Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

your newbie days

i remember my doom newbie days, back in 1993 when the shareware was released on cd-rom. It had not instructions so i did not know what to do. for the first few months i thought u had to play it off the cd, like old games had to be played off of a floppy disk. I also was new to the set up of the game. most embarassing is the fact i did not know that the number keys switched weapons so i went threw the game useing what ever it gave me. This was a very good challenge and because i had no sound running off the CD i did not know if an enemy was behind me. These hadicaps refined my doom abilities very fast, then i got better with sound support and when i figuered out that i could switch weapons. After that i learned to use strafe correctly and found my ideal key board set up. by this time 8 months had passed and i had become very good. i also never turned to the internet to find codes or walk-thrus i did it all by my self unlike todays newbies

Back in my newbie days, I used DEU for map making, and I used to play DOOM on my oldest system that ever existed in the world, and before I played PC DOOM, I played DOOM for the 32X system, and then the SNES System.

Today I'm no Newbie, and even if someone thinks I am, they are ssssssssssoooooooooooooooo damn wrong!

I may be wrong, old age etc, but I seem to remember my doom coming on floppies?

Yes, as far as I know the very first registered version of DOOM came in floppy disks, I think 4 of them.

/me checks the New DOOM feature with the person who took a look around id Software

Yep, it's in four floppy disks.

my doom sharewAre was on a cd, and it was a low version e1m4 still had the swastika in it and armor had no limit, once i got it up to 750 points and a barons fireball only did 2 damage. also health only went up to 199 not 200. my first version of doom2 was floppies, in this version some of the music was different and i liked it better, also on map2 there was a door infront of both switches, then i got the cd version of doom2 later

they did that so it dont look like a swastika, it is nothing now. I dont think it was because they support nazis i think it was a reference to wolf3D, thye do that in many of there games. i dont know what version that shareware was but it was before 1.666, my friend has the disk someware i will just have to find it

Back in my "newbie" days (mid-1994), I used to own Doom v1.1 reg'd. I was making shitty one-room levels with DEU that had lots of barrels and a Spider Mastermind. I only played it on I'm Too Young To Die until... umm... early-1995, when i was constantly using cheats until 1997. That's about my newbie days in short.

I made a ton of levels which were actually just the originals with new enemies (tons of enemies) and occasionally different lighting for about a year. Then I found out you could actually change structures :)

My newbie days? Errr... Well, I started playing doom w/ the snes and wasn't all that bad, but I DID think that to beat e1m8 you had to kill all the monsters in the dark room to get throught the level :). A while later I played doom2 on the computer (almost always with cheats.). I got bored of it, and stopped playing, going back to the snes, at which point the doom2 floppies broke. Then, about 3 or 4 years later, I went out looking for something entertaining and simple (given my computer was a p100 at the time and there wasn't much i could do with it in the way of gaming). Soooooo i picked up ultimate doom and doom2 again thinking i could get something out of them. and started playing it w/o cheats, enjoying it much more. I got into editing and made 2 crappy excuses for levels with WA. Soon after that I started to beat doom1/2 regularly and get the hang of level making, thus ending my newbieness.

... early-1995, when i was constantly using cheats until 1997. That's about my newbie days in short.

That is NEWBIE , I mean cheating sucks !

@Deathwarrior : Now you understand ?!?!

Man, it's hard to remember that far back. It seems like I've been playing DOOM forever, like it's my purpose or something. Maybe it's PREPARING me for my purpose.

I started playing two days after it came out, and I've played pretty much constantly (except for the times when I didn't have a computer, and the computers I played on were gone, sometimes months at a time).

I developed a character after getting the living shit kicked out of me more times than I care to remember. I have only played one person better than me so far. I don't like to sound arrogant, but then again, it's the truth. If I ever find a server, I may find out differently, but until then ;P.

DC

... early-1995, when i was constantly using cheats until 1997. That's about my newbie days in short.

