Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ZZ_TOPPER_X

Hoop-dee Doop-dee VI! ID vs 3dRealms! DOOM vs. Duke Nukem 3D! Doomguy vs. Duke Nukem!

Guest ZZ_TOPPER_X

(BBG suggested this one)
Give three good and bad points about each.

Guest ZZ_TOPPER_X

For one thing... does Duke 3D have source ports?

honestly i would say ID is a kick ass company, many of there games kick ass and set standards. They also deliver their games and work hard, never really heard of many game delayed by ID, infact i have never heard of any! 3drealms is ok but they have been late, horribly late, on the new duke game. second that is all they are really known for is duke3d, and i have also heard they have money probs. Doom was better to play but duke3d was also very fun, still is. Doom was the best of the engines at its time, duke3d build engine laged far behind the times when it came out but the games where still fun. ID and doom rule above duke3d and 3D realms.

Doom...Doomguy's tougher, and the weapons are more practical, and he don't need no goddamn medkit. Duke...Duke was boring, he talked (the tough ones do not talk, that's the schoolyard rules, man), and the weapons were boring. The only saving grace was level design.

I like the build engine a lot better than the Doom engine. I mastered the Build editor, while I still can't find a Doom editor that I can make sense of or I am able to make work. While the Duke Nukem levels were half-assed for the engine (you should see what 3rd parties did with it), the Doom levels were 100%, except maybe some of the Doom 2 levels. <cough>downtown<cough>. Anywaste, every Id game is at least margianly interesting from the free-time-wasting Quake III to the Classics like Doom and Quake II. The only two 3dRealms games I've ever played were Duke Nukem 3d and Terminal Velocity. Terminal Velocity was damn awesome. I liked it better than Descent or Fury 3. Duke Nukem 3d was good, but I thought the enemies were real boring.

In the end, the origional Duke Nukem beats them all (except Doom).

First off, Duke 4 Ever isn't late, it has no release date. They'll release it when they are confident they have built the game as well as they can. Compare that to some other companies (*Cough*, Valve, *Cough*, 100+ meg patch for Half-Life, *Cough*).

Three good and three bad about each? Sure, what the hell.

Doom:
+ Set all new standards for fast paced action in the FPS genre, just about completely reinventing it
+ Very atmospherical with lighting and music
+ Easily modified with clean pass-arounds
- Had some really nasty bugs on initial release
- Doom 2
- I can't think of anything else

Duke 3D:
+ Excellent level design
+ Inventory system makes for hellish DM duels
+ The first FPS with a clearly defined character that you play as, who constantly attempts to make you laugh
- No double barrelled shotgun
- Messy pass-arounds that often interfere with each other
- The editor is the grandmother of pain

I want to play some of these 3rd party levels!

Well, I would post you a link, but it appears that Planetduke ate Dukeworld, which is where I used to get the levels. Damn Gamespy.

- The editor is the grandmother of pain

Why does everyone say this? I still haven't figured out any Doom editors, yet the Build editor seems real easy. When I first used it, it confused the hell out of me, but then I found the FAQ, which helped a hell of a lot. I would send a link, but...well, see ^above^.

Why does everyone say this? I still haven't figured out any Doom editors, yet the Build editor seems real easy. When I first used it, it confused the hell out of me, but then I found the FAQ, which helped a hell of a lot. I would send a link, but...well, see ^above^.

Gimme a C!
Gimme an R!
Gimme an A!
Gimme an S!
Gimme an H!

CRASH!
CRASH!!
CRASH!!

...and if you try to run it from Windows it'll go down in flames before you even get to the R.

Gimme a C!
Gimme an R!
Gimme an A!
Gimme an S!
Gimme an H!

CRASH!
CRASH!!
CRASH!!

...and if you try to run it from Windows it'll go down in flames before you even get to the R.

I got build to run in windows.

Gimme a C!
Gimme an R!
Gimme an A!
Gimme an S!
Gimme an H!

CRASH!
CRASH!!
CRASH!!

Only if you do something fucked up. Granted, its easy to do, but after the first few times you make the mistake, you'll figure it out. I do wonder sometimes if this is the same editor used by the authors.

here are some of the things that made Duke 3d less better than Doom:

No Source Port
Runs in DOS, tough shit for me that I have Win2k
Editor (Build) is almost as impossible to figure out to use.
Crappy monsters (and cheap as hell)

Doom wins and will stay the best fps ever....

Ok.

