Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristian Ronge

Master Levels for Doom II demos [-complevel 2]

DSDA pages

Hello all,

Here's a very miscellaneous demo -- map 32 of Sverre Andre Kvernmo's TEETH.WAD (from the Master levels), UV max in 1:06. This was really really hard. I think 1:05 is possible, but perhaps only with TAS?

BTW, also Reality, yay!!! :-)

Edited by Maribo

Kristian Ronge said:

map 32 of Sverre Andre Kvernmo's TEETH.WAD (from the Master levels), UV max in 1:06.

Good stuff. BTW, what did you use to record it with? This demo desyncs without REJECT overflow emulation (as did Ledmeister's 1:07 demo), so I imagine you used a recent Prboom-plus or Chocolate-Doom - or Doom2.exe (despite what you put in the text-file).

Thanks for the kind words!

Grazza said:
BTW, what did you use to record it with? [...] I imagine you used a recent Prboom-plus or Chocolate-Doom - or Doom2.exe (despite what you put in the text-file).

I recorded it with PrBoom 2.2.4 (which is what I put in the text-file :-P). You're right... it de-synchs in all versions of PrBoom 2.2.6 I have. But it plays alright in doom2.exe. Wierd.

It seems you were quite lucky then!

The difference appears to be that Prboom 2.2.4 doesn't attempt to patch the REJECT (unlike later versions), which in the case of this demo appears by chance to keep it close enough to the Doom2.exe behaviour. Led's demo desyncs in 2.2.4, BTW, and there is no guarantee that other demos recorded in this way will work with Doom2.exe (I mention this in case you're thinking of going for 1:05).

Thanks for the heads up! Nifty detective work. I guess Sedlo's lucky bird landed on my shoulder temporarily there. Phew! :-)

1:05 would likely be a TAS project (at least for me), and to tell you the truth I've had quite enough of that map for now. Maybe some rainy day I'll have a look at it again?

Kristian Ronge said:

I recorded it with PrBoom 2.2.4 (which is what I put in the text-file :-P). You're right... it de-synchs in all versions of PrBoom 2.2.6 I have. But it plays alright in doom2.exe. Wierd.

What sense to record demos with old buggy version of prboom? I suggest to use last version of PrBoom+ or even PrBoom 2.4.1. Tons of compatibility bugs have been corrected in last versions PrBoom(+)

It makes no sense. Things are like that sometimes. :-) FYI, I still regularly use ZDoom 1.22, so that should tell you something about me...

Anyway, another Master levels run. This time UV speed on "Canyon" done in 0:11.
Featuring yet another one of those trick glides. I suspect it can be done quite a bit faster, actually (see the .txt for more details).

Tom Mustaine's Paradox (Master Levels) Nomonsters Speed in 0:16

From the txt:

Just your standard triple pseudo-guided (east-to-west) guideless flat-faced 32-unit glide. :)

I make use of some recent insights (mostly by Creaphis) to get in position fairly quickly and reliably. I use a little burst of strafing and then full-speed forward movement. And only when in position do I start the slow forward motion.

This should be easy enough to do Pacifist (with monsters), but I got sick of the imp not getting distracted. I didn't bother recording a UV Speed as it seemed a bit pointless.

parao016.zip

So I have a 1:14 Tyson for teeth.wad Map32 and I've done this twice now, both desync with PRBoom-plus/GLBoon-plus. I am still going to upload them when I'm done, but any reason they desync for this map?

Edit: Was there ever a naming template for the Master Levels?

Altima said:

So I have a 1:14 Tyson for teeth.wad Map32 and I've done this twice now, both desync with PRBoom-plus/GLBoon-plus. I am still going to upload them when I'm done, but any reason they desync for this map?

Edit: Was there ever a naming template for the Master Levels?

The REJECT lump for that map is too short. The behaviour is emulated OK and tends to lead to a desync if not emulated. Reject overflow emulation should be turned on - there is no reason to turn it off (other than to play back demos that were recorded with Prboom before the problems was understood). Actually, I'm a little puzzled how you have "achieved" a desync. Did you record with Doom2.exe and then play back without emulation, or using an ancient version before this feature was added?

As for a naming convention, there are too few demos on the Master Levels for any consistent naming convention to emerge or be devised, but here is the naming I included in my autoloading patterns (first four characters, with the remaining four to be used for category and time in standard fashion):

attack (Master Levels): attk
blacktwr (Master Levels): btwr
bloodsea (Master Levels): (none)
canyon (Master Levels): cany
catwalk (Master Levels): (none)
combine (Master Levels): (none)
fistula (Master Levels): (none)
garrison (Master Levels): garr
geryon (Master Levels): gery
manor (Master Levels): mano
mephisto (Master Levels): meph
minos (Master Levels): mino
nessus (Master Levels): ness
paradox (Master Levels): para
subspace (Master Levels): subs
subterra (Master Levels): subt
teeth (Master Levels): (none)
ttrap (Master Levels): trap
vesperas (Master Levels): vesp
virgil (Master Levels): virg

For the ones listed "none" (where there were only ad-hoc named demos when I made the patterns), feel free to devise your own non-clashing four character code. For teeth, you'd need two or three characters to allow for the fact that there are two levels.

