Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
geekmarine

Freedoom name dangerous?

Um, hey, I know the whole "Freedoom" name thing was discussed a long time ago, and I don't really remember the details of it, but I was just randomly surfing the web when I noticed that Freecraft was shut down on account of the fact that it's name was too similar to Warcraft or something like that. Maybe it's not something we have to worry about at all, but I just thought that attention should be brought to the issue, just in case.

In any name where you use 'free', open, 'G' or 'K' somehow tell it is free.
Like Freedoom, OpenFT (gift.sf.net), Gnome and KDE. Bweebol.

EDIT: Let me rephrase: Everything which has 'free' or 'open' in its name, or a big 'G' or 'K' is dangerously in subject to be taken to be free.

I think id Software is a long way from caring about stuff like this. They're too busy trying decide what color ferrari to drive today.

Besides. Freedoom has a great ring to it (sounds like freedom). Freecraft doesn't have that same quality.
Doomnation had the same little gimmick that just made the name all that better. May it rest in peace.

Rellik said:

I think id Software is a long way from caring about stuff like this. They're too busy trying decide what color ferrari to drive today.

Maybe after Doom 3 is out. Right now I think they're too busy deciding what shade of grey to put on the ceiling in the most recent corridor.

lol Thank you Captain Obvious. Yeah, I know, I'm always a bit behind (heck, part of me is still living in the 80s), but you know, I felt it'd be better to bring it up and look like a fool than have id shut us down or something. And hey, don't laugh at their ceiling-color dilemmas. It can be a very difficult decision. The average computer can display 32-bit color, which is I don't know how many shades of gray. And I mean, you're gonna have to try each one, because you never know how you're gonna feel about it until you've seen it in the game. No wonder Doom 3 is taking so long to make!

geekmarine said:

The average computer can display 32-bit color

That's not true. Most computers don't even display colors at all.

Fredrik said:

Maybe after Doom 3 is out. Right now I think they're too busy deciding what shade of grey to put on the ceiling in the most recent corridor.

Didn't you make Vrak 3?

geekmarine said:

The average computer can display 32-bit color, which is I don't know how many shades of gray.

Actually the colors only have 24bit, the last 8bit are the alpha channel.

boris said:

[i]geekmarine said:
The average computer can display 32-bit color, which is I don't know how many shades of gray.

Actually the colors only have 24bit, the last 8bit are the alpha channel.

Yet, computers still do not display color. Either it is your graphics card (also wrong) or your monitor. And honestly, your monitor can display an infinite number of colors due to VGA cable (analog) (if applicable).

Even if you have 24bit o' color you still only have 8bit o' grayshades, as teh RGB values all need to be the same to form white (+/- brightness). Thus, 8bit == 256.

Hirogen2 said:

Even if you have 24bit o' color you still only have 8bit o' grayshades, as teh RGB values all need to be the same to form white (+/- brightness). Thus, 8bit == 256.

That's not exactly true, you can obtain more shades of grey by storing a saturated color and converting it to grey in the DAC.

The real issue is how many shades of grey you can get with 64-bit. Also I am running for governor of Canada.

aaaaaaanyway, if freedoom became an issue we could just rename it then, I suppose.

(I was apposed to 'freedoom' at the time but nothing particularly good was proposed, except EL SMASHO)