Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Steve

XWE Sucks

Seriously, I keep getting errors that say "The currently open file was modified by an external program. To avoid file corruption, You should close then reopen this file."

If something was actually modifying the file, I would do something about it... but there is nothing else using the file.

So... is something being done about it? I downloaded the latest beta and it SEEMED to be working again... but I don't know.

I've never had such an error, so perhaps its system specific or in a part of the XWE code for features I don't normally use...

XWE works fine for me as long as I don't open it on two different editors at once and don't do anything while its processing any data.

Xaechireon: the warning that was added is specifically for the situation you mention, that is, opening the WAD file with another editor while it's open in XWE.

I think I may have explained the details before but here it is again. Assume you have a WAD with two lumps. Lump A is at position 1000 and lump B is at position 2000 within the file. XWE reads this info once, when the file is opened. Now you modify the WAD with another program, let's say you make lump A bigger, so now lump B starts from 2500. If you now modify lump B in XWE, that lump will be saved back to 2000, overwriting and corrupting lump A.

People used to complain about lumps and WADs being corrupted in XWE. This is just a safeguard that this doesn't happen. It's just a simple message... You can even ignore it if you want to. It really shouldn't be popping up all the time.

If it does, try to re-create the steps you've taken. Perhaps I missed something, but I'd need to be able to see what.