Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xit-vono

Official Demo Request Thread

mod edit: This thread is for suggestions and requests for demos that other people might try to record.

Do not use this thread as a way to pimp your own wads.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Schneelocke wanted a pl29 maxdemo so I made one for him. If anyone wants to see a demo done you can ask for it in this thread.

xit-vono said:

Schneelocke wanted a pl29 maxdemo so I made one for him. If anyone wants to see a demo done you can ask for it in this thread.

Thanks a bunch for that! I just saw it on the C-N ftp site, and will watch it right after I finish this post. :)

Are there any demos out there for that wad? I should be able to do a max demo for it. I don't know if tyson is reasonable though.

xit-vono said:

Are there any demos out there for that wad? I should be able to do a max demo for it. I don't know if tyson is reasonable though.

Here's the original version of the wad with my max demo. No changes to the gameplay area between this and the new version.

http://belial.dmclub.org/techbas1.zip

What would it take to make the map playable tyson style? Is it even possible without making max runs overly easy?

Edit: I would also appreciate any input about coop, if possible.

entryway said:

I request more scythe2 max demos (with prboom)

That'd be nice. We also still have some holes in the speed and pacifist categories, and tyson and -fast are both very far from being completed. So there's still lots of stuff there where you (Xit, that is, although the same goes for everyone else as well of course) can be first. ^.^

I request more scythe2 max demos (with Doom2+)

Techbas6, as that is the final version, unless you provide some info on making it tyson compatible. The only other changes will only affect coop.

It may be helpful if someone made a table of demos for scythe2. I figured out how to get it to work with doom2 plus.

Nice idea for a thread. How about some of the "classics" that are lacking demos? Some of them may be demo-unfriendly (and that's the reason no one has recorded on them), but I'm sure people would be interested in watching demos on things like PAR, Equinox, maybe new demos (Max, Speed, -fast, NM) on Hacx, etc. And Belltoll deserves a demo, as does that little wad Espi released a while back. Scientist 2 would be nice as well.

Grazza said:

Scientist 2 would be nice as well.

Heh, what a coincidence, I'm playing through this wad now. Nice one. Recorded 13 demos so far.

Donce said:

Heh, what a coincidence, I'm playing through this wad now. Nice one. Recorded 13 demos so far.

Great to hear - I look forward to seeing them. I trust you have spotted the switch trick for the map20 exit, and that you can do the rising platform area leading into it pacifist-style. (I recorded a crap and therefore unreleased UV Speed - something like 1:54 - using those ideas.)

Grazza said:

I trust you have spotted the switch trick for the map20 exit, and that you can do the rising platform area leading into it pacifist-style. (I recorded a crap and therefore unreleased UV Speed - something like 1:54 - using those ideas.)

I was just exploring this map for tricks. Yes, the exit trick isn't hard to find, and I was just trying to pacifist-survive the platform. But the problem is, when I press the switch after the plat's up, there are 4 hell knights. Not the hardest part. You can dodge two of them while hiding from the other two, and then press the switch opening path to the exit area. The real problem is the cacos. See, I was trying to do all this in nightmare :) Another option is to let all the monsters teleport and kill them with plasma, but when you have to deal with the hell knights, those monsters start respawning very quickly. Well, maybe I'd have my luck after eons, but I don't have this much time, so it's final: 14 NM demos. All the maps except 8,9,14,17,19,20. Yet to write all the txt, so expect the pack tomorrow I think :)

Well, I kinda wrote down all the comments and packed everything up. The wad is here and the NM pack is here. Note that I used doom2+ instead of sci2.exe (somehow managed to miss the fact that one is supposed to play with the modified exe), that's why many demos desync with anything but vanilla. See the textfile for all the details.

Donce said:
Note that I used doom2+ instead of sci2.exe (somehow managed to miss the fact that one is supposed to play with the modified exe), that's why many demos desync with anything but vanilla.

It should be possible to make a copy of the wad and delete the DEHACKED lump from it, to play these back with PrBoom or PrBoom+.

Ah yes, I didn't realize that even in vanilla version of the wad, there's a dehacked lump inside. After deleting it, two of the demos that previously desynced, played back OK now. Haven't watched more, but I think they should be fine.

maxdemos for 1024.wad maps 21 and 30? Only two remaining maps for completed maxpack. they aren't hard .... I just don't have much time to play them atm. So pls. somebody complete this pack.

Donce said:

The wad is here and the NM pack is here. Note that I used doom2+ instead of sci2.exe (somehow managed to miss the fact that one is supposed to play with the modified exe), that's why many demos desync with anything but vanilla.

The map05 and map07 demos desync in Doom2.exe and Doom-plus, so I'm a bit puzzled here. They desync in just the same way in Prboom-plus with spechits overflow emulation turned on (i.e. it is emulating Doom2.exe correctly), and only play back when emulation is turned off.

You wouldn't perhaps have used an early version of Chocolate Doom (before spechits emulation was added) by accident? I know you state that you used Doom2+, but the demos don't play back with that, so...

Or is it some weird system-specific thing? i.e. the overflow (whether occurring "naturally" or via emulation) has no effect on some systems, and leads to a desync on others.

Nope, I haven't even downloaded any version of Chocolate Doom. Now I ran those demos again - everything's fine. Played with vanilla exe and sci2.wad sized at 15,508,912 bytes. I think I got this wad after running the included scisetup.bat in SCIvanil directory. If you tried the same wad version and they desync, I have no idea why.

I tried S205n546.lmp and it desync for me with doom2p. I tried without deh and the demo still desync, but much later.

Grazza said:

i.e. the overflow (whether occurring "naturally" or via emulation) has no effect on some systems, and leads to a desync on others.

It is possible of course, because it depends on the address of memory where the wad is loaded. I only use a some compromise value of this address for emulation.

entryway said:
It is possible of course, because it depends on the address of memory where the wad is loaded.

Given that both s205n546 and s207n516 work properly for me (I hadn't noted desynchs back when Donce released the pack, and just double checked those two), it seems to be the case. It's cool to see that in these cases toggling emulation will make the demos synch on PrBoom/+, as seen also for Scythe 2.