Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
EllipsusD

Puzzling query...

I'm bored. So...
This topic hasn't been discussed in at least a month, so I'm going to bring it up again:
What would you like the puzzle focus for Doom 3 to be?
Basically, there aren't many puzzle types that you can include in a FPS. The 'types' come to mind: logic, jumping, and 'take X to X'.
Logic puzzles
Well, you very rarely see these in FPS's. This catagory usually takes you of of direct action for a few moments while you test your mind as opposed to your trigger finger. I think the only implementation I've seen would be certain keypad puzzles in Deus Ex and SS2, though they are more strategy/RPG based than most straight FPS's tend to be (and what I imagine Doom 3 will be). As far as straight FPS's go... I think a button puzzle in a Half-Life mod is the most I have seen.
Jumping Puzzles
These began, in their most basic form, back in Quake. They were little more than jumping over lava onto a platform that you don't want to fall from. More than half of the FPS's out today that incorporate jumping have jumping puzzles ranging from as simple as land on the area not in toxic fluid, to as aggrivating as, well, episode 2 of They Hunger. I gather that not many people like them, but there are those like myself who don't mind or even enjoy these detours. THey mainly test your ability to control your movement.
Take X to X
You could also call it: Take X to Y, or: Find Key, Unlock Door. This is pretty much the granddaddy of all the FPS puzzles, and it comes in a variety of flavors.
The basic principle is this: you have 2 points, A (start) and B(finish). In order to prevent you from just jumping from point A to point B, killing enemies along the way, a distraction is incorporated. Lets add C. From A go and get item C and take it to point B so you can finish the level. Or you could take it to point D, a door perhaps, that blocks B.
Let's jump ahead to Half-Life and the tentacle monster. From point A (control room), go to either point C,D, or E (switches). Once C, D, and E are achieved, return to A, hit switch F which kills the beast allowing you to get to point B, the next level.
The trick is in the variation. It amuses me that people (myself included) hate the simplicity of find the key and take it to the matching door, but if you change the variables (such as the metal barrel to complete the electrical circuit from Blue Shift), the puzzle is fun and new again.

I am interrested to hear what kinds of puzzles you guys would like to see (including the ones I haven't mentioned), as well as how you would like to see them.

Oh... and this is my 200th post. };>)

Well, I'm looking for these :

# Rush-time logic : 5 seconds, everything's collapsing around you, where? what? when?

# Physics-compatible puzzles : If I put this here, will the machinery get stuck and break so I can pass beyond that crap?

# Enemy team action : Complimentary demons that charge at the same time, forcing you to either loose a lot of life or run away screaming.

# Morality crisis : If there are occasional teammates, the choice between helping one wounded guy or letting him die and escape.

# Higher-entities vengeance : If Hell's loose around you, I'm sure it will do anything it cans to make your journey painful. Doors get shut, lights go off, machinery fails...

# Ammo conservation : self-explanatory.

# Log, diaries, signs, etc interpretation : The world's not designed for you to travel from A to B. Use the aids around you to make your way to the objectives in the way you want.

...and, I may add

# the crap puzzle : the puzzle that have no solution, when you encounter this type of puzzle, you lose a life.

And of course, the greatest puzzle of all :

# The "I have 2% life and there's an Imp behind me just about to kill me...AND I QUICKSAVED"

the horror, the horror....for too many times I've done that f^%#ing thing....

THE HORROR !

Here's a puzzle for ya:
You're in a mediumly-confined space, with two branches. Out of one of these branches is coming a small herd of BullDog Demons. Out of the other is coming a couple of Hell Knights/Knights of Hell. You have 40% health and it's only by QuickSaving and miracles you've made it this far. You have an SSG with 12 ammo, a Plasma Rifle with 20 shots left and your bare fists. The Demons are closing in fast. What do you do?
Oh, it's been too many times I have found myself in this predicament while playing DooM1/2.
It would be nice to see the split-second decision puzzle: Lights go off, the ground begins to tremble and a CyberDemon walks in the room. You have to make the decision: stay and fight in a pitch-dark room where all the doors are slowly shutting by themselves, or just make a mad dash out the nearest door, regardless of what might be waiting for you on the other side?

I definitely think that any puzzle action should be rudimentary at best. Rush puzzles are great in a DOOM style setting (fast and furious fragalicious action), but when you start adding jumping puzzles and the like, things start to slow down. Object moving puzzles work, but only if there's enough action in THEM to keep them interesting.

Bottom line: emphasize the action, even in the non-action oriented elements.

DC