Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Did several demos for "Maze of Frustration" (It ain't that frustrating IMO). Can be found in the latest #Newstuff, but I've also provided a link in the txtfile as well.

Anyways, the runs are as follows:

UV-Max in 0:53
UV-fast in 0:50
UV-Speed/Pacifist/Reality in 0:11
NM-Speed/Pacifist in 0:13

Sending them all to Ops now.

I havn't seen too much loving for NewDoom Community Project so here are some demos for Map08 of that megawad. Included are Nightmare, Pacifist, Speed and Max demos. As always if someone can do better than me I would love to see some faster demos of this map!

Phil it was fun to see those, nice job.

I do get sync problems on the last two :

ndP-131 & ndN-105

On my system even using comp levels (1,2,5,9) on prboom 2.2.3, Boom, and the same prboom you recorded them with. MBF won't play them either. I have not yet tried Eternity and will next. Did you record them with any other complevel?

The others all play fine on Prboom 2.2.3.

They work fine for me (both with PrBoom-plus 2.4.6.1 current beta and with Prboom 2.02). They are Boom 2.02-format demos, and are autodetected OK (no need to specify a complevel; remember too that in general it is very rare indeed to need to specify one for playback).

I can only suggest checking that you have the right version of the wad. Mine is dated 18-Jan-06, and I believe that is the one on the archive.

Phil: I was surprised by you using the SSG for your wake-up shots in the Pacifist. Seems a bit risky to have all that buckshot flying around, though of course you were very careful not to hit anything with it.

Searcher said:
I do get sync problems on the last two :

ndP-131 & ndN-105

What is it with people not being able to playback my demos! rrwoods had problems with my MMH demo. Schneelocke couldn't play back my Compet-N Demo and now even you Searcher can't play back my demos! I would suggest downloading the latest version of the wad in the archive as it was updated from its original release.

Grazza said:
Phil: I was surprised by you using the SSG for your wake-up shots in the Pacifist. Seems a bit risky to have all that buckshot flying around, though of course you were very careful not to hit anything with it.

I like to live life on the edge and to some people that means base jumping/sky diving but to me that means using the SSG for my wake-up shots in Pacifist mode.

Nah all my wakeup shots were right up against walls so I didn't see the need to change weapons, i guess something could have gone wrong but in all my attempts of that level I never did hit the enemies accidentally. I guess if I did i would have changed to the pistol or whatever.

Grazza & Phil: My mapset is dated Jan 01 so I need to get the new one. You are both right.

Hobbs: 2.2.3 is my default on my desktop, I like it. I have a dozen or so newer and older ones including the very newest on the system. No biggie. It very very rarely fails.

I'll go get that new mapset, but it does make me wonder why two play and two don't.

Edit: The one in the archive is dated Jan 08 so may not be the right one. I will go hunt for the newest one. Phil What is the date on the one you used? Was it the one you Linked to?

Hmmm thats odd, I used the one i linked to in my post which is dated as the 8th of Jan however the wad when downloaded has the date of the 18th of Jan.

Either way, download the wad that is currently in the archives and you should be right.

I remember the days of dial-up....fun-times! Heh 30 minute download to see MY demos? I feel guilty that i didn't optimize my runs better now ;)

Searcher said:
Did you record them with any other complevel?

I think this should always be written in PrBoom demo text files; each compatibility setting is basically the equivalent of a different engine, so noting a demo was "recorded with PrBoom v2.x.x" is not enough. At the very least it's an annoyance to anyone not using PrBoom to watch the demos, when it's certainly possible to watch them with other stuff (Doom, Boom, PrBoom v2.02, Eternity, etc.).

2.2.3 is my default on my desktop, I like it. I have a dozen or so newer and older ones including the very newest on the system. No biggie. It very very rarely fails.

That's curious... I always keep only one version (the latest of PrBoom and PrBoom+); it's not like they change much, and the latest has fully up to date demo playback and fixes (overflow emulation, DEH fixes, etc.). Does v2.2.3 offer you any advantages? (Kristian still also uses v2.2.4, for some reason).

It's almost like using Doom v1.2 instead of Doom v1.9.

I know it does have some failings; back when it was the latest it nearly put Vile off when he was recording TVR! NM movies, that kept desynching on Doom2.

In terms of compatibility, the differences between 2.2.3 and 2.4.6.1 are really quite major. Right now, I only know of four demos (out of thousands tested) of suitable formats that desync* with 2.4.6.1. I could list well over a hundred that fail with 2.2.3. Those are mostly due to critical dehacked issues, but there are quite a variety of other fixes too, and new compat modes.

For recording and watching demos, there are also big differences. Some mean greater convenience or extra info, while others are fixes of really annoying bugs (such as the "monsters avoid hazards" glitch).

I can't think of any positive reason to use 2.2.3. If it is anything to do with differences in the default settings, then these can be changed in a matter of seconds. Just leaf through the menus and/or the cfg. Or else just copy your existing cfg across and choose what settings you prefer for any new options (which is what I do with each new version).

