Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Here it is: runa-048.

Sorry for the delay - I'm away from home and needed to set up FTP access to the SDA on my laptop. BTW, I renamed the demo to avoid confusion with Requiem NM demos (the standard name format for which is rnXY-TTT.)

Grazza said:
For some reason, I decided to do a stupidly difficult pacifist:

"Megawad" E1M1 UV Pacifist in 1:38. Untidy, but I've had enough of this one.

In the TXT you say:
E1M1 (maybe someone can recognize this map so the author can be given credit)

The map seems to be in BRAVE.WAD, a single map wad using E1M4, but it's been modified somewhat (straight away you can see the Player is positioned differently and that the first door is uses another texture.) I found it in a compilation that came w/ a Spanish games magazine (PC Juegos) and it's also in D!Zone, and apparently in PC Power CD 8, and in no case did it include a TXT.

Thanks. I've now searched my collection for any of this name, but found only a Doom2 conversion (rather poor by the looks of it, possibly an automated conversion) in Maximum Doom (brave2), again with no text-file.

Edit: I've just checked funduke's Maximum Doom Reference, but he has no more information on it, except that it was on the Doomania CD, and that it can be found here (identical to the one you linked to).

I recorded a couple of NMs on a wad that has just arrived in /newstuff, Shaft.

First exits. Map01 is fairly routine. Map02 was more interesting, but after a while Lady Luck decided to smile on me.

Just wanted to thank GRazza and Donce for making demo's with my map. It is appreciated. Grazza, I enjoyed how you used my mistake in the original release to make a nice demo. Keep up the good work on the demo's, they are very nice. Now I shall be looking through some of the other demo's on DSDA.

Anima Zero said:
HR2 Map23, "When The Heavens Fall", UV-Max, in 11:36.

Anima, did you escape from a lunatic asylum or something? That demo was *crazy*! Charging into packs of chaingunners with a chaingun and single-digit health, spamming groups of heavyweight monsters like Revenants with the rocket launcher without strafing, ... etc. etc. You shouldn't be able to play like this, yet somehow you survive it! Very entertaining.

Hello all!

I recorded a speedrun (also pacifist and lemmings!) in 0:21 on a forgotten(?) gem from the archives, "Ask Questions Later". The run features two tricks, a glide and a switch trick, which allows me to skip all three keys in the map.

aql-021.zip

The demo does kind of give away the surprise ending, so if you haven't played the map at all, play it through once first. It's a fine map.

Kristian Ronge said in the text-file for aql-021:
Actually, there's another possible glide (right after the lift, to the right. At least I presume it's possible, since it's a 32 unit gap), but I never got it to work, and I never tried it when I got the first glide to work quickly.

Verified: I managed to get through that gap. I can't quite imagine both these glides being used in a quicker (non-TAS) demo though, unless someone can get these glide tricks down to a fine art.

Thanks for verifying it! It doesn't save as much time as the first one, that glide -- to say the least! -- so I never gave it a serious go. :-)

For me is the second glide very easy, but I nearly cant do the first one. Did both of them in one demo but the fastest time was :31 :(

Well, I did suggest the "Trickaholic" category a while ago. [As many deviations as possible from the intended/natural route, even if it means a slower time. :) ]

Grazza said in another thread:
BTW, if you're looking for another good and little-known old-style Ultimate Doom episode, I can recommend Episode Hell. I'm not sure how suitable it is for NM, but I remember thinking it was generally quite demo-friendly when I played it a while back.

Yes, it is demo-friendly indeed, and I recorded each map in NM. No movie, though, I imagine it would take too much time for me to do it (if at all). Anyway, the demos. All the info is in the textfile.

Nice demos. I'm pleased to hear that my recommendation wasn't a lousy one too.

BTW, there's a slight error in the txt: in the comments on each demo, you give the maps as e1mX rather than e4mX.

Hehe, indeed: most often the first episode is replaced; I'll change that and update the zip tomorrow.

Greetings all,

I was watching some runs from the Scythe demopack tonight, and got inspired, so I did two speedruns:

Scythe map 8 UV speed in 0:09 (also pacifist, reality and lemmings)
Scythe map 31 UV speed secret exit in 0:10

Enjoy :-)

I found some old demos for my old wad Hell Medley (in newstuff chronicles now). I can see that some of them "aren't bad" so I sent them to Grazza to upload.
BTW. Kristian, nice speeds on Scythe, grats to map08. I remember a small contest we had with Method on map08, we tried hardly for about 20 mins but nobody of us got luck, Method had 10.00 and me 10.02 if I remember correctly... Mancubus simply hadn't permited us 9 sec :-)
Oh and what does it mean lemmings run?

Here's Gusta's Hell Medley pack: hm-lmps1.

Note that one of the demos, a2m7n229, doesn't work, presumably because it was recorded on an older version of the map.

Gusta: the demo category Lemmings means minimum kills. The name comes from the classic game Lemmings.

Phil: I thought those demos were very promising. You looked a bit nervous at times (e.g. missed shots), but that generally improves the more you play a map and practice your route. I look forward to seeing more!

Grazza said:
Gusta: the demo category Lemmings means minimum kills. The name comes from the classic game Lemmings.

... and it was invented by the same guy who came up with the "official" pacifist rules: Steffen "Rini" Udluft. Lowest amount of kills wins, if the amount of kills is identical, lowest time wins.

There are some intentional lemmings demos at the SDA and IIRC even at the COMPET-N.

Phil, you're already a skilled player, so don't sweat it. If I'm not mistaken you did a max run on "Blind Alley B" by Gene Bird some time ago, right? That run was good.

EDIT: Oh, where are my manners? Thanks for the kind words, Gusta! I hope you liked the runs.

"Pwad: 18-cyber.wad (part of this .zip)
Map: e1m8
Exe: prboom 2.2.4 -complevel 0

Time:
UV Max - 1:54
UV -fast - 2:05

The WAD: This weekend I found a disc with old levels I designed 1995/97. Some nice ideas, but overall crappy, mostly unfinished stuff.
18-cyber.wad is a small, ugly, but funny e1m8 bossmap. Even 1995 I enjoyed these BFG fests :)

The demos: Much easier than 10 years ago, where I had no clue about straferunning. I'm happy that there's no backpack in this map, so you need some strategy for a good time. I wanted this under 2 minutes. The -fast run is a first try/first exit demo."

I'll send this to Grazza.

Angus Thermopyle said:

I'll send this to Grazza.

OK, but there might be a bit of a wait before I can upload it, as the power is about to be cut here until the late afternoon (cable maintenance).

Edit: reached me just in time. :)

18cydemos.zip

I recorded a tyson/maxdemo for classic episode 2, map01 in 1:06. Happy new year!

Really? I didnt notice any problem. And vanilla works with them? Would be cool...