Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Icarus Demos [-complevel 2]

Gusta said:

Nice work guys! I would also like to see this table completed. Maybe I could help with a Pacifist on map32 in 0:33. Surprisingly haven't seen any UV run on this map yet but maybe I just overlooked something.

Thank you for the suggestion!

IC32-033 - Icarus: Alien Vanguard MAP32: Prestidigitation by Ty Halderman in 00:33 (UV speed)

Heh nice :-) But in fact I did't ask for an UV pacifist in 0:33 but I said that I have already made it. And attached it to the reply ... hope that this feature really works ;-) I said that I haven't found any UV demo for this map because I wasn't sure if that's a new record or not.

Gusta said:

Heh nice :-) But in fact I did't ask for an UV pacifist in 0:33 but I said that I have already made it. And attached it to the reply ... hope that this feature really works ;-) I said that I haven't found any UV demo for this map because I wasn't sure if that's a new record or not.

I misread your post, then. My mistake! :(

Anyway, back to practicing these maps...

Hey your demos are really good too! I am looking forward to watch your next runs. That map32 speed is much more about luck than about a skill. I got there a great luck with archvile and with the demons but rest of run sucks and I could imagine something like 0:26 with a great run and luck all the time.
Btw it also seems to me that there could be possible direct jump/rocket jump over the barrier to exit. But maybe just in a built run.

It's always good to see Icarus demos.

With respect to UV Speed, filling some of the gaps would just be a case of using the same route/tricks as in the NM demos. Some of those with suicide exits they are more difficult or slower with UV, so getting one that looks good may involve a fair bit of effort.

BTW, there were some Icarus coops (by Opulent and myself) in the Prague LAN demopack. Variable quality, but worth mentioning in this thread.

Gusta said:

... hope that this feature really works ;-)

Yes, it does, but I am away from home right now, and only log on every day or two. So it's mostly down to Opulent to approve attachments at the moment, so on average you can expect to have to wait a little longer.

Well, here's another Icarus UV speed demo from me, and the first one that beats a record by significant amount (Brad Spencer's previous 3:21 run on the map.)

IC01-143 - Icarus: Alien Vanguard MAP01: Shuttlecraft by Christopher Buteau in 01:43 (UV speed)

And here's two more for the easiest map in the pack, beating Grazza's NM speed record by one second. ;)

IC30_TGH (IC30-028 and IN30-028) - Icarus: Alien Vanguard MAP30: Nucleus by Ty Halderman, Brian Kidby, and Jim Lowell in 00:28 (UV speed/max and NM speed)

Kristian Ronge said:
Just defending Grazza's honour while he's away on holiday and thus defenseless! ;-D

Actually, his honor is two seconds farther away from his grasp now.

I must admit I also thought "this map needed three authors?", (even before you referred to Olivera's review, when I watched Eric's demos).

My old demo was described in my txt as slow and sloppy (or words to that effect) and was just an NM tablefiller. I don't see any honour as being at stake (if it ever is with demo recording), and I'm pretty sure Kristian's comment was intended to be a bit of light-hearted ribbing.

Grazza said:
I'm pretty sure Kristian's comment was intended to be a bit of light-hearted ribbing.

I thought so too... until in turn you jumped to defend his honor!

Hahah, Grazza could easily do 0:24 if he wants to. :-P
And a light-hearted joke was exactly what it was. :-)

About that three authors thing, maybe they passed the map around, adding a few sectors at a time?

The 1st one turned the computer on, the 2nd one opened the editor and the 3rd one made the map ... and then they went for a beer.

Gusta said:

The 1st one turned the computer on, the 2nd one opened the editor and the 3rd one made the map ... and then they went for a beer.

Heh. ;)

Well, here's a table-filler for MAP09. I'd record a better demo, but I'm too frustrated by this map to do so. Have at it, people.

IC09-121 - Icarus: Alien Vanguard MAP09: The Moat by David "Mentzer" Hill in 01:21 (UV speed)

The Green Herring said:

Well, here's a table-filler for MAP09. I'd record a better demo, but I'm too frustrated by this map to do so. Have at it, people.

IC09-121 - Icarus: Alien Vanguard MAP09: The Moat by David "Mentzer" Hill in 01:21 (UV speed)

Yeah, this map wasn't a pleasant one to run through. The RSK room being half the reason.

Despite the frustration I had while attempting this map, I came up with a nice improvement to the UV-Speed. Got a time of 1:10. Not bad, but certainly improvable in a couple spots (Perhaps by at least 3-5 seconds?).

Will attach this demo.

EDIT: Well, I forgot to actually attach the demo to my post :P. Typed all that above and didn't think to attach it for some crazy reason.

So...I might as well do this how I used to and send it to Ops :P. Haven't done that in awhile.

Hi there, Anima! Nice to see you back in action.

