enemies in them?(eg shoot an imp in the portal sector and have him react properly)

purely visual. i asked quas' about having ai work between portals and he said that would take a complete engine rewrite :P nevertheless they're a powerful mapping tool.

Mordeth said:

BTW, SOM if you're reading this... is it possible you could send me a small demo level of skyboxes / portals? Not the actual engine of course, but the (for me) unplayable level itself. I'd like to confirm how this is done before I go off and plan some... stuff :)

Um, my mailserver doesn't seem to be working right now... O_O however, it says the message was sent and then I get the error message that my server isn't accepting STMP (or whatever) requests or something so if you get two e-mails from me with attachments then I'm sorry for the duplicate messages, if not I need to bitch out my ISP

SoM said:
my server isn't accepting STMP (or whatever) requests

It's SMTP :) Which is needed to send mail so yes, you need to bitch at your ISP. BTW, I'll drop by IRC tonight :)

[EDIT] BTW, maybe you should put a 'before applying effect' screenshot next to the screenshots showing off portals and skyboxes so people can instantly see what effect has been added.

Mordeth said:

BTW, maybe you should put a 'before applying effect' screenshot next to the screenshots showing off portals and skyboxes so people can instantly see what effect has been added.

http://som.mancubus.net/

Your wish is my command!

Just out of curiousity those pics of the anchored portals as you call them look like 3d floors. Is this real or just another trick to mimic 3d flooring?

The Doomer said:

Just out of curiousity those pics of the anchored portals as you call them look like 3d floors. Is this real or just another trick to mimic 3d flooring?

Look at the before and after. Notice that the only thing that has changed is you can see the rocky walls extend past the green ceiling thing. It's not really 3d floors, it's another part of the level that's rendered inside a floor/ceiling/wall.

Mordeth said:

See? I do have some good ideas :)

Hehe, yeah. :) Plus your idea gave me a chance to use goatse!

Ok. Thanks SOM. Never the less that effect looks really good. It looks like a great way to mimic the floor over floor effect. ;)

The Doomer said:
Ok. Thanks SOM. Never the less that effect looks really good. It looks like a great way to mimic the floor over floor effect. ;)

It's just an example. The real power lies in that you can do that for eg. complex outdoor scenery and architecture without hardly any effort.

Julian said:
SoM pwns. And he's of exquisite company when going to a restaurant too. ;)

SoM's french, too?

Mordeth said:

SoM's french, too?

You're not aware that Julian spent the last 10 days living with me, are you?