Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

XWE can't open MM maps either

Yeah , it is because of that stupid S after MAPxx . By removing all those extra S's , and saving using XWE, you can then load it in DB as well.

I'm sure the MM crew did this to make it more difficult for "prying eyes" ;)

I've seen that issue many times in XWE; it's not too common though, so it's probably caused by some specific app that corrupts the info but not enough for Doom or Doom based engines to care. NWT, I think.

The repeated S shows up not only in the marker's name but also on some of the entries under the map header.

Older wads don't seem to have the issue; I think it's more common in wads from the 95-98 era.

NWT was used for MM (TiC was involved) and Point Blank 8 by Denis Moeller was made using DETH and NWT, displaying the issue.

Causes aside, as seen in the Doom Builder thread apparently XWE coud be changed a bit to read these without problems.

hawkwind said:

I'm sure the MM crew did this to make it more difficult for "prying eyes" ;)

It works fine in WadAuthor, so I wouldn't jump to any hasty conclusions about their intentions based on problems (and ones that aren't too hard to work around in one way or another) in two utilities developed many years after the release of MM.

At least, if that was their intention, they made a lousy job of it. :)

XWE can open the maps, you just need to help it a bit. (Renaming the entry, adding "MAP##*" into XWE.INI, or changing the lump type would all work.) The issue is what was already described above: there are extra characters after the first zero byte. The zero byte ends the entry name, and most WAD editors save zeroes all the remaining characters, but apparently not all editors do this. It's not just the maps, there are also some entries like "THINGS S".

Actually I did this behavior on purpose. Instead of ignoring chars after the first zero byte, I just treated the zero bytes as a spaces, and read everything. Those extra bytes could be used for something, it would even be possible to extend the Doom WAD format by using the characters from the end of the lump names. Or if someone really wanted to play around, they could embed a secret message into WAD files by saving the text to the unused characters of the entry names.

I guess it's more annoying than anything so I took it out. Grab the latest beta if you want.

Csabo said:

I guess it's more annoying than anything so I took it out. Grab the latest beta if you want.

Yes, that works fine for me (the 26-12-2005 version).

BTW, I'd suggest giving a more obvious link to the latest beta in some prominent place, in the Welcome thread for instance.

Grazza said:

BTW, I'd suggest giving a more obvious link to the latest beta in some prominent place, in the Welcome thread for instance.

Indeed. Where can I get it?