Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eugene

MM2 Tricks

I've tried many times (today after watching Angus' great tv25 demo too) glides on levels 22 and 23 of MM2 but without any success. May be glide's experts can beat these levels with the tricks.

Where's the one you have in mind on map23?

If on map22, you're thinking of one around the yellow-key bars, then perhaps it is the same as the Doom2 map21 glide - where for reasons I don't understand a 32x32 non-rotatable square fits through a 45 degree 24,24 gap.

May be we can glide from sector ninth through linedef 1729 or 1730 (32 units wide) to sector 269. Well, I know the possibility of glides here is negligible small, but I never know until today that multiple glides like on map 25 of TVR! are possible.

Oh yes, that's both possible and quite easy (I did -nomo after just a few attempts). I hadn't noticed that linedefs 1729 and 1730 weren't impassable.

On a related topic to multiple glides, Gusta commented on long glides in this thread.

BTW, I have edited my previous post, following a comparison of mm2 map22 with Doom2 map21. I don't understand why the Doom2 map21 glide works, and have never done it myself, but this one looks similar.

I didn't watch the demo yet though the time is great. Thank you Kristian. You should try MM2 map 22. Or Graham, may be you will be lucky with this glide and then (I'm sure) you definitely beat map 21 with C-N record time :-)

I doubt that, but at least I have now managed to do the lv21 glide a few times.

One difference between the lv21 glide and the proposed m222 glide is that you have more space for a run-up in lv21. I only managed it with S50, and I don't recall seeing this glide done the slow way. I can imagine that speed might be a vital factor here, if the basis for the trick is the engine not "seeing" the player overlapping with the walls at any of the 1/35 second intervals.

On the subject of mm2 tricks, I did a little bit of work a while ago to check the feasibility of m209 Pacifist. You need to get a caco to follow you into the room where for Speed you'd do a rocket suicide, and then get the caco to kill you so that you slide to the exit. I think it should be possible.

Map 9 is a nice level, so maybe I'll try it. :-)

I found a glide on map 26, too, by the way (gliding past sector 346). It's pretty useless, though, unless you can get there through a short-cut (maybe by making a glide from sector 124 -> sector 295??? Never got that one to work, though...)

I've watched m223-005.
Well, seems such kind of tricks is impossible without mousing.

Thank you for a great demo Kristian once more! Please (if you have motivation) record nmare and pacifist entries.

MM2 map 9 pacifist with a caco help is hard but definitely doable with some patience. I've done some initial tries of this pacifist together with hp31s in 2004. Good luck with both runs, you really need it.

Good luck with a glide on map 26 too.

Next glide could be performed on level 17 of HR. Grab any key and run straight to exit. It would be fantastic demo in combination with red key grab.

Heh, cheers Eugene. I missed your last post here. :-)

You have nothing to thank for, I should be thanking you (and I do!) for finding that great trick. NM and Pacifist should both be very hard, but maybe I'll get around to it. Don't hold your breath, though.

Small update: I tried MM2 map 9 pacifist. My evaluation -> if it's not impossible, then it's so insanely hard nobody in their right mind would try it for longer than a couple of hours... I tried it for many many hours and got out of the window *once*, but stopped way short of the exit trigger line. Also, it's not enough crossing the edge of the pit; you have to cross a line placed in the middle of it. I'm not even sure a slide of that length is possible without rocket assistance. If it is, then the luck required to survive the start, successfully lure a Caco into the area and have it hit you at *just* the right time, after you've made an optimal acceleration is ... well ... I wouldn't even like to try it using TAS. :-P

I still love the idea though. If someone wants to see my best attempt, let me know by e-mail.

Heh, better late than never, so send me your best attempt on map09. I'm still waiting for your m223 nm and pacifist, with steady breathing of course.

Talking of the maximum length of slide without rocket assistance, my s226 featured a long one (longer than m209?), and I'm sure there are longer ones. In Eternity I had a slide on m209 where I flew to the other side of the exit area (not crossing the exit line though), but I wasn't recording, and I had used a save having got the caco to follow me. I've had no luck with Doom2.exe/Doom2.exe compat though (even when testing).

Oh, hi again, Eugene. Sorry, I deleted that attempt a couple of days ago. Nobody replied so I didn't think anybody would be interested to see it. :-( Comforting news -> it wasn't any good anyway.

Grazza: Hmm, yes, the m209 run/slide is awfully awkward and non-predictable (attempts looking set to work fall flat, and my best attempt came out of nowhere) .. for me at least. As I said, I consider it to be too hard to seriously try. There are better things to waste your time on! (like Extremal Doom) ;-)

Eugene said:

Or Graham, may be you will be lucky with this glide and then (I'm sure) you definitely beat map 21 with C-N record time :-)

I wish good luck to anybody that gonna try to beat my lv21-017.
- Doing the glide is easy when you go with the slow way (fast way is just cheer luck)
- after that you have to stay on that ledge
- then blow the barrel among imps in one shot
- find a way through the chainies
- and finally survive the chainies

that makes godd 5 reasons to fuck up this map :)

Since I did the glide the slow way it's far from optimal.