Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sinyx

Please help me with XWE and textures!

Ok so I'm asking this here because I still don't understand how to do this. I am building maps, my 2 favorite texture wads are Recolored and Mortres. I cant build with both though and I would like to simply combine the 2 with 2-3 more other texture wads if possible. Explain it to me as simply as possible because I understand nothing of this procedure what so ever. Also I would like to make rain and snow but moving (ambitous for a noob huh?)how would I set this up? Thanks for any help in advance.

There are two ways to do this. Each method has advantages and disadvantages.

METHOD 1

1. Open XWE and open the wad from which you wish to copy your textures.
    2. Select the patches (they will be between P_START and P_END markers) you want to copy.
    3. From the Menu bar select Entry, then Save As.
    4. An Export window pops up. Browse to the appropriate folder into which you wish to save the patches, and press Save [In the File name: field you will see "filename will be ignored". This is because you have multiple selections that you want to save.]
    5. Close the first wad and open the wad into which you wish to copy your patches. Go to the last entry in your existing list of patch names (i.e., the one right before the P_END entry)
    6. From the Menu bar select Entry, then Load. This will load all your patches into your wad in the correct location.
    7. You will need to edit the TEXTURE1 lump to insert your new patches into textures. [Remember that what you insert into a wad are patches from which you must create textures.] I am not sure if there is a way to merge a texture lump from one wad into a texture lump from another wad, but this would be the easiest way to automatically get your new textures. Perhaps you could save the TEXTURE1 lump from your second wad as TEXTURE2 and import it into your first wad. I don't know if this will work, so ask around.]
    ALTERNATIVE: If you want to automatically create textures for all your patches, instead of Step 6 from the list above, double-click on the Patches button on the Filter Tool Bar at the bottom of your screen in XWE. Browse to the folder into which you had saved your patches, make your selection, and press Open. All your patches will be loaded into your wad, and the TEXTURE1 lump will be modified to include textures for all patches. You will still need to go into the TEXTURE1 lump and duplicate multi-patch textures that appear in your second wad.
METHOD 2
    1. Open XWE and open the wad from which you wish to copy your textures.
    2. Select the patches you want to copy.
    3. From the Menu bar select Edit, then Copy.
    4. Close the first wad and open the wad into which you wish to copy your patches. Go to the last entry in your existing list of patch names.
    5. From the Menu bar select Edit, then Paste. This will load all your patches into your wad in the correct location.
    6. You will need to edit the TEXTURE1 lump to insert your new patches into textures.