Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
The Ultimate DooMer

Transparency

There seems to be an issue with the transparent colour when using a different palette - when I load up a texture with the Hexen palette (transparent colour 255) it still uses 247 as the transparent colour, thus screwing up that colour. (Hexen is the main wad, too)

I just tried some stuff with the Hexed.wad as the main wad, and some things are pretty bad. I will have to seriously work on this, I haven't really tested this scenario at all.

However, using the hexen palette I was able to import a patch from Doom2 that had transparency, and didn't see any problems. What steps have you taken exactly?

I loaded up an image that I'd converted to the Hexen palette with PSP. This image has some bits with colour 247 (which isn't the transparent colour in the Hexen palette) in it, and those bits came up as transparent when I loaded it up.

Ah, I see. This one I didn't try, I'll look into it.

By the way, XWE now always uses the palette from the main WAD by default (vs. always picking the Doom palette), so it's much easier to work with Hexen or Heretic. Should eliminate the need to export the Hexen palettes separately. Also when you test (run) a map, it passes the -iwad param to zdoom, so it's now possible to test Hexen maps.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

I loaded up an image that I'd converted to the Hexen palette with PSP. This image has some bits with colour 247 (which isn't the transparent colour in the Hexen palette) in it, and those bits came up as transparent when I loaded it up.

I did the same with a sky texture, except I used Deepsea to convert it from doom. Then I was wondering why the sky had black spots in it when in the game.

I was wondering why the 'auto' choice for palletes was still the doom pallete. Good to see it will be improved in the next version (which I am looking forward to).

This was a real bug. The problem was that XWE first internally converted the bitmap so that it's mapped to the current palette, and it used 247 as a hardcoded value to represent transparency. I rewrote this part, and The Ultimate Doomer is testing it now, hopefully it will work.

I also found further bugs with tall patch importing, fixed them all, so now it should be 100% perfect. While I was at it, I sped up the image import process, on my machine importing three 640x480 transparent bitmaps went down from 15 seconds to 9 seconds.

I'll try to put in a few more things (make your requests now) and then release it.

It works fine so far, in auto-selecting the Hexen palette, converting images to the Hexen palette when loading them into the wad and handling the transparent colour correctly.