Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutrov71

Congestion 1024 demos [-complevel 9]

With the 2.2.6. versions (both regular and plus) the screen doesn´t clear when I´m killed or on level changes (a similar bug has been reported in the prBoom plus forum), so I´d rather use version 2.2.4. which runs ok for me.

Should I release a very slightly updated version of 1024 with the fixed map names? I also found a very small error in map11 that I could fix.
I'm not really sure if i should just leave it as is or fix it up.

updating the text file shouldnt be a problem and if no one's released a map11 demo yet then you might get away with it :-)

Fixing the map names should be completely safe from a compatibility viewpoint, and sounds like something that should be done. Even if someone records on the old version, their demo will still play back on the new one.

No one has recorded anything on map11 as yet, so if the change there is of significant benefit (e.g. fixing something that looks horrible, or a hanging decoration that obstructs player movement - which is really annoying when recording), I'd say go for it. However, the more versions there are floating around, the more likely it is that someone will record something on the wrong version, so I'd suggest not bothering if it is something minor and cosmetic.

If you do decide to amend map11, just be sure not to rebuild nodes on any other maps, as a node rebuild is almost guaranteed to destroy demo compatibility.

Ok I've got it all done. Who should I e-mail it to to re-upload onto the idgames archives? Ty Halderman, Linguica?

You can upload it by FTP to ftp://archives.3dgamers.com/pub/idgames/incoming/
together with a note to Ty that it replaces the previous version - you can mention that at the start of the text-file:

===================================================================
Archive Maintainer      : This replaces the previous version in /levels/doom2/Ports/0-9/
Update to               : 1024.zip
===================================================================
Come to think of it, it should really have been in /levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/ but it would probably cause unnecessary confusion to change that at this stage.

Grazza said:

I didn't investigate the trick too closely - I just noticed that it worked, and was happy to use it.

I presume it is a west->east wallrun along a two-sided linedef. Only part of the wall is of that type (the bits with the scrolling textures), but it is enough to give you a speed boost.

So, make sure you are pressed well up against the wall and straferunning at the correct angle. I used strafe-50 (not strictly necessary, but why not?), so that was 45 degrees. Try it at first with nomonsters, and take your time to get at the correct angle and get a good run-up. After a while you should achieve a good success rate (in itself it isn't a hard jump). Then try to do it more fluidly and quickly, and with a shorter run-up. Your success rate will probably drop a bit then, but should remain acceptable.

Regarding the map01 Max, you could grab the magarmour through the door right at the start. It hardly costs you any time, and means that health shouldn't be a problem from then on. You still have to return to visit the (then empty!) secret of course. This grab would be particularly useful in a Tyson as you don't have to get 100% secrets in that category, and heath is likely to be a bigger issue too.

Thanks for the tips Grazza. I finally got the glitch to work correctly! I've decided not to grab the megarmour through the door though. I just don't have the skills to grab it smoothly so it ends up costing me a second. I have since gotten my recorded time down to 0:36 (I did actually have a 0:35 unrecorded) but will wait till I complete some more demos before re-submitting it, assuming someone doesn't go faster in the meantime of course.

Sounds good Phil and Anima. Looking forward to watch your new stuff. I am also sending mine demos to Opulent today.
EDIT: Forgot to mention my map04 maxdemo (1:16) I did yesterday. And time 2:13 for map15 I sent to Doug isnt the fastest I got. I had some faster exits with infights-using route but that demos really doesn't look so good yet.

Looks like map11 has some shortcuts. One can jump to the red switch from the start with strafe-running, then use the archvile to jump through the window to the switch that opens the exit teleporter. Doing both with the cacodemons around would be the biggest hurdle, though.

Great demos so far :)

I too have recorded some runs to get started:
Map 04 in 1:30 (different route as in Gusta´s 1:16)
Map 05 in 1:21
Map 06 in 1:21

Sending them to Opulent now. Also included is a nice glide demo.

Kristian Ronge said:

And BTW: YAY, WAY TO GO STEVE DAVIS! Final in the UK Championship, his first in what? 10 years? :-)

YAY! That's a happy day :) His 100th final! Come on, Steve!!!

Another quickie, map 2 speed in 0:13. I will go for 0:12 later. Sorry Gusta. Your run was nice, not "crap" as you yourself said.

Jochen -> :-D Final against Ding Junhui? What a dream match!

Good night!

Opulent wrote: "haven't received Gusta's yet..."
You meant gravitar demos not mine aren't you. I haven't announced anything since my latest demos that you already uploaded.

Kristian: No need to apologise, honestly I SUPPOSED that you will go for this run, as I know that I am not able to do some optimised speed with the lags I have in first 10< seconds of playing under prboom. So that map02 run was meant just as a trick demonstration.
Well map16 is a exception I started to think that 18 seconds is unbeatable :-)

Another batch of demos from me:

Map05 UV Speed in 0:32. This should go under 0:30 (0:27-0:28 perhaps?).

Map05 UV Max in 1:16. Still very improvable.

Map06 UV Pacifist in 0:26. Hitscanners make this level a bit on the tricky side for this run.

Sending the demos to Ops now.

Gusta said:
Well map16 is a exception I started to think that 18 seconds is unbeatable :-)

I made an analysis, and 0:17 is in fact possible, but extremely hard. And it requires quick start, i.e. *not* standing still for 0.2 seconds at the start, like in PrBoom...

well maybe it is possible with some monster-glide or speed boost. And I dont know what was decimals in my run. I had some more runs with maybe quicker starts a bit but all of them ended in 0:18.
Btw. guys, what are your favourite maps of this wad? MOst of them are great, but I have to say that I am amazed with map32, the idea, design, textures, gameplay everything is perfect there! And I nearly overlooked it as firstly I forgot that there also secret maps in megawad :)

Map32 also for me, Gusta!

Very nice demo there, Anima :) Btw, you wrote about Map05 max: "I wonder what weapon is better for dealing with the archie". What about telefragging him? This should be the fastest way ;) and result in a final time under a minute I suppose.

That was the exact thing which came to my mind while watching that demo. But wouldn't be easy to execute...

gravitar said:

Map 06 in 1:21

You can save some time there with a little switch trick: the switch near the chaingun can be pressed before it has risen. This means you don't have to do so much running backwards and forwards, and you don't need to press the switch in the blue key room at all.

BTW, in map16, I notice that the bars around the exit have 32-unit gaps between them. I've had no luck at all trying to glide between them though. The same goes for map15.