Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathz0r

MOD Tracking Compo #3!

Come one, come all to another installment of "Doomworld forum members make songs, everyone criticizes" contest! I'm going to break the theme of previous contests and make my own which you will all hopefully enjoy! So GTFO chiptunes, we're making oldschool 80's style MODs!

DOWNLOAD SAMPLES HERE - Load as 8-bit, signed, mono in Modplug Tracker. Fasttracker 2 users need not apply!

RULES:
~~~~~~
- Songs must be saved as the .mod format
- Songs must not exceed 100 patterns in length
- Songs must only use four channels, with the following stereo panning levels:
Channel 1 - 64
Channel 2 - 192
Channel 3 - 192
Channel 4 - 64
- You can only use notes that range from (going by Modplug Tracker notes, which are obviously different between other trackers) C-4 to B-6
- You can only use up to 31 instruments
- Covers/remixes are allowed, but don't think about ripping MIDIs or you're disqualified (and I'll hunt the MIDIs down too)

Wait a second, 31 instruments? That's right, you will be given a much wider choice in instruments than previous compos! Not 10, not 20, not 40, but you have 212 instruments to select from! Aren't I such a nice and generous guy?

You can choose any genre you want. You can even make a damn chiptune if you're smart enough. I don't care, just follow the rules and you'll be fine.

You will have until Tuesday 19th September to create your song. After that, the public can vote for their favourites as follows:

+3 - deathz0r
+2 - Tom_D
+1 - AgentSpork
-1 - Ralphis

Take note that giving a negative vote is completely optional, so don't stress about having to be a nasty evil overlord or what say you.

Also, as an added bonus, if you are able to get your MOD to play correctly on Protracker 1.0c (which I will test), you will get a bonus 10 points! If you want to see an example of a compatible MOD, download my half-assed Megaman 2 - Metalman cover and bask in its oldschool glory, or try the extended Club Mix!

Due to the spam I get in my email, I will ask everyone to preferrably send me their votes and submissions via forum PM or IRC if I'm online. If you absolutely must send your submission by email, send it to deathz0r -=at=- unidoom dot org. I will not accept any votes by email, as I'll probably miss them.

I'm also not going to compete in this, so you can't accuse me of cheating (YES, YOU TOM). I'll make a rule about cover songs depending on whether you want them allowed or not.

Man, why does it always have to be MODs? I don't know thing one about those.I can whip up stuff pretty easily in FL though, heh.

because .mods rock and they aren't prefabricated looping crap

I'm certainly in for sure! I'll be there like shareware o^_^o

also where samples plez...

also, covers?

leileilol said:

because .mods rock and they aren't prefabricated looping crap

Uh, it's not? Don't you use PREFABRICATED samples in LOOPS and patterns to create songs?

Mancubus II said:

Uh, it's not? Don't you use PREFABRICATED samples in LOOPS and patterns to create songs?

hush, logic is of no thing to cheapy!

Csonicgo said:

hush, logic is of no thing to cheapy!

what, cheapy doesn't go to doomworld, he's a newdoom jerk remember

leileilol said:

what, cheapy doesn't go to doomworld, he's a newdoom jerk remember

I keep forgetting, my apologies.

leileilol said:

also where samples plez...

When compo starts, which means when I get enough interest.

also, covers?

yes/no

VOTE

Count me in again as well...if I can actually get something in before it ends this time?!

How come the lowest note has to be C-4? I have some old Soundtracker mods that go lower than that.

(I didn't realize that rule until halfway through making my song :()

Devin said:

How come the lowest note has to be C-4? I have some old Soundtracker mods that go lower than that.

That's Modplug-specific. Protracker and other Amiga trackers only have three octaves, which are displayed as C-1 to B-3. Fasttracker extended that a lot further both ways, and the equivalent for that is C-3 to B-5.

And for the record, my CD from 1994 full of .mods all range from the Amiga "C-1 to B-3" standard.

EDIT: Observe this:

http://deathz0r.unidoom.org/junk/protracker.png
http://deathz0r.unidoom.org/junk/fasttracker.png
http://deathz0r.unidoom.org/junk/modplug.png

They all display different notes, yet yield the same result.

CONTEST IS FINISHED NOW GET LOST

The submissions will be uploaded in 24 hours so I can make sure there's no rip jobs.

Ok, I dunno if the webmail thing that Manc uses is MySQL-based, but if you sent me a submission via email, do it again. I never received any via email.

SUBMISSIONS

I'm not happy with the amount of submissions, but oh well! Remember to vote by PRIVATE MESSAGE on these forums or by any form of instant messaging (like IRC)!

TomD666 said:

I could have made one of those neato melodic mods but I was bored and did some crappy metal one, heh.

The beginning reminded me of Earthworm Jim, which is an instant awesome qualification.

RESULTS TIME since I'm actually at home now so shut up Tom, ok?

1st - Baron (24 points)
2nd - Devin (14 points)
3rd - Tom_D (11 points)
4th - Leileilol (3 points)
5th - TheDarkArchon (-4 points)

Congrats to Baron for winning and to Tom_D for not winning. Thanks for playing! NOW GO AWAY

Baron totally deserved to win as his MOD kicked ass. Though I'm surprised my MOD actually did alright.

I thinks we need a metal compo next, hint hint Slayer hint.