• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Darkstalker

DeepSea import help

1-What is the difference between a save as PWad and
save as Iwad ?

2-I create new wad on DeepSea and i want to replace map 1 music to a .mid file (Midi.mid) that I have in a folder. I press F7 to go to the import/export box and the button just above Ins/Del (I think it's called Merge/Import). I import the lump , load the target and save all files. But when I play the map, the music didn't change. What must I do to replace the music ?

2) If you want to replace the music for Doom2 Map01, then make sure you name your midi lump D_RUNNIN.

But when I start a new wad, nothing is inside exept map 1. I don't modify the Doom2 wad because I send my friend the map via Hotmail so the limit is 1024 k . We both have doom 2 but we don't want to share a +20Meg file every time.

pwad means add-on, alteration, basically.
iwad means main wad, like doom2.wad.
if you edit an iwad but save as a pwad then it will only save the one level unless you edit other levels and group them all under the same pwad.
and sending any kind of wad over hotmail becomes pretty unviable at an early stage...
as for the music, have you got Midi2Mus?

1:

If you are talking about the radio buttons in the F7 import, it actually says "Save with PWAD header" or "Save with IWAD header". Wad files have a little header at the start that say either PWAD or IWAD.

Most add on wads have the PWAD (patch wad) header to identify it as a patch, whereas the original Id wads (hence IWAD) that contain all the game information have a header that says IWAD. Previous versions of DeePsea would save all wads with a PWAD header. Even if you imported new lumps directly into your IWAD, it would be saved with a PWAD header and various wad tools (including DeePsea) would then refuse to treat it as an IWAD. Jack added the option for the user to pick the format of the header. You can now choose PWAD (default, and what you will want 99.999% of the time, or IWAD. Note: Specifying IWAD does not make a full 20MB IWAD, it just changes the header. It is an option I use a lot for a project of mine.

2:
The easiest way is to first of all rename your midi D_RUNNIN.MID (as suggested already).

Next, open DeePsea and hit F7

Click the merge/import button

Click open target, and select the wad with your level in it.

Click add files and use the dialogue to find your D_RUNNIN.MID file

Click Save ALL Files

Play your WAD.

There are other options (like being able to rename the midi at the time of import etc) but that should get you going.

DeePSea is fun to play around with and use, but the shareware file limit thing is stifling. Only 5 file saves? That sucks to me. I think they should have made it at least 10 or 12, because the full version supports up to 99 file saves.
I think I took it off my hard drive, but I may go download it again.

DeePSea is fun to play around with and use, but the shareware file limit thing is stifling. Only 5 file saves? That sucks to me.

Not exactly. It's 5 DIFFERENT files. You can save the same file an INFINITE amount of times.

So what you've probably done is read in 5 different files and you need to RESET them. On the newer 11.4, press the Reset Tool bar button OR from the Ffile menu, select Reset ALL (or 1 at a time).

As I recall, the error message tells you something to that effect? I'll have to verify.

Yeah, that's what I meant-I just didn't put in the right words I suppose.
Anyway, I used to get this "You must delete 233 lines to use this command" whenever I had edited/changed too many levels and/or made too many of my own.

Anyway, I used to get this "You must delete 233 lines to use this command" whenever I had edited/changed too many levels and/or made too many of my own.

What you really meant was: You added too many lines to your level and thus exceeded the shareware limit for saving. It's not connected to how many levels you edit and/or save.

I went to the movies the other day.

They ran a trailor for Lord of the Rings.

Damn thing was crippled. It only ran for a couple of minutes, I never got to see the ending and characterisation and everything else just sucked.

The full thing runs for hours and has loads more stuff.

The bastards want me to pay for the full version when it comes out, despite the fact I have already seen the trailor for nothing. That sucks!

:-)