Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xenaero

The /newstuff Chronicles #222

Another fruitful week as we got a grand total of 13 maps and wads this week, some bad, but most good in one respect or another. What puzzles me, however, is the number of 1994 wads that keep flooding in! Where will this madness stop and how many more scores do they have left in their outdated army?! Until the answer comes to light keep yourself busy by playing the following.

• 2DIEFOR - Keith Winter
    doom2.exe - SP - 24k - (img)
    We open up this week with a 1995 wad, from Mr. Winter. It's the same old story with these, odd design, water that kills you, start with pistol against chaingunners, arachnotrons, hell knights and renevants at the very start of the level. What is interesting though, is a small light textured bridge that caught my eye. Worth a look at, especially if you are looking for a challenge.

• Ben's DOOM Sounds - Ben Sze
    doom.exe - sound replacement - 376k
    This is quite an interesting feat, a full sound replacement of all of the doom monsters made with someone's voice. These are all, however, low quality bitrates which honestly either played a trick on my soundcard, or really do sound like someone gurgling water. Oh well, try it out yourself.

• Cartellis kicking doom levels release1 - Cartelli
    doom2.exe - DM - 56k - (img)
    The first DM wad of the week and it's not what you would normally expect. First of, don't try to preview this in Single player, as no items will show up and even some of the levels won't even work because they don't have player 1 starts. These maps work surprisingly well in a DM in the test I played with a couple of my beloved player test subjects, despite a couple maps having a bit too much health packs. But otherwise, worth a shot.

• DEMONS BattleField - Cacocacodemon
    doom2.exe - DM - 510k
    An update for the Demons Battlefield wad reviewed back in #216.

• DethCity - fezzador
    doom2.exe - SP - 146k - (img)
    Well, as from the screenshot that was taken, you can tell it's dark. But a good wad nevertheless, despite the gloom hanging around this marble level. Health and ammo are in good shape for an average play and the monster placement is pretty good on top of that. The only part notable is the beginning where you don't really know which teleporter to take, and can end up making this level a bit longer than most. But with that aside, a worthy download.

• Dos - Chronoteeth
    Edge - weapons replacement - 319k
    Yet another weapons set for Edge! It looks to me like this engine is growing for little weapons mods...interesting. This is quite a feat, many styles of weapons and quite a few of them bound on one key too. We got pistols, fast weapons (like the chaingun) and even the mighty BFG is back, with a few small changes. Very nice weapons set, worth a shot.

• Escape from Planet Deum - Tony Priest
    doom.exe - SP - 36k - (img)
    The next decade old wad on our list is quite a gem. A map that has the shape of the DooM logo, this one fares well. Weapon supply is good, health supply is in a surplus if you use it carefully, and the monster placement is plentiful, setting in store a slaughterhouse. Surprisingly, there are many monsters hidden outside windows and in small traps awaiting the next victim. You fight on with a warehouse in the letter D, Then a Tech base in the first O, but after that it slowly degrades to Hell, ending in M with a fight against a Spiderdemon and then a Cyberdemon, quite a 1-2 punch, but you are supplied with a god amount of Cells and BFG ammo, so no worries. A good map, try it out.

• Fleur De Mort - Roger Rice
    doom.exe - SP - 56k - (img)(img)
    Screenshots say most of it. Mismatching textures with different themes popping up all over the place. In your current room, it's all wood. Next room, it's all marble. I mean come on, did someone try to port a badly made Sims house over to Doom? Anyway, it was a living nightmare to try to find a yellow key to progress in the level, as the door, which is textured the EXACT same as the rest of the room, leading to another door which is again, textured the same as the room, which finally led to the yellow key, in a corner. Gah. That over with, you proceed to a big outside area and the whole key hunting for the red key begins. To be frustrated, play this without automap. Please.

• Knee Deep ][ - Bloodbath - Aug & Ben Sze
    doom.exe - SP - 56k - (img)(img)(img)
    Text says: New, meaner Knee Deep levels and this time, the buildings make more sense (i.e.. the Hangar is a real hangar, the Nuclear Plant is a real Nuclear Plant equipped with a core and everything).

But is this the case?! Well meaner yes, probably. You don't get much health or none at all in these levels, and there is new detail to the levels that makes it look like the names of the levels that were supposed to describe how they looked. That didn't make any sense right? Ok, moving on. Gameplay moderate, details kind of so-so, health balance low, ammo balance high. (With the mobs of shotgunners you encounter, what'd you expect? ~_^ ) Not a very bad play, but not an exceptionally good one either.

• Real - Michael "Optimus" Kargas
    doom.exe - SP - 239k - (img)(img)
    This is quite an interesting map. From your starting area you are required to snipe Imps through a small hole which looks just big enough to fit you. However, this is not the case, you get stuck trying to go halfway through. I had to idclip my way out of that small area and into the main cavern passageway, which is again pretty small but I was barely able to navigate it. The detail level is good to moderate because the areas vary quite a bit. You go from say a cavern, to a marble structure, right back to a hell setting again. You can even fight a Baron with a mere shotgun and 4 shells at one point. Although it is a good first try at a 'serious' map, it needs more work.

