Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ultdoomer

The Sky May Be

I recently figured out about the "The Sky May Be" WAD. I went to tne /idgames archive to download it, and I found an executable, but not a WAD. I got an error when trying to execute it, so I was wondering if someone had a .WAD version of it. If you do, please send it to me.

Thanks,
Phil

I´ve downloaded it, and I´m testing it.

In the old times, he used windows95 that sometimes
crashed, but now with our XP systems and DOomsday
and Zdoom, for example, it could rockz :D

The author says:

'This is the STRANGEST wad ever made.
Most of the action takes place in a cube
8192x8192x8192 in size..
A two-year production with more new graphics
than any other PWAD in the known galaxy.
Built using monomolecular technology in DEU!'

SMB is, quite simply, a breathtaking genius work of art that happens to use a DeHackEd patch which, as Cyb said, "the only purpose of which is to drive you insane". It's fun to give it a whirl once or twice and never ever touch it again.

I'll have to agree with that. The sky may be is by far the best jokewad I've ever played. Sure it's ridculous and pointless and stupid, but you can really see the amount of work that went into it to make it that way. It's an abstract work of dooming art in my eyes.

Someone should make a sequel/remake called "the sky be damned." Not me, of course, because I'd fuck it up.

The documentation only take care of doom_smb.exe, I don´t like the old crappy resolution :/

ANyone get it worked in DOomsday? I´ve tried to play around its command-like options to include .DEH file. :/

Alright, here is how I set it up to run with ports. Make sure you have a copy of doom.exe v1.9 that can be hacked or else it won't work(more on it later).

1. Run the first instillation file to extract all the main files to 1 directory.

2. Copy the blessed.deh patch that gets extracted to the port directory of your choice.

3. Run the second install file that makes the hacked doom.exe and adds the sprites to the final skymaybe.wad(note: this is why you have to have the doom.exe, if you don't have a valid one that can be hacked then the instillation won't work and you won't get skymaybe.wad. You can delete doom_smb.exe if you want, its not neccessary)

4. Copy the final skymaybe.wad to the location of your coice(best put it with blessed.deh).

5. Run your port, telling it to load smb.wad and blessed.deh

6. Play "The Sky May Be"! Hope your brain doesn't melt!

Hope that helps people. ;)

Doomsday simple crashes when using the SKYMAYBE.WAD with -deh [directory\blessed.deh] arguments in other options tab.

It detects blessed.deh at the startup and apply dehacked patch but the game goes back to windows :(
When in a windowed mode, a message appears :
-----------
E2M1 - Deimos Anomaly
Z_Checkmap: next block doesn´t have proper back link.
-----------

However, without blessed.deh, it works flawlessly... so Doomsday is not suited? I use 1.8.2 (even allowing 80mb of RAM for Doomsday, the crash remains). I didn´t check any of the addons, definitions, and model options.

Zdoom instead?

I notice that dehacked.exe (v3.0a) reports some errors on loading blessed.deh. This might be the reason that some ports have problems with it.

Jello said:

I'll have to agree with that. The sky may be is by far the best jokewad I've ever played. Sure it's ridculous and pointless and stupid, but you can really see the amount of work that went into it to make it that way. It's an abstract work of dooming art in my eyes.

I was also working on a sort of tribute follow up called blarg,it's really unstable and may not work with all source ports.But equally as wacky.Mancubuses that fly and shoot out lamps that explode after a certain amount of time for example.

If you guys are interested just tell me.

Doomsdays says that:

"7.2 Dehacked Patches:
Most features of Dehacked are supported by Doomsday's Dehacked reader. The loader will print a message during startup if an unsupported feature is used.
(...)
If a lump named DEHACKED is found in a WAD, it will be automatically applied when the WAD is loaded. Normally only the last DEHACKED lump is used if a lump with that name is found in multiple WADs. Use the option -alldehs to make the engine apply all found DEHACKED lumps. "

So we also could load the WAD without the -deh command file. But SKYMAYBE don´t have DEHACKED lumps (AFAIK). Anyone knows where to download another dehacked (old version)? Or Anyone able to use XWE to add this DEHACKED lump? Doomsday with SMB is really eyecandy :D

Caco-Puff said:

I was also working on a sort of tribute follow up called blarg,it's really unstable and may not work with all source ports.But equally as wacky.Mancubuses that fly and shoot out lamps that explode after a certain amount of time for example.

If you guys are interested just tell me.

Sure I'm interested. I enjoy weird wads like that. Lost Soul Sphere was also terribly entertaining to me. OH NOEZ, ITS A FAEK!

Okay,Give me a minute.

Okay,You will experiance different results from different versions of different source ports.But this did run fine on Legacy.Dont expect anything reliable here but enjoy the retardedness.

http://www.q-designs.net/other/Blarg.zip

Just tested it with Zdoom,Worked PERFECTLY.

Just avoid using the Plasma Rifle.Unless you plan on completely emptying it.Which you will.

Weapon Info-

Chainsaw-Multi Shooter Thingy
Pistol-Birst Pistol
Fist-Autofist
Shotgun-Auto Shotgun
SSG-Auto SSG
Chaingun-SSG thing
Rocket Launcher-Medic Gun
Plasma Rifle-Really fast goddamn SSG
BFG-Advanced Plasma Pistol SSH2000XLGFireball 1st Edition Prototype.

Hmm I think the link was messed.

