Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

Awkward errors, cant edit anything.

Someone else was mentioning this, but I didn't get it. They wrote "cannot create key.wad", and I was thinking they were trying to create a WAD file called key.wad, but you included the space, which means something entirely different.

It's basically a permissions issue. XWE tries to associate itself with WAD files, but that fails. Please paste this to the beginning your XWE.INI file, it should make it work:

(OPTIONS)
NOREGISTRY=0

Of course you may want the association set up to begin with; but, quite rightly, don't want to risk giving any non-system related program administrator privileges every time it runs. What you could do, and what I did, is run XWE.exe for the first time from the explorer with right-click->Run As Administrator, say "OK" to the warning from Windows, let XWE start, set the path to your default IWAD as usual, then exit. Then put the NOREGISTRY=1 option in XWE.ini file with notepad; subsequently you can run XWE as normal (not as administrator).

Works a treat!

Wow, Thanks a ton! I've been having this problem for more than a year! I'm not the person who made this topic, but I DID come here once and complain about it before, but nobody could help me ='(

I might be the person the second poster is referring to, and now i got XWE working =)

Of course, I'll still go to using SlumpEd when it is necessary ;)

yeh uhh, this prob doesnt have to do with xwe, but vista. i did the thing you said, and it goes "Cannot create C:\Program Files\xwe116\xwe.ini file. Make sure the path and file name are correct." i checked, and then checked again, and its still being a bozo, wat do i do?