ID

+Great teams
+Stick to one or two projects at a time
+Engines set standards in the game biz
-To bitchy about copyrights
-Depend on the DOOM name to much
-Their finished products usually dont live up to par

3d Realms
+Game ideas are original
+Features in games are great inovations to the game community
+Use engines excellently
-Games are usually TO DAMN BLOODY
-Rely on the Duke Nukem name to much
-Didnt release source codes for Duke

DOOM
+Revolutionary engine
+Great action
+Fun to play
-No freelook
-No jumping/crouching
-Sucky net code

Duke 3d
+Great features (editing wise)
+Plenty of action
+Nice levels
-To much toilet humor
-Teeters on the edge of an adult rating
-Way to gory

Doom guy
+Tough
+Saved EARTH!!!!
+Cool
-Doesnt talk
-What did he say his name was?
-Just fucking oogly

Duke Nukem
+Bad ass
+Saved L.A. ... (yippe)
+Funny (sometimes)
-Talks
-Horny (I mean COME THE FUCK ON! He gives those strippers a $100 bill! What ever happened to say...a $1 bill?)
-In the first Duke Nukem game (or the second) he said he was gonna beat the bad guy to "Get home in time for Oprha or however the fuck you spell it"...that brings up the question...is Duke gay?

First off, Duke 4 Ever isn't late, it has no release date. They'll release it when they are confident they have built the game as well as they can.

Yeah, so that's why they've been working on it for what? 4-5 years? That's a bit long to wait until they've got a good product.. i mean, are they aimlessly shooting in the dark adding and removing features until they can make a betatester say "cool!"?

Compare that to some other companies (*Cough*, Valve, *Cough*, 100+ meg patch for Half-Life, *Cough*).

Yeah, like i want DMC and TFC forced over me... If there was a patch without those, it'd be downloadable for the average person :\ Not to mention that the SP is bugged to hell in newer versions. I tried playing thorugh it the other day, but i got killed by an alien that somehow followed me into the reactor room in the intro.. that's fucked up!

Yeah, so that's why they've been working on it for what? 4-5 years? That's a bit long to wait until they've got a good product.. i mean, are they aimlessly shooting in the dark adding and removing features until they can make a betatester say "cool!"?

No they have internal goals and timelimits on features and additions, they are not just working casually or randomly. I kept my eye on their plan files real close a while back and they're really focused on what they're doing.

Yeah, like i want DMC and TFC forced over me... If there was a patch without those, it'd be downloadable for the average person :\ Not to mention that the SP is bugged to hell in newer versions. I tried playing thorugh it the other day, but i got killed by an alien that somehow followed me into the reactor room in the intro.. that's fucked up!

Notice how the names of the games developers sometimes say 'Title5' and some of the levels are named 'Chapter3' and shit? The game of the year edition worked flawlessly for me, a fucking dream. It really made me appreciate my brand new P3 and Voodoo3. But then... they started shoving stupid mp features down my throat and TFC levels up my ass and what's a guy to do? Quit playing it, that's what.

Valve obviously doesn't want my continued support of a game they have not only run into the ground but actually damaged with their incessant stupidity.

Why do you persist in posting these threads? They're just flamebait.

* Katgut starts chanting...

Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT!

Okay, got it out of my system.

* Katgut starts chanting...

Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT! Flame-BAIT!

Okay, got it out of my system.

LOL. Here is flame for ya. Duke kicks Dooms ass! Period! Murharharhar

/me ducks avoiding flying objects .............

I think i saw something like this in the polls forum...
Anyway I've only played Duke 3D on PSX, and compared to the PSX Doom, it was MUCH worse!
Don't really know about the PC version of Duke 3D though.

Well, okay

Doom

+lot's of evil shit like bodies hanging from ceilings
+A nice veriaty of beasties to keep you occupied (Doom 2 that is)
+Good weapons
-levels were good, but they came after each other with afeeling that there was something missing between (i know what I mean :-D)
-trying to walk over monsters in the original was quite silly
-Doomguy? his that his name, who is this mysteriouse man (apart from the charector in the game, I mean, who is he? or maybe even she, it could happen you know :-D).

Duke3d

+Very nice levels with a sortof link between (I really like that)
+lot's of nice blood
+Some very impressive and nice effects (they were veryt impressive and nice too :-D)
-Duke is a pervert
-weapons were kinda strange
-completely shit badguys

there you go, that's my opinions on these two games.

-Doomguy? his that his name, who is this mysteriouse man (apart from the charector in the game, I mean, who is he? or maybe even she, it could happen you know :-D).

I think that Id left that guy anonymous, to give the impression that YOU (the player, i mean) are that guy.

Guest ZZ_TOPPER_X

-Duke is a pervert

Is Nancy 13 the ONLY one to bring this up?

Oh yeah, here's one:

- Duke 3D fans are waaaaay too dedicated.
- Doom fans are waaaay too busy at the forums.
+ Doomguy a real man, and his suit looks cool.
- Duke Nukum clothes look like crap. His muscles make it look good. Oh yeah. And he's still a pervert. (And he steals lines from the one and only BRUCE CAMPBELL.)
+ id Software is located in TEXAS! Yee-haw.
+ Doom editors are easy as heck to use, man. Just fool around with them long enough... (never used Build, though.)

Another thing: If there ever comes a source port which makes Doom's engine equal or surpass Jedi Knight's, I'll go ask da guys at Code Alliance to make a level editor for it. They kick butt at those things.

Well, back to (school)work.....