Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David J.

I love Doom Builder

I've had some free time lately, so I've been messing around with Doom Builder and it rocks! I'm new to mapping, so I realize that my first few (or hundred) maps won't be the worlds greatest, or amazing, but I'm having loads of fun figuring out how to make maps.

Thanks, CodeImp!

agreed, im also somewhat new to mapping
iv been dinking around playign with it for a while

i still have yet to fully complete a map tho haha. im waiting for a more stable version of doom builder before i consider mapping for real

it crashes for me alot, and i really dont want to be saving every 5 seconds :(

roflcopter no kidding :)
im sure codeimp will release something new soon

god knows hes had enough time :)

Been busy with lost of other things lately :) Those slopes you all kept asking for discouraged me so much. The code for slopes is terrible, because it just doesnt fit in DB. I will release another version of DB, most likely when the game I'm working on is finished, but it will not have slopes, fuck em.

hey, i dont care if it has slopes/3d floors or other bells and whistles

just aslong as all these crashes are fixed
i gotta say that iv been pretty damn patient up untill now. and i hope that has piad off :) iv lost a half finished map and had to redo large parts of other maps :(

DB is the best doom editor by a mile. Plus it's freeware! So thanks for it. I hope you still have interest to work on it and fix those couple of nasty crashing bugs. Other than that, it's perfect.

fuck slopes!

Yeah I hate slopes too! GO TO FUCKING HELL WITH ADVANCES TO THE DOOM SYSTEM! Doom is not some high tech game so stop changing it! For all i care the old doom levels were a lot funner.(yes, funner is NOT a word but I dont care.)

RICH-WADS said:

lets reduce the 100 to 57 because thats how many it took me to create a decent level

Heh. Most people who've played my first two maps that I'm showing (my 6th and 7th maps respectively) say that they're at least decent. Bare in mind that I'm going for an E1 classic style, meaning they're far more simplistic than the detailwhored ZDOOM things we see today.

Yes there is to much detail. If I opt for good gameplay with mediocre archietechture i suck. If there is good detail and crapy gameply i suck. Doom wasnt meant for detail so for those who agree with me thank god.

shotgunmasacre2 said:

Yeah I hate slopes too! GO TO FUCKING HELL WITH ADVANCES TO THE DOOM SYSTEM! Doom is not some high tech game so stop changing it! For all i care the old doom levels were a lot funner.(yes, funner is NOT a word but I dont care.)

So slopes automatically make a level less fun to play?

CodeImp said:

Been busy with lost of other things lately :) Those slopes you all kept asking for discouraged me so much. The code for slopes is terrible, because it just doesnt fit in DB. I will release another version of DB, most likely when the game I'm working on is finished, but it will not have slopes, fuck em.

Heh, I know what you mean. Some things can certainly put you off programming a project completely :P Slopes for me weren't a huge problem though, since I guess the SLADE 3d mode is setup differently. Once I got my head around the math for them they were pretty simple for me to implement (with a few exceptions, like if a slope 'splits' a line's upper or lower part in half. I'm dreading writing the inevitably hack-y code to get that stuff right :s).

i would have to disagree that slopes are bad and advanced features are bad and stuff, what i ment to say was that fixing bugs is 100 times more importent then
adding features

i dont think maps with features from zdoom kill the maps, they make them 100% better IMO. havent you guys ever played simplicity?

I will have to agree as well. I was never successful at making any large maps until I got doom builder 1.0 (WinDEU tends to mess up every 10 minutes so I never get to save O_o). After getting it for about a monthm i managed to release a 6 level wad preview called "Demon Eclipse: Part 1-Gateway to Abbadon". I could have NEVER pulled that off without doombuilder and that awesome 3d preview/edit feature. Kudos to all of Doombuilder!