Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Angus Thermopyle

Revolution! demos [-complevel 2]

btw. Also managed to record a double glide speed demo on map31 but my time was just crappy 0:39 which equals Grazza.

I've improved Map10 UV Max to 3:26 tv10-326.zip - a bit messy but it'll have to do for now. It's the map Angus was working on a few weeks back. I just copied his route, but treated it a bit differently, eg. using a couple of rockets against Archie, and not bothering to clear the barrel ring in the slime before jumping in.

For a better time, it would be a laugh to use Archie to jump onto the crate with the rocket box and then finish him off with those :-) Speeds the ending up too and under 3:00 should be possible - but not by me ;-)

Nice demos, cack_handed. And thx for the Map10 route changes :)

I just improved UV Max to 3:14. Without the AV jump though. My success rate is too low. But you're right, under 3 minutes is possible.

EDIT: New time is 3:09. I'll try further.

Watching shotgunmassacre's MAP11 it looked like a good map for pacifist, so I did pacifist in 0:33. Sorry to beat your first demo, man :). Sent to op.

I tried a max on map29, and got time 2:09 (cool time for map 29:) Sent all my latest demos to Opulent just NOW.

Angus Thermopyle said:

I did Map10 UV Max in 3:03.

Wow, that's a massive improvement! One more small trick I noticed - you can cut the corner on the walkway by jumping inside the pillar. Whether the saving is worth the hassle I don't know - here's a rough NoMonsters just to show the idea: tv10m046.zip

Knocked off another UV -fast. This time, it's for map04. Time is 3:38. Still very improvable IMO (3:25 or so sounds like a good time here).

I think the only UV -fast map undone now is 32. Once that's complete, we'll have a full UV -fast pack :).

Sending my map04 UV -fast to Ops now.

Anima Zero said:

I think the only UV -fast map undone now is 32. Once that's complete, we'll have a full UV -fast pack :).

Is there -fast run (or any demo, for that matter) for map 08 yet? If yes, I must've missed it... :P

AdamW said:

Watching shotgunmassacre's MAP11 it looked like a good map for pacifist, so I did pacifist in 0:33. Sorry to beat your first demo, man :). Sent to op.

Dont be, i knew that it was a slow time and that was the first time that I played that level ever, so 1:04 on my first time playing the level isnt that bad, besides that was only the second demo that I have ever made. And times are always ment to be broken ;)

Edit: Oh, and i hate to make pacificst runs, but I wanted to just give it a shot to see what I could do. I feel pacifist runs kill the whole point of the game.

shotgunmasacre2 said:

Dont be, i knew that it was a slow time and that was the first time that I played that level ever, so 1:04 on my first time playing the level isnt that bad, besides that was only the second demo that I have ever made. And times are always ment to be broken ;)

Edit: Oh, and i hate to make pacificst runs, but I wanted to just give it a shot to see what I could do. I feel pacifist runs kill the whole point of the game.

Your demo wasn't pacifist, I just made mine pacifist as there's no particular need to shoot anything in this level. I love pacifist - understanding and exploiting monster behaviour is sometimes more interesting than just blowing 'em out of the way...:)

cack_handed: very cool, all your initial demos are pretty good, I hope we will see much more stuff from you. Btw. I also use mouse to move forward/backward very often because I never got used to play doom with -novert

I use the mouse for small forward / back adjustments all the time. I can't play with novert, it feels all wrong.

It's not the mouse for forward/backward movements that is so unusual about cack_handed's control set-up. Look at it with LMPC, and you'll see that the most common type of strafing is s50 and there is no turning while strafing - it's either one or the other. Does anyone else move like this?

I recorded a maxkill for map24 in 1:21 yesterday (eh ... sorry Angus :), but today i saw that maybe I can improve it more so I will perhaps try it again.

Gusta said:

cack_handed: very cool, all your initial demos are pretty good, I hope we will see much more stuff from you. Btw. I also use mouse to move forward/backward very often because I never got used to play doom with -novert

Thanks for the encouragement. It's a pleasure to play through such a great Wad that hasn't been totally done-to-death so it's possible to record some competitive times.

>>Grazza: there's a simple reason my stuff looks a bit odd: I don't use any keys at all for turning or strafing. I just hold down the right mouse button to strafe, so turning at the same time = impossible. It makes circle strafing a pain, but you can achieve some very fine aiming control by strafing instead of turning and still make very rapid about-turns. On the whole, not a very good idea, but I'm used to it and have been playing too long to think about changing.

I've improved Map10 UV Max to 2:50.

No AV jump, but with better weapon usage (SSG for second arachnotron and lost souls, so you can waste all plasma in the labs) and other tiny changes (like ignoring archvile at start). A big thx to Gusta for his ideas and support :)

My demo is ok, it has some little mistakes, so I'll try again. 2:45 is my goal with this route.

Great demo Radeg, I find that it is interesting to see all these people beating my non-pacisfist time by a lot, so I am glad that I see people doing it with such ease.

Hi Radeg! Cool to see you here :)
I improved max on map24 to 1:20 but it's still not enough, wanna go to 1:17-1:18 here (no luck yet...)