Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CacodemonLeader

Multiple Music File Support in XWE?

Well me and diluteco were talking the other days about getting the music from Wolf3D engine games and converting it to DOOM's Music format, and I was thinking: Add the ability to convert music from other games into DOOM's Music format! Is it possible to do so? If so, then please have it in the next release in XWE! I know you can do it, cause you program other game support better!

I'll try, but I can't promise I will be able to do it. It looks difficult. Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.

Hi Csabo. Good work on the newest version. Many new features. Sweet, man.

I'll try, but I can't promise I will be able to do it. It looks difficult. Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.

I don't see how it'd be any more difficult than extracting the music that's in *insert format here*, converting it to MIDI, then converting it back to MUS.

The first conversion step is the bitch, though, unless you've already got that down.

I'd like that option.... probably because I like the Descent soundtrack a little much, heh....

BTW Csabo, just tried XWE recently.... congrats on it - it's rendered WinTex redundant on my machine -- I love it.

If you manage to pull this one off, then me and Diluteco will give you many thanks to doing that. Good luck.

P.S.: Oh, and if you need to know what the format of the music is, then let me know as soon as possible so I can send you a music file so you can find out what the format is and have a converter working. If you need a Music file ripped from Corridor 7 (Which of course isn't in MUS or MIDI format) then I can send it to you.

Oh and one more thing Csabo... ...usually files extracted from group files of Wolf3D engined games like Corridor 7 are extracted with a lmp extension sometimes.

BTW Csabo, just tried XWE recently.... congrats on it - it's rendered WinTex redundant on my machine -- I love it.

I ejected Wintex as soon as I realised how easy this XWE program is to use. Thanx to Csabo for this great editing tool. Keep up the good work, this new version is great!!

I have released the new version (1.09) today. I now understand the 'format' of the Apogee IMF files, it is direct Adlib data. XWE now displays this format correctly, which means we are one step closer to a possible IMF to MID converter. However, it won't be an exact conversion. There are things that one can do with the Adlib that cannot be done with standard MIDI. Choosing instruments will also be a challenge. But hopefully it is possible to write a converter that produces a new MID file that sounds similar to the original IMF songs.

Again, thanks to everyone for the ideas, suggestions and comments on XWE. :-)

I can't get the new version, 3D Downloads is playing up, I'll try later.

Something I noticed with the previous version with Dark Forces support. XWE seems to be displaying far too many graphics for each sprite. I know these are a multiple image format, but XWE seems to be displaying each image within the various image sets many times. There can be literally hundreds of graphics listed for even fairly simple sprites. Makes extracting them a real pain.

A suggestion for another game to support - Alien Trilogy. OK, it was far from a perfect game, but people are always wanting to do alien type conversions. I don't know if anyone has managed to get graphics out of the game, but I'm sure it must be a source for at least some reasonable alien type graphics. Of course, I don't know if you have the game, but at least the demo version is still freely available to download. I've tried a few ripping tools but got nothing out. Possible?

Hi Nigel:

Hope you're doing well. I've almost completed Map03, and should be done with it by this weekend. We'll talk.

ReX

Enjay: I know about this one. I couldn't figure out all those pointers in the WAX files, so I just did a 3 level nested loop. This will obviously end up with duplicate images, but I figured it's still better than missing some. Also some of the sprites display 'garbage' on the right side: XWE doesn't know where to stop. I'll try to fix both of these.

Alien Trilogy: I'm downloading the demo right know, and I'll see what I can do.

Hope you're doing well. I've almost completed Map03, and should be done with it by this weekend. We'll talk.

Cool :-)

This will obviously end up with duplicate images, but I figured it's still better than missing some. Also some of the sprites display 'garbage' on the right side: XWE doesn't know where to stop. I'll try to fix both of these.

Alien Trilogy: I'm downloading the demo right know, and I'll see what I can do.

Cool :-)