-------------
<small>* Within this definition of "desync" I include "stay in sync when they should not", and "exit but with some difference".</small>

Got the new map and it plays the ndcp demos of Phil's just fine.

Thanks guys, but please don't sweat me using 2.2.3 as a default. I can access any of the many versions I have on my system in a couple of clicks. I am just a creature of habit. Heck I didn't upgrade to 2.2.3 for seems like two years after using 2.02 forever. There are only maybe half a dozen demos on my system that won't play with 2.2.3 but work fine with the others. Those demos are mostly crusher/avoid Hazard issues. Those all pretty much play with 2.2.6 or newer.

Have a great holiday everyone. I am headed out of town today for 5 days.

Searcher said:

Got the new map and it plays the ndcp demos of Phil's just fine.

Thanks guys, but please don't sweat me using 2.2.3 as a default. I can access any of the many versions I have on my system in a couple of clicks. I am just a creature of habit. Heck I didn't upgrade to 2.2.3 for seems like two years after using 2.02 forever. There are only maybe half a dozen demos on my system that won't play with 2.2.3 but work fine with the others. Those demos are mostly crusher/avoid Hazard issues. Those all pretty much play with 2.2.6 or newer.

Have a great holiday everyone. I am headed out of town today for 5 days.

Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of using 2.2.3 and not - for example - 2.2.6?

Kristian Ronge said:

One of the main advantages is that you get a lot of question about why you still use the older engines. ;-)

I fail to see why that is an advantage. :)

Yes, well, then again, you use a newer version, right? ;-)

Actually, I have several PrBoom and PrBoom-plus versions installed (2.4.x, 2.3.x, 2.2.x, and 2.02) but I use 2.2.4 for recording. I use newer versions (typically 2.2.6) for watching. Simple but stupid reasons; don't want to get into it.

Kristian Ronge said:

Yes, well, then again, you use a newer version, right? ;-)

Actually, I have several PrBoom and PrBoom-plus versions installed (2.4.x, 2.3.x, 2.2.x, and 2.02) but I use 2.2.4 for recording. I use newer versions (typically 2.2.6) for watching. Simple but stupid reasons; don't want to get into it.

Yes, I typically use 2.3.1 myself for watching demos. The reason initially was that there was nothing newer (prior to the 2.4.x series); later on, IIRC, I didn't switch because of the changes on the Options screen which I had gotten used to, although it's been a long time since I checked that, so this may not be accurate.

I should probably switch to something newer, like prboom+. :)

Kristian Ronge said:
Actually, I have several PrBoom and PrBoom-plus versions installed (2.4.x, 2.3.x, 2.2.x, and 2.02) but I use 2.2.4 for recording.

Well, it's bound to occasionally record demos that'll desynch in newer versions, or in Doom or Boom (the engines from where the most used demo versions stem). Heh, of all things, recording is probably the least advisable activity using an outdated version. When just watching you can switch to another engine if a demo desynchs, but when recording you might have to decide between dumping a hard earned (possibly fortunate) recording, or uploading a faulty demo (that requires a buggy engine version few people will use).

Not trying to tell anyone what to use, but I don't really get what there is to "get into" when talking about versions that are so similar. It's not like when you update from Windows 98 to Windows XP, it's more like when you download the newest critical updates from Windows Update.

Phil1984 said:

I like to live life on the edge...

One of my boss' sayings is "If you aren't living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space."
maybe that is why he can do the work of 2 1/2 people...

My connection is still acting up so my attempt to get back to playing ZDaemon didn't work out.

Instead, I did a demo for the map that I've recorded my first serious UV Max on.

Back then I only played to beat the map, without any thoughts on optimizing the route. I didn't even watch other demos recorded for it.

This time I've put some more effort into it.

Erik Alm's X-treme map01, UV Max in 6:55.

Belial said:
Erik Alm's X-treme map01, UV Max in 6:55.

Great demo there; Vile's was already extraordinary in pulling quickly through such a brutal map, and you just ripped over two minutes off the time!

Grazza said:
"Cathedral of Doom" by Steven Swiniarski, UV Speed in 1:05. First exit: two tricks.

I absolutely adore this map, so I had to record something on it that was in the time range you specified:
UV speed in 0:42.
Clearly, at least a low 0:3x is possible, but it's just too frustrating.

Nice. I had a feeling you'd take this on, given your earlier comments about the wad.

I notice a small potential route improvement, as the bars in front of the exit door are 32 units apart. But this is definitely 100% guaranteed non-useful. :p

Anima Zero said:
While I'm not Grazza, I did do a quick UV-Pacifist run for E1M8 of Door to Hell with a time of 1:15.

Thanks for the route improvement! Made a new E1M8 UV speed in 1:07. Note that it isn't pacifist (I just don't have as much patience with slow shotgunners as you do! ;-D).