Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

prboom crashed several times for me when I was just looking around on the maps.
I believe he said gzdoom was his target port.

No crashing for me.

With some of the older versions, I found there were sometimes problems if I had Windows Explorer open at the same time as Prboom. That seems to be gone in recent versions of Prboom-plus though.

Edit: Another possible explanation: Prboom-plus has recently become more tolerant towards a texture error that causes the regular Prboom (and other Boom-based ports) to crash. That might account for it too.

Gusta: I believe there are at least severe HOMs with vanilla.

I spent two and a half hours on NDCP map30. UV speed and NM100S in 23 seconds, UV Max in 35.

Edit: I also did map28 UV pacifist in 1:20 and NM speed in 1:32. Edit3: Scratch those, I'm gonna try some more glides.

Edit2: Thanks go to DomRem for encouraging glide techniques. UV speed in 0:38 on map28.

Edit4: K, I'm happy with these. UV pacifist in 20, NM pacifist in 21.

Philip "ultdoomer" Kiska has sent in a demo on that "amazing" wad N_Mariko.

TAS UV Speed in 2:05. It's Doom2.exe format (recorded with prb+) and he used automated permanent strafe-50 (including during turns), slow-motion and joining.

Thanks... though I had a few attempts where I got the glide to work almost without any delay. They all ended with a failed jump (the one where you need to get past the imp and the sergeant).

There are surely plenty more maps where this kind of trick is possible - it can't be that uncommon a situation.

Opulent said:
dac13 maxdemo.

Hey, what wad is this for? Where can I get it?

Hello all,

Browsing through the archives for playable old-school maps I came across KAT.WAD, by "Eternal Doom" contributors and ex-TNT members David and Kathy Bruni. I did a UV speedrun in 0:09. Although the run doesn't look smooth, the time might be optimal. This took me almost an hour to get... Sigh. ;-)

I'm also including 4 better-looking runs in 0:10, and a "Ronge style" demo. By the way, NM speed should be very interesting for this map.

Enjoy!

I recorded UV tyson demo for Hell Revealed II map02 in 6:17. Haven't been able to do this run for a long time. Today, some better tactics helped to complete it :)

Here are three UV Speeds on Callisto Anomaly.

E1M3 in 0:42
E1M4 in 0:56
E1M5 in 0:37

E1M4 was a bit of a pain due to, of all things, a small pack of imps that kept stripping too much of my health away in the yellow key area. E1M5 is a first exit.

Edit: I notice that in E1M5 there is another exit (a simple switch, instead of the coffin that I used). I suppose that makes mine an "alternative route" demo.

First of all, thanks Searcher for that compliment all those months ago :)

The next batch of Realm of Chaos Demos shouldn't be too far away however they could be depending on my life outside of doom! I do have a couple of demos for you. One is a UV-Speed Run of an old pwad called Base and is done in 39 seconds. The other is a UV-Fast Run of Map01 of Memento Mori II, despite having no desire to go back to the doom2.exe (I can't play without sound!), I thought I would see if I could beat a previous record and this was the time I chose beating it in 1:39, 10 seconds faster than the previous record.

Both these maps were recorded using comp-level 2 with prboom-plus 2.2.6.27

Phil1984 said:

The other is a UV-Fast Run of Map01 of Memento Mori II

Funny coincidence - just a couple of days ago, Eugene Kapustin uploaded a new m201f demo (1:47) to compet-n.

Grazza said:

Funny coincidence - just a couple of days ago, Eugene Kapustin uploaded a new m201f demo (1:47) to compet-n.

Lol, I did not know that! Oh well I guess its still 8 seconds faster than the current compet-n record. I would go back and do it with the doom2.exe, but the imps behind the walls at the start would be a total bitch to do without being able to hear if they are dead.

You could use PC Speaker for sound effects. It's primitive, but at least you get some audio feedback.

Grazza said:

You could use PC Speaker for sound effects. It's primitive, but at least you get some audio feedback.

How would I go about and do that?

Run SETUP.EXE and select it under "Choose Sound FX Card".

Or edit your DEFAULT.CFG so that it includes the line:

snd_sfxdevice		1

Interesting fast Phil. It's impressive that you've got 1:39 without infight between imps guarding the exit door and pinkies. Good luck with doom2.exe demo.

Here's a short demo, combining a thing glide with a switch trick:
"Space Platform" by AReyeP UV Speed/Pacifist in 0:06.

This took a fair few attempts, not so much because of the glide, but because it needs good (or rather lucky) timing to hit the exit switch from mid-air when travelling at glide-boosted speed.