Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

PNG Support

At the current time XWE seems to convert PNG's you load into another format (Doom format possibly). That's fine, but ZDoom can actually use unconverted PNGs as graphics, and they usually take up less space that standard Doom format, plus they don't need to be in the Doom palette (important when/if 16bit color comes along, plus you can use the same texture wad for different games/palettes) so they can work with other games. If you could just add a switch or a flag so that you can specify that PNGs don't get converted, or at least a raw lumpinsertion tool that just sticks a file into a wad without looking at it or converting it, that would be great.

On a related note, this is more of a feature request, but PNG files have offset values in the header (I think), which I believe ZDoom uses for PNG sprites. If XWE could modify those offsets that would be cool and keep me from writing my own util for that very purpose ;)

First I thought it was you who asked for this once, but it was someone else. They pretty much wanted the same thing though - but I originally misunderstood the purpose of PNG support.

So XWE's PNG support consists of being able to load PNG images like anything else (JPG, BMP, etc); and yes, they all get converted to Doom's image format (or floor, if that's what you've selected).

This seems to be pretty stupid now... XWE was fine before I added the PNG "support" because it just imported the files as is. That still doesn't solve the second part of your request (e.g. changing values in the PNG header).

Bottom line, this will require some big changes, and probably new menu items as well (e.g. Import Raw/Replace Raw or something along those lines). It's on my to-do list ;-)

Cyb said:

On a related note, this is more of a feature request, but PNG files have offset values in the header (I think), which I believe ZDoom uses for PNG sprites. If XWE could modify those offsets that would be cool and keep me from writing my own util for that very purpose ;)

Heh, I wondered why I suddenly had this idea in my head. I found out a litte more; I dont know wheter basic png files contain any offset information or whether Randy has added an extra chunk to contain the sprite offsets. But in any case, a utility to set them can be found here:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=1139&start=15)

If you don't fancy setting each file one by one, you can use a for loop at the command prompt to make it less of a pain, just go into your png folder and type "dir /b >list", open list and type the x y offsets after each file, and then put this line into a batch file:

for /f "tokens=1,2,3" %%i in (list) do setpng -grab %%j %%k %%i %%i

Sort of a follow-on to this...

Would it be possible to allow the option of having images to be converted to PNGs instead of the Doom format as they are imported?

I know it'd be pretty much ZDoom specific, but it would allow for non-pallete-dependant mods (I think).

I guess I could just save them as PNGs before importing, though, huh.

AFADoomer said:

Sort of a follow-on to this...

Would it be possible to allow the option of having images to be converted to PNGs instead of the Doom format as they are imported?

I guess there could be 2 buttons/menu items for ALL entries that wish to be inserted into a wad, example "Insert (convert blah to doom format" and "Insert (no conversion)", that would be a cool feature for xwe imo, unless it already has it :P

AFADoomer said:

I know it'd be pretty much ZDoom specific, but it would allow for non-pallete-dependant mods (I think).

Afaik, edge will be support PNG images aswell, I'm not sure if Andrew and co will be adding data to the header to make the image compatible with zdoom, but we'll see.

AFADoomer said:

I guess I could just save them as PNGs before importing, though, huh.

Indeed.