Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathz0r

The /newstuff Chronicles #271

Sorry, no smartass intro paragraph this week. I found out that I was diagnosed with Crapwaditis syndrome on Sunday, and I needed to recover for a few days. How I even got that is literally beyond me, but I have a feeling it's related to this week's /newstuff. Read this entire article to find sixteen zips of variety ranging from texture WADs, themed deathmatch WADs and the usual batch of pathetic single player maps. There are a couple of gems though.

• Another stupid brick map! - MasterOfDeath
    Boom - SP - 128kb - (img) (img)
    This week we start off with the appropiately titled "Another stupid brick map!". It doesn't really seem that stupid, but was a pain in the ass to finish for me, especially with the low ammo and health count at the start of the map. Also, don't be surprised to see an abundance of brick textures.

• Cheapy Can't Map - CheapAlert
    doom2.exe - DM - 49kb - (img) (img)
    Damn straight he can't map! Actually, the layout is quite good, but the texturing is quite... all over the place. However, detailing is second priority in DM maps, so I don't really care about that! The item placement is fairly good and there is great interconnectivity between rooms, but I don't understand the purpose of the archviles and chaingunners at the very end of the valley.

• Dark Arena Texture Set - Samuel Villarreal
    N/A - N/A - 748kb
    A bunch of ripped textures from a Gameboy Advance game I've never heard of for everyone to use. Do I need to go into greater detail?

• Death Cube Cannon - Jimi
    doom2.exe - SP - 46kb - (img) (img)
    I don't get this map at all. Not only does it have a ton of missing textures, I also cannot figure out how the hell to finish this map.

• DeHackEd - old versions - Greg Lewis
    N/A - N/A - 617kb
    Yay, old DeHackEd versions! For the nostaglia nuts (like me), these old versions of DeHackEd provide two interesting uses: To observe the differences between each version, and to use old patches that are incompatible with DeHackEd v3.1.

• De Kerker (The Dungeon) - ravage
    Eternity - SP - 1,612kb - (img) (img)
    Hey cool, an Eternity map! You don't see those often.

Look no further this week, this map is by far the cream of the crop. Great detail overall, the new textures are appropriate for the theme, the map takes great advantage of Eternity features, and the map also sports challenging gameplay that is balanced quite well. WAD of the week.

• Ladder Tutorial - Kyle Guthrie [Skunk]
    doom2.exe - N/A - 14kb - (img)
    This is a demo map showing how to create ladders with the doom2.exe engine. It's nothing really new (I have used it in UDM2 MAP03), but it is a neat trick regardless.

• New Order - Moniac
    Enhanced Port - SP - 295kb - (img) (img)
    I don't understand what the hell this has to do with a NES game (as stated in the text file), but it's quite interesting regardless. The detail is pleasing and the gameplay is challenging, but the map is horribly linear.

• PALACE OF NEMRAC - Paul Corfiatis
    Boom - SP - 228kb - (img) (img)
    This map, originally finished in 1998 for the Millennium Forever project, was finally touched up and released to join the trend of "Millennium will never be finished so I'm uploading my map in protest" maps you've seen over the past few years. That said, it is quite a brilliant map overall, with great detail and very interesting usage of Cacodemon pits. I don't believe there's enough ammo for this map, as I had to fist a few Pain Elementals along the way, but that's probably just my crappy single player skills.

• Project Dark Zone - evilhomerdoomer
    Skulltag - SP - 12mb - (img) (img) (img)
    I have to say that I'm disappointed by this WAD overall. It had a lot of promise, but the gameplay fell short. It's rather boring, predictable, and I got sick of it after a few attempts. That said, if you're the type that prefers detail over gameplay, this WAD is for you. Another thing, I believe a 12MB download is a bit of an overkill for three maps plus a credits map.

• Real Men Use Doombuilder - ravage
    Boom - SP - 111kb - (img) (img)
    Real men check their maps for missing textures and horrible misalignments.

Despite being a corny "make a level from letters and words" map which I normally hate playing, this map has some sort of coherent gameplay.

• Stun - Wills
    ZDoom - SP - 113kb - (img)
    I should have read the text file before I checked this out.

• Temple of Reflection - Kyle Guthrie [Skunk]
    ZDoom - SP - 134kb - (img) (img)
    This map has two things which I hate; A large maze and excessive use of GSTONE1. The blue skull room is also really cramped and hard to do battle in. If you love mazes, you might want to check this out.

• The ZODIAC Deathmatch, 2nd edition - Milian
    ZDaemon - DM - 2.2mb - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Well, this week's only multi-level deathmatch WAD is quite an unusual one: The map layouts are themed around the signs of the zodiac. Not like I believe in that star sign crap, but I find it quite interesting that it made its way into a Doom WAD. Anyway, the layouts are gimmicky at best as they don't really have the best flow. The detail is something that needs improvement overall, but the thing that intrigued me the most was the music. For a deathmatch WAD, it's awfully pleasant to listen to, which kind of gives the WAD a bit of a relaxed environment. There's also a music WAD that replaces the MIDIs with arranged compositions.