Grazza said:

The REJECT lump for that map is too short. The behaviour is emulated OK and tends to lead to a desync if not emulated. Reject overflow emulation should be turned on - there is no reason to turn it off (other than to play back demos that were recorded with Prboom before the problems was understood). Actually, I'm a little puzzled how you have "achieved" a desync. Did you record with Doom2.exe and then play back without emulation, or using an ancient version before this feature was added?

Recorded it in doom2.exe v1.9, played it back in GLBoom+ v2.5.1.3 and it would desync. I finally got one where it didn't desync in GLBoom+ for the purposes of my YouTube channel, but it's annoying having to get 1:14 three times to have something that didn't desync in GLBoom+. The irony behind it all is that it would still playback correctly in doom2.exe v1.9.

Grazza said:

Please upload the problem demos so this can be investigated.

As soon as I'm unlazy, I think I only kept one of the desyncs, but either way I have one to be checked out. If you want I can keep playing and try to make another =3

Edit: You have got to be goddamn shitting me. I play it back tonight and it's playing right? I'm going to look and make sure it's the right one.

Editedit: Seems to be playing fine now, but I did switch up from 2.5.0.3 to 2.5.1.3 since then, so maybe it was only on an older version? I'll investigate some more and see if I can replicate it or figure out if it was due to an older version... really fucking strange. Anyway, should be uploading them soon as an actual, but I'll upload the original trouble demo as well in case it gives anyone else problems too.

Doom II: The Master Levels
Bad Dreams (teeth.wad)
Map32 Tyson in 1:14

I mentioned this a while back and just kinda forgot to upload it. I was unable to recreate the desync issue, and it seems to play back fine in the latest PRBoom+/GLBoom+ release, so... I dunno. You'll *need* the latest one to play it back unless you playback with Doom2.exe (which it was recorded in)

Edit: Apparently I put the wrong map name in the text file. Put "The Express Elevator to Hell" instead of "Bad Dreams"

te32t114.zip

I don't normally post up a run of equal time, but the run I had for this seems to be completely flawless yet still can't drop that last half-a-second or so, and as such the only way that seems to be left to drop this to a 1:05 would be to somehow get a rocket to blast you just a tiny bit faster into the invulnerability WITHOUT killing you... so, after getting 1:06 somewhere in the ballpark of 100+ times, I don't see 1:05 being possible without some of the dumbest, most ridiculous luck I've ever seen.

Bad Dreams (teeth.wad)
Map32
UV-Max in 1:06

Also, I honestly don't even remember if this was my best exit or not (my absolute lowest was 1:06.5x) but that's besides the point at this stage of trying.

te32-106altima.zip

TEETH.wad Map32 from the Master Levels for Doom II

UV Fast in 1:15

exe: Chocolate Doom 2.0.0

I try doing this without the "megasphere & light switch strat" but holy shit trying to dodge fast barraging rockets in total darkness is nearly impossible compare to just doing it on a regular UV run.

Also includes a funny bonus demo of getting blasted away when I was INCHES away from the invulnerability
powerup ;_;

te32-fast115.zip

On 8/31/2013 at 5:59 AM, Altima said:

I don't normally post up a run of equal time, but the run I had for this seems to be completely flawless yet still can't drop that last half-a-second or so, and as such the only way that seems to be left to drop this to a 1:05 would be to somehow get a rocket to blast you just a tiny bit faster into the invulnerability WITHOUT killing you... so, after getting 1:06 somewhere in the ballpark of 100+ times, I don't see 1:05 being possible without some of the dumbest, most ridiculous luck I've ever seen.

So uh, I got this thing here. Pretty sure it's optimal. Only took like 5 years off and on. This breaks the 4-way 5-year tie.

Bad Dreams (teeth.wad)
Map32
UV Max in 1:05 (te32-105)

Then there's this less significant thing that I did before I did the above one for the same map.
Tyson in 1:06 (te32t106)

te32-105.zip

te32t106.zip

BLACKTWR (Master Levels for Doom II)
MAP25 UV Fast in 15:37.80 (no previous record)

Demo: blacktwr-f1537.zip
Video: 

This would have been a great map, if it weren't so broken. There's a monster-path-finding-bug in this map that prevents the cacodemons on the 2nd floor from leaving their windows. 80% of the runs end because there's some cacodemons left alive behind a wall that you cannot even see.

TEETH (Master Levels for Doom II)
MAP31 UV Fast in 7:32.69 (no previous record)

Demo: teeth31-f732.zip
Video: 

Ah, The Express Elevator To Hell! Quite a brutal and claustrophobic map. Almost all the fights are in close-quarters, and as you go up to the higher floors, things get even more intensive - I have to say I do enjoy this map. Since the current UV Max record stands at 9m34, I'm pretty satisfied with the current time.

MEPHISTO (Master Levels for Doom II)
MAP07 UV Fast in 5:43.29 (no previous record)

Demo: mephisto-f543.zip
Video: 

Mephisto... this map is a nightmare. The central room is an arena where you have to fight several waves of monsters. But the first is by far the worst: lots of revenants. Circle-strafing around the arena is usually enough to survive, but not with fast monsters. Thankfully I discovered a different strategy to approach the revenants which is both safer AND faster: you just grab the rocket launcher and drop directly down on the pit on your right. There, you can manage to circle-strafe at the right speed, without bumping walls, and never get hit or blocked.