Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Best 5 single-level wads?

I'm not sure right now. I don't think I've played enough of the classics yet to say. Iyo, what's your favorite single level wad in terms of atmosphere, detail, gameplay, whatever?

KZDoom1 and Coecits. Meh. I suck at recalling single level WADs and most really good levels are stuck in megawads anyway.

Canthide.wad

But seriously, this is a tough one. These are all I can think of for now:

Nullspace (Doom 2)
Crypts (Heretic)
Lychgate (Hexen)

Tough question, since most of my favourite individual maps are in multi-map wads (see here for a list of them that I made a while ago).

I suppose 5 fave single-level wads would be:
City in Chaos (cic)
Mines of Titan (mines)
Waterfront (wtrfront)
Kaboom (by Deep - the earlier version dated 12-Apr-04)
Simpevil

I haven't really played many single level WADs, but out of the few I did, I liked Galaxia. It was big, it had several styles mixed quite nicely (The industrial zone, the spider cages, the caves, the train tracks, the sewers) and most of all, I really like the music. Of course, it's not really good by today's standards, but for the time I played it, it was really nice.

Converted DOOMer said:

nuts2.wad

I hope that's better than nuts.wad. I mean over 10000 enemies in one HUGE less than 1FPS square, it would take you HOURS to complete that on degreelessness, but as for my list...

I haven't played many single map wads so this might be an odd list.

Void
Enjay's Marine Assault

Well... that's all I can think of right now... but you might like two of my own better maps.

DTCA 32 - Easy Breezy
DTCA 19 - Master Lift Access

19 has been tested for difficulty and ammo supplies while 32 I never tested on harder difficulties, just one more thing to fix for the final version.

Doom Arcade

This might not be a "Single-Map" wad, but you can only reach the second map by using IDCLEV, MAP MAP##, or CHANGELEVEL MAP##... so I consider it Single-Map... it's tough though.

0-Mephisto-0 said:

Just wait for NutsX.wad, it has more than 1.8 million monsters.

Well, taht's not even funny anymore. That's insanity. /Me speakless.

cyber-menace said:

I hope that's better than nuts.wad. I mean over 10000 enemies in one HUGE less than 1FPS square, it would take you HOURS to complete that on degreelessness

The current record is 39 seconds (with no cheats). Nuts.wad nearly made my list; I found Nuts2.wad relatively disappointing.

Grazza said:

The current record is 39 seconds (with no cheats). Nuts.wad nearly made my list; I found Nuts2.wad relatively disappointing.

39 SECONDS?! WITHOUT CHEATS?!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS OR JUST MENATLLY ILL?! The only way I can conceive that possible is that the frame rate caused the time to slow down immensely. That many Cyberdemons with a BFG couldn't be destroyed fast enough... I'll believe it when I see a demo!

39 seconds is the UV Pacifist/Speed record. Click the link I gave for details and other categories. The demos can be downloaded from here.

Janizdreg said:

DemoniZed (demonizd.zip)

That's two maps. Otherwise it would have been on my list instead of Simpevil (which I find somehow similar, but less extreme).

My Favs in no particular order would be...

1. Deus Vult

2. Metamorphism

3. Atomic Tomb

4. Tantrum 2

5. Venom

But my all time favorites are maps that come from other megawads... Map 24 of Hell Revealed and Map 32 of Hell Revealed II are among the best of the best...

sargebaldy said:

DemoniZed appears to have two maps.

Hm, I had totally forgotten it indeed had a second map...probably because I never liked it nearly as much as the first one.

Grazza said:

39 seconds is the UV Pacifist/Speed record. Click the link I gave for details and other categories. The demos can be downloaded from here.

Bah, the link only freezes my browser. The only way I can see that as possible is running on top of all the enemy's heads to the exit, unless you DO have to destroy them all...

cyber-menace said:

Bah, the link only freezes my browser.

Weird. You can get them here too.

The only way I can see that as possible is running on top of all the enemy's heads to the exit, unless you DO have to destroy them all...

No, you run around or between them. All those demos are recorded with ports that don't allow running on top of enemies' head.

Stealthy Ivan said:

4. Yakworld

That's a fun wad (by coincidence, I played it - well, the expanded Doom2 version - a few hours ago). It has more than one map though.