Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Icarus Demos [-complevel 2]

Another Icarus map done pacifist-style:

Map 28 ("Excavations" by Steven Phares), UV Pacifist/Speed in 0:38.

If you know the map, you are probably thinking "How?" (for both the time and the category). Well, I won't ruin the surprise...

(Apologies for the low quality of this demo; I just wanted to record something using this idea before I had forgotten about it.)

Yes, Donatas used that little route improvement at the start in his NM run, which I noticed just after I'd recorded.

I'm sure you're right about this one going well into the 0:2x range, but it's going to be an awfully frustrating one to do. Definitely not a map designed with smooth movement in mind.

BTW, I notice that in 1-player coop (net1), you could skip the red key and use a rocket launcher to exit instead. Shame there's no RL in normal play.

Oh, I didn't know he'd made a run for this map in NM (the SDA doesn't list it, and I couldn't find it in this thread). EDIT: Okay, found it, but the link is dead. :-(

And I completely agree that this map is a nightmare to speed through, ugh how I hate those small arches everywhere in the corridors.

Kristian Ronge said:

Oh, I didn't know he'd made a run for this map in NM (the SDA doesn't list it, and I couldn't find it in this thread). EDIT: Okay, found it, but the link is dead. :-(

OK, I'll upload it (and others that might be missing). Give me a moment - I need to switch computers.

heh, no need; it's already there.

Yeah, that link was from my first webspace, which was a free service, and my account soon was deleted for some mysterious reason. Never looked back. I removed the links from that post.

And yes, amazing find Grazza :p

Look no keys!

Map28 UV Pacifist/Speed in 0:31.

Nice route improvement, but not such a good demo. The zip also includes a failed attempt.

*Sensational* route! :-D
I managed to get it into the 0:2x range, with a run of 0:29, but damn this requires a lot of luck...
And I must object, your 0:31 is a good time, I only had one exit below 0:32 (this one), in almost an hour of trying. Or maybe you're just better at these types of runs, what do I know.

BTW, didn't you say that you had no spare time for recording demos? ;-P

Yeah... Spending a couple of hours on these two tricks probably wasn't a good idea. Still, something quite nice has come out of them, and hopefully I'll be able to devote a bit more time to it at some point, perhaps in some other category if you have optimized Pacifist by then. :p

I suppose an optimal route would be to run straight through and hope a revenant follows you through the teleporter (due to its movement being restricted by its comrades). As for the jump, I've tried another way, S50-only I imagine, but which means you don't need to change direction so much beforehand (don't go up the steps so far, and jump across a wider gap).

But as frustrating luckfests go, it will probably be at least as bad as kp13 was.

I still don't really have time to record, but I had an idea that was too good to waste:

Map22 ("Nightfall" by Gary Gosson), UV Speed/Pacifist in 0:26.

Completely new "no keys" route featuring two tricks. I couldn't spend long on this; there's obviously considerable scope for improvement. OK, back to work...

Kristian encouraged me to improve this one:

Map22 ("Nightfall" by Gary Gosson), UV Speed/Pacifist in 0:21.

Still abundantly improvable, though I doubt I could have done this in the midst of a storm, even if it still looks Force-10 style.

Grazza said:
Map22 ("Nightfall" by Gary Gosson), UV Speed/Pacifist in 0:21.

Nice "3 player" coop work on these, though those tough looking buddies of yours were a bit rough on you, heh.

Yeah, but archie had been on the bottle unfortunately. Or maybe he was taking an unhealthy interest in all the coffins in that area of the map. Also, I could have done with a third "coop partner" to open archie's door for me, but no one seemed to want to oblige.

I still think my best coop partner was the sergeant in ic10p005 (Boom-format demo - the only way back then I could find to get a tolerably quick start). His timing was accurate to within a few tics.

Hehe, I am sorry that I kinda screwed up map32 name in my txts. I wrote them by my bad memory. btw i found that I was some 21 secs faster than previous TAS and 4 minutes faster than max, yuppiee :-)
Grazza: map11 tyson seems to be doable. And map12 too, thats even much easier but I am dying in 19/20 tries right after the start. Any trick how to avoid barrels there?

The previous map32 TAS was also Reality, but your route/approach is certainly a massive improvement regardless.

Map11 Tyson wasn't intended as a silly suggestion, but I imagine it would be pretty challenging. I recall one time when the mastermind got killed by the revs, which would be quite a help I guess.

As for map12, I recall more than a decade ago being horrified by the "impossible" start (and eventually settling for a way of hiding near the explosions that didn't always end in death). If you watch the Speed and NM demos (Selim's are included here), you'll get some ideas. Basically you can just run between the barrels (there is a route) and out of the area before they explode (harder on NM, of course, or if you want to avoid damage altogether).

And another of my TASes bites the dust(I think that makes four). I've always felt my route planning abilities were a bit lacking.

Great job, Gusta!

I loved the map19 coop. I've tried to use the multi exit in SP, but had no luck skipping those linedefs (and I wasn't sure how I'd suicide either...).

Map18 is another where you could try to use the multi exit, except all the player starts are the wrong side of the linedefs that close it off. Anyway, I look forward to seeing more of these.

Since I recorded IC03-032, I remembered you could open the back of the compartment with the red skull key, and head out through there, but it's riskier because you have to deal with Imps in front of and behind you. I got 00:31 in an unrecorded session, but I have yet to replicate it in a recording... Hm, I wonder if anybody wants a shot at it. ;)

Hello, Eric! Nice route you found there on ic13. I recorded ic13-031 yesterday morning, but it looks like crap. If anyone wants to see it, I'll upload it. Haven't watched the ic03 demo, but if you want me to take a shot at it, I will. :-)

EDIT:
Okay, here they are, ic03-029 and ic13-031, both very ugly and very improvable.

Kristian Ronge said:

Hello, Eric! Nice route you found there on ic13. I recorded ic13-031 yesterday morning, but it looks like crap. If anyone wants to see it, I'll upload it. Haven't watched the ic03 demo, but if you want me to take a shot at it, I will. :-)

Hello to you too, Kristian!

Well, I'd certainly be interested in seeing how you knocked two seconds off my time on MAP13. :) And about the route, thanks! As indicated in my .txt, it's just a route that I drew while looking at the map in Doom Builder (which I've been doing on every map, so I can look up their secrets and write about them in the Doom Wiki.) That I, of all people, managed to beat a Compet-N player's record this way was unexpected, to say the least.

I've considered filling in the rest of the vacant UV speed spaces in Icarus... Hmm. And if you want to try to get 00:31 or lower on IC03, go ahead. :)

The Green Herring said:
And about the route, thanks! [...] That I, of all people, managed to beat a Compet-N player's record this way was unexpected, to say the least.

Sometimes people don't see the forest because of all the trees... Same goes for speedrunners. ;-) Route improvements are always nice to see, even though you've sometimes worked your arse off to get a good time using an inferior route. Heh, cĀ“est la vie.

I've considered filling in the rest of the vacant UV speed spaces in Icarus... Hmm.

I know Grazza would love to see the table completed. Go for it! :-)

Nice work guys! I would also like to see this table completed. Maybe I could help with a Pacifist on map32 in 0:33. Surprisingly haven't seen any UV run on this map yet but maybe I just overlooked something.

ic32p033.zip