I did map 25 UV speed/pacifist in 0:23. Just a great map, with an amazing trick (as usual) by Grazza. Includes a 0:24 run, and three Ronge style demos, too (including one featuring a chaingunner with unbelievably good aim).

Anima Zero said:

Yeah, this map wasn't a pleasant one to run through. The RSK room being half the reason.

Despite the frustration I had while attempting this map, I came up with a nice improvement to the UV-Speed. Got a time of 1:10. Not bad, but certainly improvable in a couple spots (Perhaps by at least 3-5 seconds?).

Will attach this demo.

EDIT: Well, I forgot to actually attach the demo to my post :P. Typed all that above and didn't think to attach it for some crazy reason.

So...I might as well do this how I used to and send it to Ops :P. Haven't done that in awhile.

http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/ic09-110.zip

Anima Zero said:

Ah, so I'm not alone... :)

Nice 11-second improvement there! Two days ago, I took a look at the map again, and found you could flip both of the boxed switches through the sides of the barriers. However, you need to do so from an incredibly steep angle (close to horizontal!), and I'm not sure if it could be worked into a monsters run. It did save time when I tried it in a -nomonsters practice run, though.

Speaking of which, what's the proper letter to use to indicate a -nomonsters demo for this megawad? ic##o###? I ask because I have four -nomonsters demos I recorded today and I'd like to make sure I've named them correctly. :)

The Green Herring said:
Speaking of which, what's the proper letter to use to indicate a -nomonsters demo for this megawad? ic##o###?

I'd say that sounds good... 'o' is the "standard" nomo naming convention.

Kristian Ronge said:

I'd say that sounds good... 'o' is the "standard" nomo naming convention.

Ah, thanks! That's what I wanted to know.

In any case, here are the demos I made, three of which are for maps that don't have Speed demos of any kind (UV or NM) yet!

ICo-TGH.ZIP - Icarus: Alien Vanguard UV speed -nomonsters demos, including:

• IC11o126 - MAP11: Feeding Frenzy by Gregg Anderson in 01:26
  • IC16o125 - MAP16: Bootcamp by Mike Marcotte in 01:25
  • IC17o102 - MAP17: Bloodbath by Mike Marcotte in 01:02
  • IC18o038 - MAP18: Cargo Bay by Andrew Dowswell in 00:38
EDIT (July 12, 2007): Fixed MAP18 title error in post. Bah!

While just playing casually through Icarus, I took a liking to map10 and did a UV-Max for it. Started at 2:09, then got that down to 2:02 and knew that I could easily get a 1:5x of some sort.

Sure enough, a couple attempts later, I struck gold. I got my 1:5x run. Exact time for it is 1:56. 3 seconds faster than the TAS UV-Max. Can't see much that could be improved aside from a change in the route (Which is indeed different from the TAS run).

Attaching the demo now.

ic10-156.zip

Anima Zero said:

Attaching the demo now.

And now approved and downloadable. (I'm making a post about it rather than just approving it because of the delay in doing so. I am now at home and have caught up with lost sleep, etc.)

Nice, Anima! I noticed a lot of the old max times for Icarus are pretty slow, and I've gotten quite close to the TAS UV max time for another map, actually, while just goofing around. I'll give it some time and try to improve that one shortly.

Anyway, in the meantime we can scratch another undone Icarus NM off the list. I did map 25 NM speed in 0:41. Not a spectacular run by any means, as it's just a first exit, but all the crossfire from the hitscan monsters scattered around that central area becomes really, *really* annoying after a couple of dozen attempts...

I am indeed pleased to see that. I have tried it a few times recently and got a bit fed up with it - now I don't need to try again.

BTW, the target time for map24 Speed should be 0:11, I think. I have a whole clutch of 0:12s, to the extent that I regard that as an unsatisfactory time and don't want to upload any of them.

2 new UV-Max runs done today.

Map 1 in 3:09. Rather tricky for a map 1 of a megawad. Could go perhaps 2-3 seconds faster.

Map 6 in 1:17. Pretty good run considering I shattered the TAS record by 11 seconds. Even so, there's a couple ugly moments in the demo, but this time beats my previous best by 3 seconds. Another 2-3 seconds could be shaved off if anyone is crazy enough to try it.

Packaged them all up in one zipfile and will be attaching it now.

icarus uv-maxruns.zip

Thanks for the map 24 hint, Grazza! It had me cursing a lot, but finally after all those 0:12s an 0:11 popped up.

Map 24 UV speed/pacifist in 0:11.

One new UV-Max today. This one is for map 4. Time for it is 1:32. Another run that is faster than the TAS record for a level. In this case, it's 19 seconds faster.

Optimal time could possible be something like a sub 1:30, but this run went quite well enough (Aside from a couple ugly SSG shots) that I'll leave it as is for the time being.

Attaching the demo now.

ic04-132.zip