• The Spire - Michael "prower" Reid
    Zdoom - SP - 726k - (img)
    More SP goodness, here we have a HR style map, set in a hellish brick-like base, moderate detail, and chock full of monsters, health and ammo for a massive slaughterfest. This map is pretty straightforward. Just fight your way through the monsters to the exit. Nothing more, nothing less. A good wad for the people who like to slug their way through mobs upon mobs of monsters.

• What lies beneath titan-426 - Dutch Devill
    Zdoom - SP - 2,610k - (img)(img)
    A nice Gothic-Hellish style map with plenty of new in it. New textures, sprites, sounds and music. The level is drawn out well, with ample detail and ammo/health supplies for an easy run, but this is not a very challenging level, so if you're looking for a hard level, don't pick this up. This is a good play in any case.

• Ultimate CTF 1.2 - IZM, Danny, T.U.D, Meph, Cop and Exl
    doom2.exe - DM - 510k
    An update for the Ultimate CTF (v 1.1) wad reviewed back in #219.

What lies beneath titan-426, the second screenshot does not point on titan02 but on titan01.

DD_133 said:

This is quite an interesting map. From your starting area you are required to snipe Imps through a small hole which looks just big enough to fit you. However, this is not the case, you get stuck trying to go halfway through.

If you shot the barrels you'd open passageways. Didn't you try that?

BlackFish said:

If you shot the barrels you'd open passageways. Didn't you try that?

I did but nothing happened...

Dutch Devill: My mistake, the 2nd screenshot points to the 1st URL, just change the last 1 in the URL to a 2 and there's your 2nd screenshot. Sorry for the mixup.

DD_133 said:

Dutch Devill: My mistake, the 2nd screenshot points to the 1st URL, just change the last 1 in the URL to a 2 and there's your 2nd screenshot. Sorry for the mixup.

Its ok.

How come there's never any screenshots for weapon mods, skins, and other graphical replacements? It would be nice to at least get a taste of the quality of art involved.

nothing i'm really interested in, but maybe i'll try dutch devil's wad in any case. i like the sky.

What the hell!? WHAT THE HELL!? I uploaded two weapon mods this week, and they were both in newstuff before the friday deadline! The other one was byron. Now I am both pissed, and sad.

dethtoll said:

nothing i'm really interested in, but maybe i'll try dutch devil's wad in any case. i like the sky.

Try it do it do it,or im gonna hate you;)

Spire is the manliest map since HR2 MAP32. Brilliant stuff! My exit time was over 1 hour 20 minutes.

dutch devill said:

Try it do it do it,or im gonna hate you;)

well that was fun. i like the colourswapped monsters.

Doom Armory Highlights This Week

CT-DOS: Since Chronoteeth has finally started to learn EDGE DDF, he is no longer entitled to begging for others to make mods for him. The weapons and graphics are mostly taken from Immoral Conduct, Don's Challenge, and my own Batteries Not Included (particularly the Crazy Sue BFG replacement). The weapons handle decently, but the weapons numbering is seriously unintuitive (1 for pistols, 2 for the Shotgun and Rocket Launcher, 5 for your boot).

CT-Byron (didn't make Newstuff Chronicles): Chronoteeth's second mod, this time starting you with a rifle and a pistol as well as CT-DOS's boot. There is really no point in using the pistol, since the rifle is more powerful and 100% accurate. Other weapons making an appearance are a very weak plasma cannon, an over-powered rapid BFG, an auto-shotgun of some kind, and a Mac-11 that seems to be the only sensible weapon in this pack. Weapon kicking is way too high, making even the most hardened shooter player dizzy after firing the rapid-BFG.

>>If you shot the barrels you'd open passageways. Didn't you try that?
>I did but nothing happened...

Mmm,. perhaps I shouldn't have done this. Someone has to shoot the wall behind the barrel. I wanted to give the illusion that the barrel explodes and breaks the wall, and that was something I did 6 years ago(?). The caves design belongs to the same age..

Many rooms sucks, some maps and secrets are nicer. I enjoyed doing the easter egg room, with a specific texture and some map design idea to produce raster fx (vertical sine moving bars) known from the demoscene, among with some plain text scrollers. You can understand the trick with Doombuilder or any other editor. You can find it if you push the white rocks at the right side as you come out in a harbor with a big sea.

Optimus

p.s. And yes indeed, it pops out the sound wad because of the same file size (I should have thought of a more rare title, but "real" came at 1998 when I first designed this wad as I thought I would do a detail map like real world or something ;P)
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=13277

Chronoteeth said:

What the hell!? WHAT THE HELL!? I uploaded two weapon mods this week, and they were both in newstuff before the friday deadline! The other one was byron. Now I am both pissed, and sad.

The other one you speak of, ct-byron.zip, kept crashing Edge. I probably should have mentioned this in the article. Sorry.

It worked for me in 1.28. That's what I used to test it - 1.29 beta has problems on occasion with older mods (especially Operation Mjolnir, where most of the weapons will set dudes on fire).