Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
fraggle

resurrect freedoom

As I'm sure most people have noticed by now, Freedoom unfortunately seems to have grinded to a complete halt. The reason I've stopped my weekly Freedoom updates is that theres practically nothing to update about. It is going to be a great shame if FreeDoom simply stops and dies now, especially seeing as the patches percentage is at 88%.

With this in mind, I plan to try to finish off a few of the last remaining patches over the next few days in the hope of maybe getting FreeDoom going again, and I call upon others to join me. I have created a short list of the remaining textures:

------------------------------------------------

not done

wall30_[234] - marble walls (wall48_1) with gargoyle faces
wall42_[56], wall47_[45] - metal panels with gargoyle switches

not done probably because they require art

skies (rsky3)
wall50_[12], wall51_[23] - marble walls(wall48_1) with hanging bodies

assigned but still not done

rw48_2, rw48_4 (kman) - twisted mass of bodies, skull switch
rw47_[34], rw48_[13] (kman) - twisted mass of bodies
rwdmon[123456789,10] (deathmaster213) - final boss head. this is practically done and just needs a hole in the forehead
wolf[12345679] (jond) - wolfenstein textures

---------------------------------
It is of course entirely possible that I'm merely beating a dead horse here, but I can but try. We are so close, its only a small piece of work to finish off the last of the textures, and if we did it might get the momentum rolling again. Please let me know if you can help out with any of the above textures.

Fraggle`, I'm working on a city map (supposedly slotted at 13), but it's gonna take a while before I finish it. Same goes for a lot of the other people doing maps, if you want them to be of good quality. Whether or not you decide to use the map is another thing, but doing maps (at least for me) takes a big deal of concentration and planning, so I and most other people are at the point where most of the remaining stuff that needs to be done is going to take a fair amount of time to do. And I do take my time: I've never been one to rush anything just to meet a certain release date ;) I'm assuming you don't want to use the very first things that come your way as final submissions, so I guess now you have to choose between quantity or quality when it comes to the maps. The good maps will take longer to make, but if it's speed you're aiming for I'm sure any decent designer could crank out a few playable maps in a week, me included.

I will ask Ryan if he can divert some Relapse maps to FreeDOOM, I can also ask the Relapse mappers to do a few maps for FreeDOOM.

I just sent in rsky3. I made it for Underworld, but I have no problem with Freedoom using it.

I asked Fraggle to assign rsky1 to me days ago and now someone else slipped one in.

I recently uploaded my try at remaking the wolfenstein textures. (wolf1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9 (where's 8?!?! ACK!)) Also, I've submitted sounds for the boss, teleport and item respawn fogs, and a proposal for a story. I for one will NOT let FreeDOOM die. It's too good an idea, and dammit, with all the stuff done already, how could we bear to say "Alright, throw 'em away."?

(Oh, and BTW, those skag sprites are 5up3r-1337! w00h4h!)

Dsells - thats me! With this map, do I have to keep with the traditional wolfenstein style (squarish type maps) or can I do whatever I want? Just wondering...

If no-one's been assigned map14 by the time my map22 is done, I'll take it. The original map14 is my favourite Doom 2 map, and I'd love to do a tribute, like Dennis Moeller did in Memento Mori.

The original map14 is my favourite Doom 2 map, and I'd love to do a tribute, like Dennis Moeller did in Memento Mori.

...and like that one map in Plutonia too.

That was more of a blatant robbery though. If you could do it without actually taking architecture from the original that would be really neat. Map14 was one of my favorite Doom2 levels as well, next to Spirit World. I didn't really like it's all-brown theme but it was architecturally the most impressive.