Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
m0l0t0v

XWE messes up my sprites and flats

I can't seem to be able to import custom sprites and flats properly. The Sprites look like they have been chopped up in misaligned vertical strips.
In the game flats look like the have been stretched diagonally.

Wall textures appear nomal though...

I'm using XWE v1.14; bmp files with the correct palette and everything is between proper markers, so I can't figure out what it is I'm doing wrong...

Can anyone help me out here?
thanks in advance

Or try the latest beta even: http://ca.geocities.com/xwe@rogers.com/xwe_beta.zip. I'm not sure what went wrong with the sprites. With flats, we had an issue: any 64x64 image that was imported became a Doom Image (not a Doom Flat, which is a different format). So you had to click Image|Save as Doom Flat. However, now there's a much simpler way: Double-click the FLOORS button in the lower toolbar, and select all your flats. They are imported in the right format, and they automatically go into the right section of your WAD file. Also the FF_START/FF_END markers are created if needed.

This doulbe-click thing works for all the other Doom lumps too.

OK, that Flat thing really worked, but I still have messed up Sprites.
I discoverd it only messes up with big sprites.

I tried to import a big version of the cacodemon to test it. Here's what I got.

In XWE 1.15 and 1.14 the sprites look all chopped up and in 'beta' the pictures turn all black.

Is it possible to get big pictures looking good?

Perhaps you've found a bug. I've tested XWE with _lots_ of large patches having various levels of transparency. Maybe yours is another special case. What would help is if you could send me (or upload) the original file you're trying to import.

Sounds like you need the latest Best. All official builds have troubles importing large images with any transparency to them.

@ Csabo:
I just sent you the picture by e-mail.

The height of the picture appears to be the limiting factor. Pictures higher than (around) 256 pixels are messed up. The higher the picture is; the greater it is messed up.

Got the picture, it imports fine with the latest beta that's downloadable from the above link. I have no idea how it could have turned black - to you have a custom palette? Try creating a new empty WAD, then import this as a sprite, it'll show up right.

I get the same problems in a new empty wad (with the XWE beta).

When I import the pictures by double clicking on 'sprites' in the lower tool bar it ends up black.

When I use the 'replace (raw data)' ((instead of the simple 'replace')) option
It looked good, but it had an x/y offset of 0/0 and the new picture was not displayed in the game.

When I change the offset the picture turns totally black and is displayed as such in the game :-(

I seems that the problem is limited to sprites taller than 256 with an x/y offset... bizar :-/

I remember trying to import a 256+ sprite with XWE 1.09 a while back and it worked fine.

Unfortunately I don't have that version anymore to test it again. Do you still have XWE 1.09 and if so, can you sent it to me?

thanks for all the help so far.

The fact that it happens for tall sprites is not so bizarre. The original doom format could only handle 254 pixel tall images. If an image is taller than that, the format changes slightly.

1.09 definitely did not import tall images correctly. I don't have that either.

I still don't know how you're able to get this error. It's something on your end. Maybe related to palettes, or your systems color depth, or something with your main WAD... Actually you could do one more thing: send me an actual WAD which has the incorrectly imported image in it. Maybe it will give me a clue on what XWE did if I see the end result.

Hey guys, if anyone has the time try and help us out on this one. Basically export a caco image, resize it in PhotoShop or something to double size and import it back. It works fine for me. Can anyone else reproduce the image-turns-to-black thing?

Out of curiosity I exported HEADD1 out of DOOM2 and then loaded the bmp into IrfanView and resampled it at original size and also at 400%.
I did this first with the Lanczos filter. Then I imported the images into a pwad. The image at original size looked fine, but the larger image had a purple background.
Then I repeated the process with the Hermite filter. In this case, both the images looked fine except for an enhanced outline.
So for IrfanView different resample filters will yield different results.

My next step was to also test this with PSP7. I am happy to state, that both images looked perfectly fine in the pwad.

And just to make certain, I also resampled the sprite at 1000% in Irfanview with both filters and also with PSP7. Here the result was not so good, as the imported image was displayed all torn to pieces, similar to the results obtained by mOlOtOv.

I should mention that I used XWE 1.15.

XWE 1.15 has a problem with large (taller than 254 pixels) and transparent images. If the background turns purple, then the image is not transparent, so you won't see the problem. Make sure you paintbucket over the transparent are with RGB[0,255,255], which is cyan. Also, don't use 1.15, we know that one has a problem. Try the latest beta, that should have all of this fixed, but needs testing to verify.

Sorry for the late reply. I've tried importing big sprites on an other PC, but the results were the same. I just sent you an e-mail with some wad files and describtions.

m0l0t0v, thanks for the detailed email. I can't reproduce it though... When I import the sprite you sent, it works fine on the first try (looks good in XWE and works in Zdoom). The only thing I can think of is that you're not using the latest version, which has this fixed. I've uploaded a new beta just now, it has new fixes (Nash Backslash). The version number in this one will display 1.16. Try it once again please :-)

http://ca.geocities.com/xwe@rogers.com/xwe_beta.zip