• We are 183! - Daimon aka Walter Confalonieri
    doom2.exe - SP - 204kb - (img) (img)
    This map is fairly average overall. I mean, it's so average that I can't think of any smartass comment to say about it, other than it's average. There is one area which is filled with archviles though, which is really annoying to get past.

fp?

Awesome. What's up with the Real Men map? Someone had a good laugh. And then sobered up and said "oh crap".

FUCK. I know why.
I tested it in zdoom, which supports the WFALL* animated textures (the door textures, no clue. might have been that problem with the nodes I had with zennode.), but fuck. I'll have to release a second version ;_;

the archies and cgunners are stuck there because you're not supposed to be there you noclippin trespassing tard lolol

De Kerker gonna play that map cause its the first map I see with all dutch words in it :)
The map screens looking good too, there are some other maps that look interesting.
Not such an bad week imo.

Bloodskull said:

Is it just me or is Newstuff just starting to slowly crumple back to 1994 wads soon?

we are gunna run out of them at some point, unless of course someone is making them all on purpos everyweek :)

Bloodskull said:

Is it just me or is Newstuff just starting to slowly crumple back to 1994 wads soon?

This sentence isn't especially coherent, so I'll just say no.

"NES"

Gunsmoke is the name of one of the author's previous maps. It's a subset of New Order and I didn't like either very much. Although I do like New Order the band, especially Technique.

Bloodskull said:

Well there were no 94 wads in this newstuff.

Bloodskull said:

what

BlackFish said:

Realmen has no missing textures with plutonia.wad.

That would probably be because Zdoom added the WFALL* textures to its internal ANIMATED lump, so to support plutonia. I can fix this for other ports by addiing my own ANIMATED lump with those textures listed.

While I'm at it, does Boom support ANIMDEFS lump? I don't really want to have to find the compiler for ANIMATED lumps..

I'm also pretty sure that door's texture is screwed up thanks to some unknown bug in zennode that doesn't cooperate with texture offsets in rare occasions. I talked to Quasar about that when it happened to my eternity map too. (that was thankfully fixed before release though.)

Apparently zennode occasionally fails to propagate texture offsets to new segs generated by splitting lines. This means your linedef has more than one seg -- normally the seg gets a texture offset to tell how far along the line it starts rendering.

Quasar said:

Apparently zennode occasionally fails to propagate texture offsets to new segs generated by splitting lines. This means your linedef has more than one seg -- normally the seg gets a texture offset to tell how far along the line it starts rendering.

Though, one thing I'm not sure about. Does that happen with y-offsets as well? From Deathy's pic, that's what happened to the door. the x-offset there was fine as far as I can tell.

Edit: Apparently so. o_O

Quasar said:

Several node builders seem to have that problem. ZDBSP suffers from it as well and I also encountered it with WARM. Best solution: Don't use the offsets in the segs and instead calculate them yourself when loading a WAD.

After a lot of testing I had to conclude that it is best not to trust some information in the segs. I also encountered problems with the side field. It tends to get incorrect assignments in some node builders when they process levels with compressed sidedefs.

rf` said:
That would probably be because Zdoom added the WFALL* textures to its internal ANIMATED lump, so to support plutonia. I can fix this for other ports by addiing my own ANIMATED lump with those textures listed.

Eternity's ANIMATED lump contains WFALL as do most others. After all it was defined in Doom2.exe.

While I'm at it, does Boom support ANIMDEFS lump? I don't really want to have to find the compiler for ANIMATED lumps..

You can find the compiler in here: http://zdoom.org/files/utils/utils050999.zip

[/QUOTE]

I never really did understand why Boom's ANIMATED lump made it necessary to have a compiler just to define a set of animted textures/switches.

Scuba Steve said:

Ravages map was nice. The places where it went black and I had to fumble around were lame though.

Kinda necessary because thats where the invisible teleports were.

In the Death Cube Cannon you're supposed to survive from about 53 monsters... The 54th death cube telefrags the boss demon which will end the game.

De Kerker was interesting enough to show that Eternity's portal technology can give levels more depth... doesn't mean I'll spend the time to make such a level though.

Ravage's map was real fun. Master of Death's Another Stupid Brickmap was a great balanced effort as well. Mind you when the reviewer reviews the map, some of the gameplay gets spoiled which can make it easier playing to that style. Nevertheless, it's better than "Here is the newstuff! Drudge through all of it yourself!"

Rawr, nice to see a new Eternity wad. It looks really nice, but it's way too crowded and doesn't play all that well if you ask me. Even still, keep it up.

sargebaldy said:

Rawr, nice to see a new Eternity wad. It looks really nice, but it's way too crowded and doesn't play all that well if you ask me. Even still, keep it up.

I like crowded, so long as it's not Deus Vult or HR..