Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sirjuddington

BloodRust Release

If any of you remember a while back I posted some screenies from my project 'BloodRust'. Anyway I've finally finished and fixed up everything (hopefully), and released the thing.

Grab it here, if you're interested. It's also in /incoming, so it should be reviewed in this weeks /newstuff chronicles...

Oh, and it seems I've left an unfinished map in there (MAP32). It was going to be part of the project, but didn't really fit the theme. So yeah, think of it as a 'sneak preview' of BloodRust episode 2, if I ever bother to make it :P

Oh yeah, I tested this set a while back, nice fun short maps for people like me with short attention spans. Probably ought to check out the final release, I don't think my version had as many maps as this.

This set definitely has the gameplay as well as good looks, excellent work!

Well after finishing my opinion is somewhat altered. It started out great and played excellently, though I had to hunt for ammo a bit to finish the last map. Perhaps more conservative play would have fixed that, but there are other issues.

http://stickmen.dreyermachine.com/vile/doom0001.png
http://stickmen.dreyermachine.com/vile/doom0002.png

These are shots from map10 (after the red door) taken in zdoom showing some weird texture anomalies, which probably also explain why the level will crash prboom on startup. I suggest trying to fix these and shoot for a rerelease, because this is quite a fun mapset. :)

Vile said:

Well after finishing my opinion is somewhat altered. It started out great and played excellently, though I had to hunt for ammo a bit to finish the last map. Perhaps more conservative play would have fixed that, but there are other issues.

http://stickmen.dreyermachine.com/vile/doom0001.png
http://stickmen.dreyermachine.com/vile/doom0002.png

These are shots from map10 (after the red door) taken in zdoom showing some weird texture anomalies, which probably also explain why the level will crash prboom on startup. I suggest trying to fix these and shoot for a rerelease, because this is quite a fun mapset. :)

Hehe, oops. That was Doom Builder adding textures where it wasn't meant to (back from the version that did that). I just forgot to fix it up...

Ok I've reuploaded it, hopefully there aren't any more bugs. PRBoom/GLBoom don't seem to like map 10, but all other ports I've tried (including the original doom2.exe) don't have a problem with it.

SlayeR said:

Ok I've reuploaded it, hopefully there aren't any more bugs.

Well I'm afraid I just found another one :|

At the very beginning of map02, back away from the door and look to your left. There's a great big HOM there (well okay, not that big ;) ).

Anyway, great set of maps. The general brought back strong memories of playing certain oldshool wads (Obtic, TTP, Memento Mori 1) for the very first time :)

You know, you could have at least given me and Mark Klem a little mention in your text file. I think over half of the new music you used is ours.

Especially considering you superceded your own copyright notice:

"... Permissions have been obtained from original authors for any of their resources modified or included in this file..."

Random?

Heh. Memento Mori 2, Strain, Gothic DM2... ?
Not really random.

s'ok. I'm just flipping you some shit.

Thanks for making this, that was the most fun I had since Endgame! The maps are just awesome looking and detailed perfectly. I also admire the texture scheme, although most of the early maps seem to blend together. Map7 and up really stand out, fun layouts and nice textures. Gameplay has a nice curve, hard but never annoying. Please consider making another episode!

Tolwyn said:

Random?

Heh. Memento Mori 2, Strain, Gothic DM2... ?
Not really random.

s'ok. I'm just flipping you some shit.

Hehe, so you and Mark make good music ;)

I'm actually meant to be making MIDIs for the Hellcore PC, but for about a year I haven't had much inspiration (or good software :/)

Use3D said:

Please consider making another episode!

Heh, based on the success of this, I am certainly considering it. If I do go through with it the maps will probably be more gothic/hell styled...

Yeah. I'm having fun playing through it.
By the way. I don't mind if ANYONE uses MY midis. You'll have to email Mark for permission from him. I can't imagine him saying no, I just can't speak for him.

I was just picking on you, Slayer.
http://www.doomworld.com/tolwyn is the website where all my MIDIs are. Nowadays, I do MP3. As soon as my studio is unpacked, that is.

I actually enjoyed the fact that the levels were a little "smaller." It's kinda refreshing.

Deewiant said:

There's HOM behind one of the pillars behind the start in MAP02.

NiGHTMARE said:

At the very beginning of map02, back away from the door and look to your left. There's a great big HOM there (well okay, not that big ;) ).

Very fun maps and they look great as well. One question though, is there any way to get at the 3 imps in sector 699 in map 10 (upper left hand corner)? They're keeping me from 100% kills and I can't see a way into the room, even looking in the editor it doesn't seem like there's a way. But all in all, the maps are great and you should definately do another episode Slayer. :D

Optiks said:

One question though, is there any way to get at the 3 imps in sector 699 in map 10 (upper left hand corner)? They're keeping me from 100% kills and I can't see a way into the room, even looking in the editor it doesn't seem like there's a way.

Oops, that door is meant to open...

/me really should have playtested map10 more...