Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lich

Short skies and stuff

Hello, folks.

I'm currently doing some mapping, and I'm curious about one thing.

In ZDoom, there's a setting for "stretch short skies". Since stretching skies really makes an environment look like shit, and in a big hurry, I was wondering what the normal size for ZDoom skies are, in pixels.

Also, I'm having a hard time getting a two-sided linedef's texture to stretch vertically farther than 128 pixels. If anyone here knows what I mean, then e-mail, otherwise, I'll clarify.

1. Tall skys in ZDoom have to be at least 200 pixels high.

2. A middle texture will only be displayed once on a 2-sided line. No way to change it.

In ZDoom, there's a setting for "stretch short skies". Since stretching skies really makes an environment look like shit, and in a big hurry, I was wondering what the normal size for ZDoom skies are, in pixels.

ZDooM is set up for skies that are 256*200 (i.e., 256 pixels wide, 200 high). However, a somewhat taller sky would be better for when you have a high height differential between outdoor sectors. Having said that, there are several excellent "tall" sky textures (i.e., 256*240) that are downloadable. Stian Skjondal created over 20 such skies, many of which are stunning.

Also, I'm having a hard time getting a two-sided linedef's texture to stretch vertically farther than 128 pixels. If anyone here knows what I mean, then e-mail, otherwise, I'll clarify.

The DooM engine and ports are not set up to have 2-sided sidedefs tile vertically. One way to create the illusion of tiling, is to have a similar linedef parallel and very close to the first lindef, but vertically offset by 128 (remember to lower unpeg it too). This way it will appear that there is a single, tiled sidedef. Depending on what you're using the linedefs for, you can have a third linedef consisting of one of the STEP textures, again in parallel to the others and very close, offset by 120. The STEP texture will create the appearance of a bar across the "tiled" sidedefs and will conceal the slight gap between the first 2 linedefs.

Also, I'm having a hard time getting a two-sided linedef's texture to stretch vertically farther than 128 pixels.

Rex is right about the tiling (and has an easy fix too). You can go 240 high (once) if you make a texture that tall.

This varies a bit by port. Latest ZDOOM 1.23 (and I think 1 before that) goes to 240. It used to be 128.

Unpeg lower and it will draw from the bottom up to 240 high. Still won't tile for 2-sided though:)

You can go 240 high (once) if you make a texture that tall.

I'd forgotten about that option. Much easier than my solution if you only need to go 240 tall.

ReX - Where might I find these downloadable skies at?

ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/idgames/graphics/skypack1.zip

ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/idgames/graphics/skypack2.zip

You can try mirror sites as well.

Stian has not uploaded skypack3, and it was available only from his home page (http://members.xoom.com/zerosignum), which has not been accessible for a long time. You can email him at zsignal@organizer.net for a copy.

Good to see you around the community again. For those of you with no clue, Jeremy Wagner was around when most of you were in diapers, and did a lot of cool heretic mods. He was even on Team Eternity for a week or two once :->

He was even on Team Eternity for a week or two once

/ReX bows before the magnificence of the Mighty Iron Lich.

Seriously, though, I had no idea, and I hope you've returned to the DooM community with renewed enthusiasm and vigor. Welcome back.

Quasar -

Nice to see you around, too. Yeah, I kinda got into ZDoom a bit, and I wanted to do something, so I started this goofy deathmatch pack idea. I hope it flies, though, because the mapping isn't coming as naturally as I would've liked. I'm eighteen now and in college, and when I started doing all that stupid crap with Heretic, I wasn't even in high school.

Oh, the good 'ol days... :P