Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
m0l0t0v

Two n00bish questions about textures

1:
How do I add new testures in XWE. I've tried ENTRY -> NEW and then replaced the new entry with my texture, but it doesn't show up in my map editor :-(

2:
How do I import high resolution textures in XWE. I tried replacing a standard 128x128 texture with a 256x256 pixel texture. There seems to be a height limit of 240 and it in ZDoom only the upper left part (128x128) will be displayed. Do I have to scale my texture or something?

Thanks in advance!

m0l0t0v said:

1:
How do I add new testures in XWE. I've tried ENTRY -> NEW and then replaced the new entry with my texture, but it doesn't show up in my map editor :-(

With the filter set to 'patches' find 'load' in the entry menu and select your texture. Having the filter set to patches does a few things; adds the patch to the patch name and texture lumps, and also puts it with any other patch lumps.

If you do it the way you did it, you will have to right click the texture entry and do both the 'add to patch names' and 'add to textures'.

This is from memory, so I may be wrong on exact names and may be mistaken on the methods.

If you do it the way you did it, you will have to right click the texture entry and do both the 'add to patch names' and 'add to textures'.

Thanks; that worked!

But I'm still stuck with my second question though...

Have you tried the Load (Raw Data) command in the Entry menu? (It only appears in the Beta version)

Ok, so now I can import a 256x512 picture. But is still had a height limit of 240 pixels and I cannot scale it.

In ZDoom it is displayed as a 256x512 texture (The missing row of 16 pixels filled up).

I would like to know if I can disable the height limit and if I can scale the texture so it will display my 256x512 in the same size area it would display a 128x256.
In other words: How can I make a texture twice as detailed...

I just tried this in XWE. All you need to do is click Entry | Load, and point it to any picture. I loaded a 768x1024 image and it worked fine.

What do you mean there's a "height limit of 240 pixels"? Where?

Also, what version of XWE are you using? You can grab the very latest XWE beta from here: http://webhome.idirect.com/~csabo/xwe/xwe_beta.zip.

I seem to remember an older version of Zdoom having a texture height limit of around 240 (or maybe I was doing something wrong at the time), but the more recent versions of zdoom allow for taller textures.

Okay, I downloaded the new XWE. This version does allow 240+ textures.

Buttah... I still don't know how to scale down the texture. Is it possible to produce high resolution textures with XWE (this way)?

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Once you've added the image as a texture (right-click, Add to Texture), find this in the TEXTURES lump. You'll see two columns: xScale and yScale. Here's what the numbers that go in there mean: http://zdoom.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119&view=next#930 (e.g. typing 16 to both xScale and yScale will display your texture at half the size.)

Is this what you meant?

Once you've added the image as a texture (right-click, Add to Texture), find this in the TEXTURES lump. You'll see two columns: xScale and yScale. Here's what the numbers that go in there mean: http://zdoom.org/forum/viewtopic.ph...9&view=next#930 (e.g. typing 16 to both xScale and yScale will display your texture at half the size.)
Is this what you meant?

Yes, I think that is what I meant.
However... It doesn't seem to work for me :-(

I cannot find those 2 columns you spoke about. In fact I cannot find the "Textures Lump". Is this the same as the "TEXTURE1" entry? If so, I cannot open it in XWE-beta and in XWE it doesn't contain columns for scaling, only for 'xPos' and 'yPos'...

Am I missing something... Where are the x/yScale options?

Yes, I meant the TEXTURE1 lump. Once you click on it, you are in XWE's Texture Editor. The texture editor has two grids on the top. The one on the left is the list of textures, with 7 columns: Name, Width, Height, x Scale, y Scale, Flags, Patches. Perhaps you don't see all the columns? In this case just make the grid wider by dragging.

That's where you would enter your numbers. The grid on the right is the list of patches in the currently selected texture, that's the one with xPos and yPos.

I figured out what went wrong!

I've been using XWE v1.09 while your directions applied to v1.14
:-P
1.09 doesn't have a x/yScale option but 1.14 does...

So now I've got 1.14 and everything works fine. Great program

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help!