Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VinceDSS

Heretic v1.3+ (fixes several problems)

A couple people have been asking for it. So here it is. I have been delaying this release since vv (the author) was speaking about improving it but never got to it... Disregard the bad documentation, it's been thrown in quickly :)

you can record movies and multiplayer demos now, Raven never cared to fix that apparently... it also has a couple interesting features too, just take a look.

Heretic-N accepts any demos recorded with it, even with longtics... for anybody that cares about it :)

you can download it here : http://www.geocities.com/peroxyd2s/Heretic/vvhereticb.zip

Now someone go and implement -fakenet into Doom, since I can't fake it with ipxsetup anymore :)

Great! That's a pretty cool way to implement the changes.

Donce said:
since I can't fake it with ipxsetup anymore

Why not?

I hope you guys can record a couple cool demos with it :)

btw, an interesting feature is the possibility to modify the size of the memory buffer... allowing huge -maxdemo (vv made a doom2.exe with this modification but never saw it). And this buffer increase apparently allows to play bigger maps w/o crashing...

myk said:

Why not?

Wish I knew. In the past I just used ipxsetup -nodes 1 -warp 1 stuff and it worked, but now it doesn't, says "IPX not detected". Hmm, maybe there's something I forgot over the years...

Hehe, pretty obvious isn't it? :) Now I understand why it worked on a 486: these were times when I used to LAN and for that, obviously, I needed to install IPX protocol. Now I thought it should work just because the computer is connected to a local network, but yeah, forgot about that IPX thing. Hadn't tested yet (don't wanna reboot at the moment), will see tomorrow. Hmm, but I now wonder, how did I make it work in DOS.

What a shame, Final Doom Grand Master collection was one of the first things I've dowloaded from the net. Yes, I forget things... Thanks, I'll try that.

Cool. I too, have been playing a bit of Heretic of late and quite enjoying it.

Nice to see the page back.

Edit:
I signed the GPL petition as well. Please Do check some of those names before sending it in please. Some are known bogus. such as number 7.

You can't remove names from that type of e-petition. The petition effort is mostly dead anyways. It was started several years ago and was ignored by the addressed parties when they were made aware of it. Also, it's not even really supposed to be online now. The site said it would only last for two years from the time it started. I was surprised to see it is still up and can still be signed. I figure it cannot hurt anything, anyways.

Our current effort is focused on trying to establish some personal contact with people in Raven and/or Activision and using the combined resources of the community to get them to realize the relicensing will be a good thing for everyone involved.

Thanks Quasar, I have been following the other threads on that issue/effort, and was not sure if this was part of that effort or not.

Hi. Can anybody tell me more about this Heretic v1.3+ vv's hack thingy as well as posting a new link to it?

Thanks a lot in advance if so.

Hi Vincent! :)

Is the chocolate-heretic and heretic+ (with inventory hack) allowed for heretic-n submission?

---

Upd: Shit. Chocolate doom is STILL useless for heretic-n, because these old "authentic" demo recording bugs was not fixed.

as long as choco heretic doesnt run demos made with vvheretic/heretic.exe, it will not be allowed :)

As for the inventory hack, what is that ?

VinceDSS said:
as long as choco heretic doesnt run demos made with vvheretic/heretic.exe, it will not be allowed :)

It playback demos just like as 1.3 heretic.exe did: without intermission screens, so no movies.

I think fraggle can fix these bugs easely. Someone just should convince him. I can't. =)

As for the inventory hack, what is that ?

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/source-ports/49486-heretic-goodies/
Very useful thing for producing movie runs & just in game. No compatibilty break-ups. Just simply hack with single purpose.

tentatively I would approve chocoheretic for nomonsters and speed demos. Maxkills would still need vvheretic as it shows the proper stats.

As for inventory shortcut keys, I would have to say no as it differs too much from the original game where you had to manually select them. Only the tome of power had its own key (backspace).

note : does chocoheretic also carries the demorecording bug that caused the mouse to turn one way more than the other ? (got fixed in vvheretic)

>> As for inventory shortcut keys, I would have to say no

Okay... :(

>> note : does chocoheretic also carries the demorecording bug that caused the mouse to turn one way more than the other ?

Sure. All bugs from Raven's code, even "killing floor" behavior of timedemo mode are still present.

that makes chocoheretic rather uninteresting for demo recording, that mouse issue bugged me to no end.

I have a simply plan for reanimation of Heretic-N.

1. Convince fraggle for fixing all these bugs. Or someone else for making a fork like Strawberry Doom or Chocorendrelimits.
2. Make site update.
3. Then post a news about these two points on doomworld.com