Advice: Don't start shit w/ people when you're still a newbie (I don't use that offensively) to the forum. Keep this kinda thing up and who knows? You might wind up with the whole forum against you. After all, the reason nobody let up on cacodemon leader is because he didn't know how to "drop it" either. And besides, plenty of people here, including me, started our dooming days cheating. It's to be expected.

yea people can be really big whiny bitches here and they dont like being offended cuz its never happened to them in real life.....watch out or for they may flame u (woooo im scared) atleast i can get a decent answer in the editing department

yea people can be really big whiny bitches here and they dont like being offended cuz its never happened to them in real life.....watch out or for they may flame u (woooo im scared) atleast i can get a decent answer in the editing department

Advice: Don't start shit w/ people when you're still a newbie (I don't use that offensively) to the forum. Keep this kinda thing up and who knows? You might wind up with the whole forum against you. After all, the reason nobody let up on cacodemon leader is because he didn't know how to "drop it" either. And besides, plenty of people here, including me, started our dooming days cheating. It's to be expected.

Others that call me a newbie really offends me, big time.

ah... the newbie days. i had a 286 until doom 2 was out for about a month. never even saw it before. heard about it from my friends (who i annoyed with "what's it like?" questions). i even got a copy of doom 2 and installed it on the 286 just so i could read the readme. anyways, got it, inched thru it (no cheats), and played it non-stop ever since.

HAHAHA ROFL, you are somewhat stupid. It is 2001 now, not 1997.

hmm, played doom on my 486/33, at high detail in a window about half the size of the monitor in order to keep it quasi-smooth. edited with DETH for awhile, made 1 masterpiece level (it sucked bad, real bad), and gave up editing. heh. i also didnt know how to strafe for the longest time when i first began to play :)

I can remember my first time playing Doom. It was on the Snes followed on the psx. Then came the day when I finally got my computer last year and was lucky enough to find the "Depths of Doom triogy pack". Then in April of last year, I began making my first Doom map. It was a awsome feeling.

Here's how mine started:

My dad introduced me to Wolfenstein 3D for the first time some years ago. It didn't have real sound effects though. Only triangle waves and noise channels. It must have been the early DOS version of it or something. Still, there was no feeling like running through a maze of rooms shooting at Nazis. Experiencing a first-person shooter game for the very first time can be a rush.

About a year later I bought Wolfenstein 3D for the SNES. I had a blast with that too. But then during Christmas that year, my cousin introduced me to Doom on his computer. I thought to myself, "Hey, what kind of Wolfenstein game is this??" (Heh...) He says, "This isn't Wolfenstein. It's Doom." I was blasted away about twice as much than I was with Wolfenstein. I mean this game had like stairs, curves, and a sky!

About a year later, I bought Doom for the SNES, and almost completely ignored the Wolfenstein game that I had. I still remember how eerie it felt to play Halls of the Damned for the first time until I ran out of ammo for my chaingun, out came the damn rocket launcher and BOOM! Dead.

I didn't switch to WASD until 1997 probably. I still can't believe I ever didn't have dedicated strafe keys, ESPECIALLY for like 3 years.

This thread was originaly started here on DW (as far as I remember) by AndrewB. 3rd or 4th post of the old general forums, I believe...

It's Interesting to read the replies.
You can't say that it is going to be
exactly the same as last time can you?
Jeez.

Mine was just a meaningless blurb of info. This one was the first REAL post in DW's forums...If I remember correctly, the other ones were labeled "Test", and "Linguica this sucks" or something equally stupid (kinda like the first 90 posts after the software change).

Ahh. Right.
Yeah.

Glad to see nothings changed.....

Actually.......

Run For Your Life. The Stupidity will Kill you!

RUUUUUUUN

Run where? The stupidity can't get me through my monitor, can it?

Run where? The stupidity can't get me through my monitor, can it?

That's it's main cause......The monitor!

Its got you its too late for you now.............
Everyone! Save yourself!

(Stupidity leaks through monitor and jumps. Hits me in Eyes)

It will drain my int..........

Duh,, how do I complete e1m1 of Doom on Easiest.?

I got the pistol and i attacked the grey shiny monsters an my screen goes red.....................................