Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lupinx-Kassman

The worst wads

What are some of the most unpopular wads known? I know several-

wow.wad (lol)

1337.wad (Was this done on purpose or is it really that bad?)

Nightmares of Loki (Nice idea, awfully done.)

Doom 2099 (It was a nice effort, but 13 separate files which all combine to make something... unexpected.)

The Sky May Be (to tell the truth I enjoyed this wad, why do people hate it?)

Know any others? (Not considering joke-wads which were done that way on purpose).

lupinx-Kassman said:

1337.wad (Was this done on purpose or is it really that bad?)

On purpose. It's also well-known who did the maps.

That "resident evil" "mod" that the author claim to have the authorization (and resources) of 3DFX.

Graf Zahl said:

You forgot Sadhustt.

Same guy, same shit.

That one didn't seem to be quite as bad though. Nothing can compare to a roughly 8 million high player height and an entire map with no textures of any kind and filled with enemies (HOM everywhere you looked!).

Of course I'm going to mention nuts.wad (I believe that's the title), for the simple fact that the author thought it would be "cute" to create a giant rectangular arena and fill it with literally over 10,000 enemies, which is sure to slow down even the fastest computers. There was also some wad I played, that I can't remember the name of, that runs in Zdoom and has some anime theme, attempting to be an RPG of some sort. It wasn't terribly done but I really didn't enjoy it at all. Also, all the joke wads I've ever played were pretty shitty.

dutch devil said:

I'm kinda surprised that nobody mentioned Auferstehung yet :)

I was going to, just to irritate darkexodus, but I didn't think it was worth it.

Ichor said:

That one didn't seem to be quite as bad though. Nothing can compare to a roughly 8 million high player height and an entire map with no textures of any kind and filled with enemies (HOM everywhere you looked!).

And don't forget this beauty by the same guy.

GoatLord said:

Of course I'm going to mention nuts.wad (I believe that's the title), for the simple fact that the author thought it would be "cute" to create a giant rectangular arena and fill it with literally over 10,000 enemies, which is sure to slow down even the fastest computers.

Actually he did it just to test that he could successfully upload to the archive, before submitting his magnum opus, Equinox. And I get a fully acceptable framerate on my nearly 5-year-old desktop machine.

I'd say there are several categories of crap wads. If you're looking for simply pathetic attempts at mapping, then nmare1 and boom2_3 are strong contenders. Other categories could be: puke-making (due to tasteless content or horrid textures/sounds/lighting, etc.), theft, annoying, malicious, "fatally flawed masterpiece", and unfunny joke wads. Obviously a true winner would combine several categories.

Vegeta said:

That "resident evil" "mod" that the author claim to have the authorization (and resources) of 3DFX.

That's reudel. and funnily enough he posted in this very thread just earlier, taking my word and sucking up rofl

Jokewads by Wills.

By and large jokewads are unfunny and crap, notable exceptions being Mockery and Mock 2 because they were good for a chuckle (Mockery not so much), and DO-TIMS, not for being funny per se (though some bits were) but for being a rather good all around mod.

I simply Hated Do-Tims, if there was a mapa with the same storyline accept with Good maps not bad ones, I'd probably play it, Oh and not so shitty sprites either :(

- sausage -

WADs like DO-TIMS really piss me off. Not because the maps are shit but because someone who clearly can do better is wasting his time and talent to create something that's just not fun to 'play'.

Graf Zahl said:

WADs like DO-TIMS really piss me off. Not because the maps are shit but because someone who clearly can do better is wasting his time and talent to create something that's just not fun to 'play'.

deathz0r apologizes that he didn't make cold as hell 2 with better ACS

*looks around*

No mentions of DRE yet... as often as it's echoed elsewhere, I'm surprised. Ah, the memories...

I'm going by the outline "most unpopular wads known?" made in the first post.

I got pretty much to the end of Action Doom and it's hard to call it bad when the design and puzzles are so clever and the new graphics are so inviting. I can see why you'd put that on the list though, simply because, like Contra, there's nothing that disupts gameplay and causes more frustration than not giving the player ANY hitpoints whatsoever.