Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cutman

The Ghoul's Forest 3

Since i've posted this everywhere else I felt bad about leaving you guys out, so here ya go.

If you haven't played the other two, you should find them on my website below. If you liked ghoul2, you should be pleased with the final product. Be ready to push your eyes, ears and accuracy to the test!

The wad will have four ghouls, picked at random. Once you've defeated all 4 you win. Though I haven't started putting them into the wad yet, the sprites are all done and ready to scare. The ghoul's will be known as the Creeper, Yurei (the one previously planned), the Jitterskull and Sjas (The same ghoul as the ghoul in ghoul2). Yurei will always appear as the final ghoul, and be the toughest to beat. Apart from Sjas the ghoul's will behave differently from the previous two wads, so don't worry about it being the same old run away and shoot routine.

See my webpage for more info and a trailer:
http://gothic.34sp.com/ghoul.htm

Or go here for progress:
http://forum.zdoom.org/potato.php?t=13704&start=0

Sounds interesting, I'll definetly play through this one. For some reason the Ghoul reminds me the movie Pitch Black with these flying things in the dark.
Can I ask for a starry sky instead a normal flat as ceiling?

The map is already finished though so suggesting stuff would be pointless (and delay it more). I also feel more cramped with the ceiling so i'm afraid you're gonna have to put up with it :P

Eh, I actually think the first idea for Ghoul's Forest 3 was a great idea. The new plan sounds more or less the same as the original Ghoul's Forest only with a bigger map and slightly different Ghouls.

Craigs said:

The new plan sounds more or less the same as the original Ghoul's Forest only with a bigger map and slightly different Ghouls.

Slow down there Sherlock.

Craigs said:

Eh, I actually think the first idea for Ghoul's Forest 3 was a great idea. The new plan sounds more or less the same as the original Ghoul's Forest only with a bigger map and slightly different Ghouls.

Yeah I wanted to go with that but since Coop played such a huge part in Ghoul 2 I decided to stick to the original gameplay.

Did I mention I was planning to find you after playing ghoul 2? I played it, I thought it was, as they say in the old country, "FREAKING SWEET, DUDE!" I am SO looking forward to this. I bow to thine skills.

(Wait, everywhere? I didn't see it on newdoom.)

Well not EVERYWHERE but everywhere I go :p. Feel free to talk about it over there though, although I dunno if any newdoom guys are interested in this sort of thing.

I'm looking forward to Ghoul's Forest 3.

Several months ago I made my own level for me to play named the Ghoul's Jungle and it uses Sjas and it behaves the same way, except its bigger, darker and has a more dark and swampy feeling to it. I didn't release the level to the archives because I was stealing the resources from ghoul2.wad such as the Sjasface, the scream and vine texture. I just did it for personal fun. Though I might release it with permission from the author, if the archives ever come back.

pcorf, I did something similar, but it was a tech theme, and there were 2 sjas'. :P
Still looking forward to this wad! The Face your fears wad was farking scary. 0.0

Ok this should be released fairly soon. I'm just waiting for some guy (I won't mention because others will pester him :P) to do some archer sprites for me.

BTW I heard idgames was down or something. Does that mean I can't upload yet?

Yays, me downloading.

Edit:
:-( Invalid zip file

Two words.

FUCK.
NO.

Gah! It won't download!
Edit

Can somebody rapidshare it?

nice.
really nice.
i appreciate this so much since i myself have a "scary" wad in the works.
it's pretty difficult too because of the darkness.
so far i have only seen jitter skull, sjas, and creeper and they are all excellent.
can't wait to see yurei.
-
alright, just beat it.
i got lucky on yurei...i just happened to fire off an arrow in a general direction and got her.
although the credits sequence is nice and all, i kind of wish there was just a bit of text/story at the end even if it is something generic about you triumphing over your fear, etc...

Who said it's over?! :p

There might be a few tweaks before I upload to idgames so you might want to redownload. Also for the ST nuts i'll need to make a seperate version.

Hmm, cheap popups and loud distorted screams... I think I'll pass on this cheap novelty "shock" wad. Showing images of dead bodies randomly does not make a good horror wad, they are just cheap talentless tricks to make anyone get suprised.

Now for the good news: I like your platform maps!

zap610 said:

Hmm, cheap popups and loud distorted screams... I think I'll pass on this cheap novelty "shock" wad. Showing images of dead bodies randomly does not make a good horror wad, they are just cheap talentless tricks to make anyone get suprised.

Cheap talentless trick? Thanks :(. Did you even play it or just hear from someone else?

Ok, I was harsh I'll admit but I mean c'mon you should not need to rely on showing shock images to make the wad scary. You did get the atmosphere though so in a way it really was not needed. What I was mainly saying is you did not need to resort to shock images to make a spooky wad, I know you can do better. I guess if you had fun making it and people had fun playing it that's what truely matters. And no, I did not hear this from others.

Can skulls get aids?!

Also sorry you didn't like it zap. Maybe my next spooky wad (if I make one) will have what you desire ;)

Uh sorry, but I found the other two more scary. The high res graphics kinda ruined the atmosphere (imo). Yeah, then I switched to low res, expecting to see all the graphics in normal resolution, but for my surprise some of them were still in high res, which didn't fit neither (imo of course).

One of the ghouls is a Madball, which isn't a good thing at all (http://www.x-entertainment.com/updates/pics/maddy.jpg).
I didn't like neither the showcase of random dead faces when the last ghoul gets you. Ok the first time worked, but then just turned annoying.
The more detailed you make the trees, the more obvious the copy-past job.

Overall, not a bad wad, but not what I expected.

Wow someone else who remembers those ball things! I used to have those. But I didn't base the jitterskull on that. I just found a random skull image and gave it red eyes.