Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristian Ronge

Scythe demos [-complevel 2]

Did one more demo here before getting off for the night: Improved map31 UV -fast to 3:21. Perhaps a few more seconds or so can be shaved off, but this map is making me say some unpleasant stuff right now, given the time I needed to get an acceptable demo :P.

Sending to Ops now.

Well that zipfile you made includes also my recent extremal doom demos and revolution demos. so pls somebody upload those demos into right threads. Thanks.

Thx for inspiration, Kristian :)

I just improved Map29 NM Speed to 0:28.

EDIT: I also did Map25 UV -fast in 2:55. It has a very nice ending ;)
3rd exit. Big improvements are possible.

Seems like some action on map29 now, so I did a UV -fast for the map. Extremely tough for me, as it's very easy to die quickly. I had to get the Soulsphere in the central area and Megaarmor secret right away so I could survive in the 2nd building. Getting the Megaarmor at the murky pool is risky, given all the enemies who could smoke you there. I wasn't too keen on letting an archie out and roaming around, which was the main reason for me not to go after that Megaarmor right away. Perhaps it's faster, but I'm not sure.

Once I get the RK and BFG secret though, it's much much easier from there on.

Some slow/sucky spots, but otherwise not too bad.

Oh, and the time is 11:36.

Will send to Ops now.

Very nice run, Anima! Map29 was next on my list, but I doubt I could do it faster than you, so I'll try another one: Map22.

Oh, and I'd like to see a better sf25. Plz give it a try :)

Angus Thermopyle said:
Thx for inspiration, Kristian :)
I just improved Map29 NM Speed to 0:28.

Thank you in-kind, Jochen! :-)
I improved map 29 NM speed to 0:26.

And I also just realised I had the naming convention for Scythe NM demos wrong, so I changed the names of my map 19 NM runs (and download links) to reflect this. Yeah, I'm thick. ;-)

Wow, great, Kristian! I never tried this kind of start here. I hope I will learn from this lesson :)

EDIT: Sedlo said once (from pl01-011.txt): "eaziest way is almoust never the fastest way :)"

Yes, one of my Sedlo favourites. Here is another one, from lv24-034.txt: "If you belive in yourselfe you can make everything you want". :-)

Well, this was yet another run that was hell to get, but I managed to improve map25 UV -fast to 2:21 with some route/strategy tweaks. Probably can go 5+ seconds faster, but I'm getting a little fed up with this map for today :P.

Will send the run to Ops now.

Managed a fairly nice improvement for my map25 UV -fast run. Changed up one thing in the strategy compared to my 2:21 run and got a new time of 2:15. Couple rough spots, plus low health near the end, but all worked out otherwise.

Sending to Ops now.

Stubborn 'ol me improved map25 UV -fast yet again. Unlike the previous 2 demos I've done for this level which took me a good 3-4 hours each to get an exit for, this one came after roughly an hour's worth of attempts.

Close calls here, especially at the end. That was a nail-biter for me.

Time for the new demo is 2:07. Now I'm satisfied with the run, as it'll be hard to improve on for me outside of infighting mayhem in the MM/arach/caco area.

Sending to Ops now.

EDIT: Oh boy, I just realized I forgot to switch the -complevel to 2. Had downloaded version 2.4.6.1 of PRBoom Plus today before recording this run and forgot to change it, so my demo is a -complevel -1 demo. That isn't going to be bad is it? If it is, please kick me now :).

EDIT 2: Well, if it's best the last demo be redone, then no worries. I just did another run for the map in the same time (2:07), but now I remembered to switch it to -complevel 2 beforehand. I hesitated too much after hitting the switch in the MM/arach/caco area and cost myself a second, but otherwise it ain't ugly looking. I'll wait for a confirmation about my original run before I send this one off to Ops though.

Anima Zero said:

EDIT 2: Well, if it's best the last demo be redone, then no worries. I just did another run for the map in the same time (2:07), but now I remembered to switch it to -complevel 2 beforehand.

Since you've recorded this "real" one, then I think you might as well make it public. -1 does make a significant difference.

BTW, I always find it easiest just to keep my old cfg files and check if there are any new or changed options to set in the new version.

Grazza said:

Since you've recorded this "real" one, then I think you might as well make it public. -1 does make a significant difference.

Alrighty, I'll send off the "real" one here to Ops in a bit. Doesn't look too bad, save for that hesitation at the switch in the MM/arach/caco.

Yesterday i did sc29-023.I think someday, someone should be able to do it in :19, :20 but only with very-high sr50 skill imo. There are few important moments : First to get out from the building - You need some luck with monsters (because of free way), especially with Archies on stairs. Second is sr50 run to wake up Archie which you use to jump - As you can see my run is poor so there you can save at least 1 sec. Third moment is luck with Archie jump - Often i had to wait too many seconds till i got archviles attention. In this demo i have luck. Last moment is run to exit - no comment :)

Sent to Opulents mail.

Kristian Ronge said:

Good job, Jakub! :-)
I was almost expecting you to go for 0:23, as you seem to like that map very much.

Thanks. Sc29 is something like my little baby - I must protect it at all costs :)