Well, I just downloaded that mod of yours cacopuff. That's something else. I'd play around with it some more if I didn't need to go to sleep right now. But yeah, it's pretty insane and funny. I really like the bfg replacement, it's so destructive. The chainsaws cool too...and the rocket launcher. I was a little taken off guard when that flying chainsaw found its way back to me though. This thing's a hoot, I'll have to play it some more tomorrow.

Yes, good job caco-puff. It was pretty screwed up and well done :)

HERE is something really screwed up. Its a BEX patch for zdoom I made sometime near the end of summer I think. Since you all will probaly ask for it, here is a description of all the "major" monster/weapon changes. Play at your own risk. :P

-Weapons
--Fist - now the BulletFiST(TM), fires a ton of bullets and uses no ammo. Good against the new imps.
--Chainsaw - now the FUCKING WASTE OF SPACE. It's slow, annoying, and just a plain waste of space.
--Pistol - now fires 2 shots instead of one.
--Shotgun - now fires 2 pistol blasts then a shotgun blast.
--SSG - Fires a bit faster.
--Chaingun - now the power drill. Its a melee weapon that uses first codepointers and spins insanely fast. Use this plenty when you get it.
--RL - now the "supar hitscan gun". Fires a ton of SSG blasts.
--Plasma Gun - fires slower, but the fireballs power is hiked up a TON.
--BFG - A sort of tribute to the "HHHHHHH" from LOST SOULSPHERE. Uses up all you ammo on shotgun blasts(unlike the LS one.)

The only 3 major monster replacements you need to watch out for(or I can fully remember) are -

--imp - now over twice as big, with a ton of health, AND he fires with a mancubus firing codepointer. A pain in map01 because they get in the way(get the bulletFiST out)
--Arachnatron - now the size of an ant(thanks to zdoom hi-res sprites), with almost no health, but everything else the same. Damn near impossible to hit, lookout.
--Revenant - Anyone from the zdoom forums remember coold00d.tk? The short lived spammer who "appeared" after Quake2ownzyou's trolling? Well, thats the name I gave to this stupid replacement. He flies, is slow, has a mass of about 1, his fireballs turn to nothing the second he fires them, all his frames are a duration of one, and turn on god mode and let him hit you. I thought I would never stop laughing. :D

Enjoy and stuff!

freewebs.com/masterofdeath27/hehehe.zip

(C)MoD Productions 2004 :P

Thanks for the comments,I'll try that bex patch a bit later.

In my quest for making a turret I got a sidetracked and made a summonable friendly super Pain Elemental that fires arachnotron fireballs.

Not on the web yet though so you'll have to wait.

I still need to play around with your thing a bit more caco-puff...I'll do that after this. MOD, that patch you made is pretty interesting. I love the new chaingun. I didn't read your description, just loaded it up, and idkfa'd. The second I got to the chaingun and fired it up, I thought "Oh no he didn't!". So I promptley waltzed over to the nearest imp, let loose and I thought "HE DID!". Also, did you mean for the smoke sprites to behave the way they did? Wafting slowly up towards the ceiling and all, that was pretty interesting. The revenant is funny, shooting him with a shotgun when he's two feet away from you and watching him fly. I think it was a little heavy on the modified shotgun stuff though, but the plasma gun was cool. The fist replacement was amusing as well.

Played some more of blarg. That's insane, it's so terribly random. From what I've seen, the S.S. troopers are the worst though. Turning into archviles and spider masterminds firing imp fireballs. Insane. And the mancubuses firing exploding lights, chaingunners firing berserk packs. Shotgunners replaced with hanging bodies. Great work here.

Is it wrong for me to like messed up doom hacks the way I do?

I read a review of it on Cranky Steve - that was enough to scare me away from it.

Jello said:

MOD, that patch you made is pretty interesting. I love the new chaingun. I didn't read your description, just loaded it up, and idkfa'd. The second I got to the chaingun and fired it up, I thought "Oh no he didn't!". So I promptley waltzed over to the nearest imp, let loose and I thought "HE DID!". Also, did you mean for the smoke sprites to behave the way they did? Wafting slowly up towards the ceiling and all, that was pretty interesting. The revenant is funny, shooting him with a shotgun when he's two feet away from you and watching him fly. I think it was a little heavy on the modified shotgun stuff though, but the plasma gun was cool. The fist replacement was amusing as well.

Thanks! Heh, yeah I did mean for the bullet puffs to do that. Nice effect, isn't it? I even toyed around wit it a bit more and got more realitic smoke wafting. I always hated how the smoke from bullet puffs would almost instantly dissapear like that. :P And be glad you dind't encount a baron of hell in close range, its bullet puff attack will gib you even when your in god mode!(Heh, I still can't remember all the changes I did :P)

Question, am I the only one here who has ever played Xaser's W0257 #U8(worst hub) for zdoom? I recommend that jokwad, it rules. The pistol replacement is freaking hilarious. :P

Jello said:

Is it wrong for me to like messed up doom hacks the way I do?

Not at all.And the SS trooper is that way because I used him for extra frames and such,I always figured he'd just crash the game.

MasterOFDeath said:

Question, am I the only one here who has ever played Xaser's W0257 #U8(worst hub) for zdoom? I recommend that jokwad, it rules. The pistol replacement is freaking hilarious. :P

Amen to that. "Up yours, zombieman" (DSSLOP plays :P)