Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kev_Boy

The Focus (Doom 2 Remake)

I just released a single-player Doom 3 level. It's a re-make of Doom 2 's fourth level. I made this from the viewpoint of: "If id software had the technology of now, back then... what might this environment have been like?"

I hope I came at least somewhat close! ;)

I appreciate all feedback, both positive and negative. I have plans to do one or a few more and make them even better with what I learn from the release of The Focus.

Here are the links, they contain the download and screenshots.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/24872
http://planetdoom.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Doom3Maps.Detail&id=71

I was thinking about commenting about your level, but since nobody has posted a comment i will fallow ther footsteps and do the same:)

I probably shouldent bother commenting since I dont have D3 currently installed, and therefor wont download this.

But judging from your screenshots comparing to the origional levels, they look pretty good, dark, but good. One question: Is the storage room small or it just looks like that from the screen? That's why the 1st storage was fun, because it was nice and big.

Remember this is just my 2 cents judging by the screenshots.

The dimensions of the map are very close, though the raw brushwork is slightly wider but with the added props and trimming it's very close.

The storage might look smaller because it's a very dim location. But it's not :)

Also I'd like to hope this is the best Doom 2 to Doom 3 level made, if not, I'd sure like to play the best one because I do feel I have a bit of room for improvement but it can't be much.

I only played about two minutes of the map and I do agree about the demensions being tight, I'd say about one third of the original scale. I also would like to add that it's too dark and the health-scale of the enemy is too high. It took about three-four 'point-blank' shotgun blasts to kill the shotgun-dude, [sarge]. This is all I played, simple because it was too dark to continue on.

mac53 said:

I also would like to add that it's too dark and the health-scale of the enemy is too high. It took about three-four 'point-blank' shotgun blasts to kill the shotgun-dude, [sarge]. This is all I played, simple because it was too dark to continue on.

Welcome to Doom 3.

I admit I forgot to change the health values of the enemies to match the original for the classic version (the modern version wasn't going to anyway). For that I apologize.

About it being dark, it's dark but it's not that dark. I advise getting your monitor checked and I know what I'm talking about! If your monitor is of a decent age then you might want to consider a new monitor. Or use the flashlight which I also allow you to use in the classic version despite Doom 2 not having a flashlight :)

In fact, Doom 2 "The Focus" is already dark enough to compete with Doom 3 creations. Compare the main hallway, the yellow key pool, and especially the shut-lights hallway. I haven't played your map myself neither (not enough time), but judging from mac53's post, I believe you've put too many Shotgun guards for Doom 3 standards. Reduce them, they're roughly twice as strong as the bald/blonds from Doom 1 and Doom 2.

I'm actually fairly sure you can alter the hit-points with a simple key/value pair. But as I've said, I forgot.
Good point about The Focus always having been quite dark, that's true.

mac53 said:

I also would like to add that it's too dark

I recommend using “ NoMercy's FlashLight Mod (1.0)”, it’s the best flashlight mod I know!

To the level I can say that it’s all right. I like the graphic details, gameplay and the atmosphere. So, it makes fun to play it, but nevertheless there are some flaws:
The pinky under the bridge (in the near of the electrical disturbance) is too big for this place, that’s why it looks a bit strange and not good... I would remove him. Furthermore, the room infront of the exit room doesn’t look as good as the other rooms, because it is in a mess and too cramed, but maybe less desks or chairs would make it better.

Hopefully you keep on creating Doom3 levels. Looks good so far.